New Saints

Started by DrinkingHarp, April 27, 2014, 09:17:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: T Fearon on April 27, 2014, 12:54:28 PM
There was a lady who due to intercession 're John Paul II whose recovery from terminal illness confounded all expert medical opinion

Must be a lot of Parkinsons sufferers who are praying to the dead pope hoping for a cure then so.

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on April 27, 2014, 12:54:28 PM
There was a lady who due to intercession 're John Paul II whose recovery from terminal illness confounded all expert medical opinion
Well it's clear then- there can only be one possible explanation.

T Fearon

Thankfully the miniscule number of anti catholic bigots on this board contrast vastly with the vast number of faithful Irish Catholics who attended celebratory masses all over Ireland yesterday,including Knock,Ballybrit Racecourse etc

Eamonnca1

And were they praying to this new patron saint of paedophiles and cover-ups?

Black Card

Quote from: T Fearon on April 28, 2014, 07:27:31 AM
Thankfully the miniscule number of anti catholic bigots on this board contrast vastly with the vast number of faithful Irish Catholics who attended celebratory masses all over Ireland yesterday,including Knock,Ballybrit Racecourse etc

Brain washed deluded souls, you have to feel sorry for them but there was loads of collection plates passed round, the money seems to be the only concern for the Catholic church!

Black Card

Quote from: BennyCake on April 28, 2014, 12:58:41 AM
Quote from: muppet on April 27, 2014, 02:21:26 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on April 27, 2014, 10:33:57 AM
Both have been responsible for miracles.The only hypocrisy is the attendance of Enda Kenny

I agree, we should be boycotting any Vatican events until they release all the records they have on their abuse of our children.

Terrible as it was, the Catholic Church has done a lot worse down the centuries.

Is not going to mass considered a boycott of a Vatican event? It is all run from there after all.

I think the thing is not to connect the Catholic Church and God. Boycotting mass because of the abuse thing is a nonsensical reason. Surely you go there to worship your god? What does it matter who says the mass?

See my previous post!

As for the bit what does it matter who says the mass - says more about you kid, so a convicted child abuser is OK to say the mass? You couldn't make this shite up!

orangeman

Saint Jim of Round Towers.

johnneycool

Quote from: orangeman on April 28, 2014, 09:00:01 AM
Saint Jim of Round Towers.

Or St Ryan of Old Trafford, patron saint of the virtuous, he's as good a shout as any.

muppet

Both have been responsible for miracles.The only hypocrisy is the attendance of Enda Kenny

I agree, we should be boycotting any Vatican events until they release all the records they have on their abuse of our children.

Terrible as it was, the Catholic Church has done a lot worse down the centuries.

Is not going to mass considered a boycott of a Vatican event? It is all run from there after all.

I think the thing is not to connect the Catholic Church and God. Boycotting mass because of the abuse thing is a nonsensical reason. Surely you go there to worship your god? What does it matter who says the mass?

What on earth are you on about? Who said anything about mass or how to 'worship your God'.

Kenny was at the Vatican in his capacity as Head of State. The event was the Beatification of two Popes. One of those Popes allowed his right hand man to cover up the abuse of Irish children for decades. This cover up continues. That is why I believe Kenny should have boycotted the event.
MWWSI 2017

BennyCake

And Cardinal Brady attends Armagh home games. Should we all boycott these matches?

BennyCake

Quote from: Black Card on April 28, 2014, 08:19:58 AM

See my previous post!

As for the bit what does it matter who says the mass - says more about you kid, so a convicted child abuser is OK to say the mass? You couldn't make this shite up!

How many are actually convicted abusers? Surely that's he issue here, that there's very little because of cover ups.

johnneycool

Quote from: BennyCake on April 28, 2014, 02:16:36 PM
Quote from: Black Card on April 28, 2014, 08:19:58 AM

See my previous post!

How many are actually convicted abusers? Surely that's he issue here, that there's very little because of cover ups.

why is there a need to go to mass to 'worship your god' at all?

The Iceman

Organized Christianity was instituted by Jesus. It's well documented in the Gospels. Jesus chose Simon as His first Pope. He changed his name to Peter which means "Rock" and told him he was the foundation of the church. He gave him the keys to the Kingdom and responsibility for the Church. Without organized religion then we'd all just be making up our own rules as we went along.
But as usual we have two different discussions. The fact that two saints have been appointed (from most of our lifetime) versus the good old does God exist debate. Which usually devolves into bashing and name calling.

John 23rd was the Pope two Popes before JP II (I think). Not sure what he did but JP II's attributed Miracles are well documented. I was always a fan of JP II but that has been tainted by the sex abuse coverup. I still can't discount his successes as a man and a Pope though. He has a long history of amazing acts of forgiveness (after his attempted assassination) to his time in Poland which in many ways sparked the end of Communism.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

johnneycool

Quote from: The Iceman on April 28, 2014, 04:36:31 PM
Organized Christianity was instituted by Jesus. It's well documented in the Gospels. Jesus chose Simon as His first Pope. He changed his name to Peter which means "Rock" and told him he was the foundation of the church. He gave him the keys to the Kingdom and responsibility for the Church. Without organized religion then we'd all just be making up our own rules as we went along.
But as usual we have two different discussions. The fact that two saints have been appointed (from most of our lifetime) versus the good old does God exist debate. Which usually devolves into bashing and name calling.

John 23rd was the Pope two Popes before JP II (I think). Not sure what he did but JP II's attributed Miracles are well documented. I was always a fan of JP II but that has been tainted by the sex abuse coverup. I still can't discount his successes as a man and a Pope though. He has a long history of amazing acts of forgiveness (after his attempted assassination) to his time in Poland which in many ways sparked the end of Communism.

That for some reason made me smile..

Nally Stand

Quote from: Black Card on April 14, 2014, 03:37:10 PM
gullible

Quote from: Black Card on April 14, 2014, 03:37:10 PM
naive.

Quote from: Black Card on April 28, 2014, 08:16:31 AM
Brain washed

Quote from: Black Card on April 28, 2014, 08:16:31 AM
deluded souls

Some of your recent descriptions of people with religious belief. And you're still convincing yourself that you aren't mocking such people?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore