Who/what can stop Dublin?

Started by ONeill, April 27, 2014, 10:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: INDIANA on August 11, 2014, 10:04:28 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 11, 2014, 09:59:30 AM
Absolutely no cutting edge in the FF line though.

They need everyone chipping in. If they get that they can win.

Tactically they blew it last year by failing to notice Dublin had 14 men for the last quarter because EOG couldn't run and another player was concussed.

Only for that they could have won.

All 3 teams left can beat us. We've looked better then we are because none of the teams we have played are contenders .

You're good at giving us a false sense of hope! ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

beer baron

Wouldn't be overly surprised if Donegal beat them.

People forget only about 18 months back a lot of people were saying the Donegal machine is unbeatable and other than Mark Mc Hugh i canty think of anyone else is missing?Mc Faddens form is a worry but some other players are hitting form at the right time,Lacey,Mc Niallais and Mc Brearty for starters. Murphy will hopefully be left inside and i really do think Donegal will go close.

rodney trotter

I would rate Ryan McHugh as a better footballer then Mark , more natural ability. Ryan Bradley and Ross Wherity were 2 other lads they don't have from last year, both players made impact from the bench. Bradley had a great year in 2012.

It would also be good to see Donegal win as there wouldnt be 1000 threads on Dublin on here all the time. They are a class side but the hype is annoying.

heffo

Quote from: beer baron on August 11, 2014, 08:26:14 PM

People forget only about 18 months back a lot of people were saying the Donegal machine is unbeatable.

We're they??

Saffrongael

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 11, 2014, 08:31:59 PM
I would rate Ryan McHugh as a better footballer then Mark , more natural ability. Ryan Bradley and Ross Wherity were 2 other lads they don't have from last year, both players made impact from the bench. Bradley had a great year in 2012.

It would also be good to see Donegal win as there wouldnt be 1000 threads on Dublin on here all the time. They are a class side but the hype is annoying.

Where is Ross Wherrity this year ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

INDIANA

And who is fuelling the hype? It ain't us.

I disagree with you on the above. Mark is a far better player then Ryan in that particular role.

Ryan always looks like a half back to me. Still a very good footballer however.

It s a pity for Donegal Wherity went to NY.

beer baron

Quote from: heffo on August 11, 2014, 08:32:58 PM

People forget only about 18 months back a lot of people were saying the Donegal machine is unbeatable.

We're they??

Yes

Rossfan

We're they??
They were indeed- mainly Ulster bucks on here.
They were also saying that Donegal were the only county team that could bate Crossmaglen  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Donegal's high intensity defensive tactics are hard to sustain and they haven't the depth to cover gaps. McFadden's loss of form is a problem for Donegal, as they don't have a ready replacement, Dublin wouldn't even notice someone losing form, they would just wheel in someone else.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

heffo

Quote from: beer baron on August 11, 2014, 08:59:37 PM

We're they??

Yes

Can't say I noticed it tbh - pretty shrewd judges whoever they were

BennyHarp

Quote from: Saffrongael on August 11, 2014, 08:35:46 PM

I think he played for New York in the championship
That was never a square ball!!

Thisonegoesto11

Yes but most of the threads are started by non Dubs. Dubs ourselves are not doing much hype. The word is used about Dublin regardless..

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: heffo on August 11, 2014, 09:32:06 PM
Quote from: beer baron on August 11, 2014, 08:59:37 PM

We're they??

Yes

Can't say I noticed it tbh - pretty shrewd judges whoever they were

Brolly was one of them, called them a "football superbug".

rodney trotter

Quote from: Saffrongael on August 11, 2014, 08:35:46 PM

In New York,
Article in the Examiner before they played Mayo

You may recall, in November 2012, Finance Minister Noonan was slated for having the audacity to suggest a lot of young Irish people had emigrated for "lifestyle reasons".

The remark caused outrage but it neatly explains why Ross Wherity finds himself wearing a red, white and blue jersey in Gaelic Park tomorrow rather than a yellow and green one in Celtic Park in three weeks' time.

Donegal has its virtues but then New York has too — and then some.

"It was more adventure for me, I think," he says. "You are moving to one of the best cities in the world, craziest cities in the world. You need football there in your life to keep you sane, I think. Out partying and all that kind of stuff, but to get back down to the hard work, it's good to be grounded and have the lads around you.

"It's a great network as well to have, to be able to rely upon all the boys there, jobs-wise it's good for that there as well, contacts in the city, there is a lot of influence within the football. It is a great thing to have.

"Football is the one thing you would miss from not being back home at the minute — the culture of football, being in and around the county set-up and looking forward to going training on Tuesday and Thursday. But with New York now, you have that there yourself and we are really looking forward to Sunday now to get a good crack at Mayo."

A goalscorer in Donegal's fever pitch win over Tyrone in Ballybofey 12 months ago, Wherity wasn't prepared to stay around and launch another Championship assault with a group several of whom will retire from inter-county football at the end of the year.

He wasn't alone. Ryan Bradley emigrated to the Middle East. With a law and economics degree from DCU in his back pocket, Wherity is now working with a financial company in New York and intends staying there for the foreseeable future. "I've applied for another visa, waiting on that. That'll be 50-50, otherwise I'll be going out to look for an American girl!"

The Letterkenny man is as much a character as a free spirit. "I suppose we are still amateur players at the end of the day and me, personally, I wouldn't feel that much pressure playing. Some guys kind of get wound up by it all and that kind of stuff."

His recollection of his brief flirtation with Australian Rules is colourful: "I was down for a year with Ricky Nixon, whenever he was having his debacle," he says referring to the infamous agent who has his accreditation suspended by the AFL after reports of an inappropriate affair with a 17-year-old girl.

Wherity bought into Jim McGuinness's strict doctrine, but only for a while. He might have stepped away from it but his appreciation for his set-up is just as strong as it was when he was part of it.

"Obviously, some people back home they don't like change, they're a bit insular like that. People look at Jim McGuinness and they said 'what's this guy playing at?' He managed to win an All-Ireland out of it and the next season everyone is copying his tactics.

"Monaghan turned the tables on us in the Ulster final, played an ultra-defensive game on us and we weren't even able to beat our system. People might have been giving out about it but they were looking at it, and they admired it as well in that sense."

Rory Kavanagh's red card didn't help but he was surprised they didn't beat Monaghan in last Sunday's Division 2 final, having spent time training in Portugal a week before the game.

He can draw parallels between Donegal and New York now, as they prepare to face Mayo.

"Obviously, Jim takes it to another level with tactics and the defensive side of things. Obviously, that's the way the game is going too. Ian [Galvin] has put a plan together in place to stop Mayo functioning as much as they would like.

"Obviously, probably looking at Jim McGuinness and even Dublin to an extent, these guys have brought the game to another level. That's what we want to try and do — implement our plan and try force Mayo to play in a style they don't want to play. Hopefully, that will reap dividends for us on the day and we put in a good performance.

"From the outset last year [before the Tyrone game], Jim McGuinness, he just kept reiterating 'May 26, May 26', to us, but it was the same over here — 'May 4, May 4'. Everything's geared towards that one day for us, especially over here where we don't have a competitive game or we don't have a backdoor system.

"It's really do-or-die on the day and putting it all into this one day it's the only reason why we are out there training in cold weather and the pissing rain. We are really looking forward to getting out there in the sunshine on Sunday and giving Mayo a good crack."

Wherity has more appetite than most to deliver against Mayo having been at the receiving end of Donegal's crushing 16-point defeat to them in last August's All-Ireland quarter-final. "They don't even have a plan in place if we win," he remarks.

So enthused is he by the prospect of revenge that he believes beating them would knock them out of the championship before being corrected (Galway's close shave in Gaelic Park in 2010 ensured the visiting Connacht team would get a second bite of the cherry). Does he genuinely feel New York can pull off a victory that would put everything fellow exiles London achieved last year firmly in the shade?

"I have to say yes, don't I?" he smiles. "You are not playing this game to go out and get hammered by Mayo. Looking at the last few years, I was surprised why the scores against the lesser teams were so bad, losing by 20-22 points.

"Mayo coming over here, it will really heighten our sense of the occasion. If you look back at the results, New York have played better against Galway and Mayo.

"It's the sense of occasion and they realise what's in front of them and what they really need to achieve and so it brings the best out of players, by all accounts."

beer baron