Who/what can stop Dublin?

Started by ONeill, April 27, 2014, 10:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

According to Brolly, Dublin took their tactics from Crossmaglen, so I expect they'll go only succeed for about the same period as  Crossmaglen.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyHarp

I think yesterday's results worked out perfectly for Donegal. Dublin looked untouchable as they cruised to victory against a Monaghan side who Jimmy McGuinness was virtually doing somersaults after beating in the Ulster Final. Meanwhile Donegal themselves squeeze past a decent but very limited Armagh side by a solitary point, putting in a performance, which if repeated in the semi final, won't put them within an asses roar of Dublin. Now, the 2012 All Ireland Champions go into the semi final against the 2013 champions without anyone giving them a chance and being completely written off in some quarters, against a team already being touted as the greatest ever. (Paddy Power has Dublin 1/10 and Donegal 7/1) Jimmy will be rubbing his hands at this scenario. I remember Tyrone being written off in a similar fashion in 2008 in the lead up to their QF meeting with Dublin after they had sneaked past Mayo in the qualifiers and the Dubs had given Wexford a 23 point hammering in the Leinster final. A mate of mine said of Tyrone before the game that you should never write off a team of players who have All Ireland medals in their back pockets. Granted Dublin are much better than they were in 08 but I wouldn't be surprised that n a one off game, Donegal can turn the Dubs over. I'll have a small £10 bet at 7/1 anyway.
That was never a square ball!!

orangeman

1-10 in all AI semi final ? They were better odds in their genes in Leinster which just shows how much better they've become since. Those might sound crazy odds but the 17 point demolition of Monaghan more than justifies the bookmaker's view.

Thisonegoesto11

The 4 semi finalists have turned out as most predicted. None of the 4 will have faced opponents as tough as each other so far in the championship. So for me previous form goes out window to an extent.  Dublin have to beat two of Donegal/Mayo/Kerry. That still remains a tough ask regardless of what has gone on already. All 4 have planned to peak for the last weekends of August. These will be serious games and by no means a cake walk for anyone , including Dublin.

Jinxy

I now think Kerry have the best shot at beating the Dubs.
Best combination of all round football ability, scoring power plus tactical nous.
What a game it would be though.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ballinaman

Quote from: Jinxy on August 11, 2014, 09:39:47 AM
Best combination of all round football ability, scoring power plus tactical nous.
The peoples final....

yellowcard

Don't see that at all. Provided Mayo avoid getting stage fright when faced with a Kerry jersey I'd expect them to make the final. In that scenario Mayo's final jitters will ensure that Dublin should cruise to back to back titles. I'd love to see Mayo winning it but I feel it might be better were they to lose in the semi than avoid the mental torture of losing 3 AI finals in a row. In any case I feel as though the AI title will be decided on 31 August between Dublin and Donegal. If McGuinness pulls this one off he deserves to be heralded amongst the managerial greats considering the gulf in ability between the sides, however he has defied the odds before.

Jinxy

I'm not saying Kerry will beat Mayo.
I'm saying that in a final, Kerry would have a better chance against Dublin than Mayo.
Forget about Donegal, Dublin will give them the same treatment Mayo did last year.

INDIANA

Mayo have a better shot in my view because they have a brilliant half back line and great fielding ability at midfield. That's why they caused us so many problems last year

Jinxy

Absolutely no cutting edge in the FF line though.

INDIANA

Quote from: Jinxy on August 11, 2014, 09:59:30 AM

They need everyone chipping in. If they get that they can win.

Tactically they blew it last year by failing to notice Dublin had 14 men for the last quarter because EOG couldn't run and another player was concussed.

Only for that they could have won.

All 3 teams left can beat us. We've looked better then we are because none of the teams we have played are contenders .

Ohtoohtobe

Agree that Dublin-Donegal will be similar to Mayo-Donegal last year. Think Mayo best-placed to give Dublin something resembling a match - only team that can possibly compete with them in terms of pace and power. I look at the goal chances Kerry gave up to Galway, think of Dublin running at them, and come to the conclusion that in the long run, Kerry might be better off losing to Mayo.

AQMP

Quote from: orangeman on August 11, 2014, 12:17:04 AM
1-10 in all AI semi final ? They were better odds in their genes in Leinster which just shows how much better they've become since. Those might sound crazy odds but the 17 point demolition of Monaghan more than justifies the bookmaker's view.

For bookies the odds don't necessarily reflect the likelihood of an event, they reflect where the money is going.  So if all the money is going on Dublin then the bookies will look at the potential liability and will shorten their price and lengthen Donegal's to make a punt on Donegal more attractive and a punt on the Dubs less attractive.

armaghniac

Quote from: AQMP on August 11, 2014, 11:00:14 AM
For bookies the odds don't necessarily reflect the likelihood of an event, they reflect where the money is going.  So if all the money is going on Dublin then the bookies will look at the potential liability and will shorten their price and lengthen Donegal's to make a punt on Donegal more attractive and a punt on the Dubs less attractive.

While Dublin are now a real certainty, in the past you could profit from betting by simply betting against Dublin as the weight of money was always on Dublin and the odds for the other team better as a consequence.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Johnnybegood

Quote from: INDIANA on August 11, 2014, 10:04:28 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 11, 2014, 09:59:30 AM

They need everyone chipping in. If they get that they can win.

Tactically they blew it last year by failing to notice Dublin had 14 men for the last quarter because EOG couldn't run and another player was concussed.

Only for that they could have won.

All 3 teams left can beat us. We've looked better then we are because none of the teams we have played are contenders .
they actually only had 13 OCarroll was wandering around the hf line concussed before Ogara was injured.