DERRY V DUBLIN - ALLIANZ FOOTBALL LEAGUE FINAL

Started by The Hill is Blue, April 21, 2014, 01:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on April 22, 2014, 05:52:38 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 22, 2014, 01:34:33 PM
Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on April 22, 2014, 01:23:54 PM
Cant wait for this one, Fergal vs Mickey D, I will have my binoculars trained on this battle from the lower cusack.

Always had good relations with the derry folks up in clones, and most recently in our all ireland 1/4 final and league outings ..................... dont seem to carry the chip such as laois, kildare and mayo folk

Ah yes, the Clones match. Wasn't that were you all got lost and missed half the match?

No Im afraid that was thurles against kerry  ;)

Ah right. So it was that other time you played outside Dublin...

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 22, 2014, 05:48:15 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on April 21, 2014, 09:35:58 PM
Derry will probably start with 14 of the team that beat Mayo; Sean Leo out, with Craig probably in his place.

It is an unexpected day out for us and dublin will probably win. We need to come through this injury free and suspension free.
I'd have thought he'd start mcAlyn at whb - craig fouls too much and the new rules don't suit him

Hope Derry don't get the rabbit in the headlights and freeze as its the dubs in croke park as we have done all too much in the past (except 93)

still, tickets booked, looking forward to it and hoping we give a good perf firstly, then maybe even win it.

but it could go horribly wrong too
still there is no pressure as Dublin are red hot favourites and a good side/barometer to measure against
hope its a sunny day, we enjoy it and we pick up no new Injuries as Donegal are lurking

pity it is a double header as the atmosphere is always lacking on such days

Jury's before the game?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on April 23, 2014, 07:43:39 PM
Derry will probably start with 14 of the team that beat Mayo; Sean Leo out, with Craig probably in his place.

It is an unexpected day out for us and dublin will probably win. We need to come through this injury free and suspension free.
I'd have thought he'd start mcAlyn at whb - craig fouls too much and the new rules don't suit him

Hope Derry don't get the rabbit in the headlights and freeze as its the dubs in croke park as we have done all too much in the past (except 93)

still, tickets booked, looking forward to it and hoping we give a good perf firstly, then maybe even win it.

still there is no pressure as Dublin are red hot favourites and a good side/barometer to measure against
hope its a sunny day, we enjoy it and we pick up no new Injuries as Donegal are lurking

Jury's before the game?
Yeah - I'd hope to get in to see both games so will see you there around 1?
Or earlier...
Will have the OC with me , so prepare for a few questions but expect no answers in response!
Was to meet your Tyronie 'cousin' last time but the OC only decided he was going that morning so plans were feckt. Hopefully this time.
We should prob expect another glorious defeat but you never know with Derry!

You still have my mob number?

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 23, 2014, 07:56:51 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on April 23, 2014, 07:43:39 PM

Jury's before the game?
Yeah - I'd hope to get in to see both games so will see you there around 1?
Or earlier...
Will have the OC with me , so prepare for a few questions but expect no answers in response!
Was to meet your Tyronie 'cousin' last time but the OC only decided he was going that morning so plans were feckt. Hopefully this time.
We should prob expect another glorious defeat but you never know with Derry!

You still have my mob number?

Train will get us in round 12, so Jury's shortly after that. The Tyrone cousin contacted me before semi, explained my absence. Would hope he'd be there for final.

Will text when I land.

Real Talk

Quote from: J OGorman on April 22, 2014, 06:08:25 PM
Agreed with Lynchy above but I'd say McAlynn will be posted at CHB with Gerd pushed out, horses for courses. 
Should be a decent enough atmosphere as all counties bar wersells will bring decent numbers, though the thousands of the half cut brigade squeezing in past after the Liverpool Chelsea game will be a treat, not
Hopefully we get something out of the game to keep us lit til we come unstuck against Donegals 14 man defence ;-)

I actually think Charlie Kielt ( S Leo is not really replaceable ) could start at wing back and agree that unless there are injuries that is the only position up for grabs from the team that started against Mayo.  From a Derry perspective a good performance is the aim and the Dubs should have a few scores to spare at the final whistle.  Here's hoping we don't getting any more injuries

The Hill is Blue

From Hill16.ie

Dubs make three changes for NFL final against Derry   25/04/2014    

Bernard Brogan will start his first match for Dublin since last September's All-Ireland SFC final when the Dubs face Derry in this Sunday's NFL Division 1 final at Croke Park (4.0).

The St Oliver Plunkett's/Eoghan Ruadh man was sprung from the bench in Dublin's semi-final victory over Cork to telling effect, scoring five points (three frees).

There are two other changes to the starting 15 from the one which began against the Rebels last time out with Cian O'Sullivan returning to action at midfield, in place of Declan O'Mahony while Eoghan O'Gara will line out at full-forward with Kevin McManamon making way in the attack.

DUBLIN (SF v Derry)
Stephen Cluxton (Parnell's)
Philly McMahon (Ballymun Kickhams)
Rory O'Carroll (Kilmacud Crokes)
Jonny Cooper (Na Fianna)
James McCarthy (Ballymun Kickhams)
Nicky Devereux (Ballinteer St John's)
Kevin Nolan (Kilmacud Crokes)
Michael Darragh Macauley (Ballyboden St Enda's)
Cian O'Sullivan (Kilmacud Crokes)
Paul Flynn (Fingallians)
Paddy Andrews (St Brigid's)
Diarmuid Connolly (St Vincent's)
Alan Brogan (St Oliver Plunkett's/Eoghan Ruadh)
Eoghan O'Gara (Templeogue Synge St)
Bernard Brogan (St Oliver Plunkett's/Eoghan Ruadh)
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

J OGorman

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on April 25, 2014, 10:41:51 PM
From Hill16.ie

Dubs make three changes for NFL final against Derry   25/04/2014    

Bernard Brogan will start his first match for Dublin since last September's All-Ireland SFC final when the Dubs face Derry in this Sunday's NFL Division 1 final at Croke Park (4.0).

The St Oliver Plunkett's/Eoghan Ruadh man was sprung from the bench in Dublin's semi-final victory over Cork to telling effect, scoring five points (three frees).

There are two other changes to the starting 15 from the one which began against the Rebels last time out with Cian O'Sullivan returning to action at midfield, in place of Declan O'Mahony while Eoghan O'Gara will line out at full-forward with Kevin McManamon making way in the attack.

DUBLIN (SF v Derry)
Stephen Cluxton (Parnell's)
Philly McMahon (Ballymun Kickhams)
Rory O'Carroll (Kilmacud Crokes)
Jonny Cooper (Na Fianna)
James McCarthy (Ballymun Kickhams)
Nicky Devereux (Ballinteer St John's)
Kevin Nolan (Kilmacud Crokes)
Michael Darragh Macauley (Ballyboden St Enda's)
Cian O'Sullivan (Kilmacud Crokes)
Paul Flynn (Fingallians)
Paddy Andrews (St Brigid's)
Diarmuid Connolly (St Vincent's)
Alan Brogan (St Oliver Plunkett's/Eoghan Ruadh)
Eoghan O'Gara (Templeogue Synge St)
Bernard Brogan (St Oliver Plunkett's/Eoghan Ruadh)

Beatable ;-)

lynchbhoy

Every team is beatable - whether Derry can do it is another matter.
They could but possibly lack exp and a bit of firepower and strength in depth - or a combo of all three - ESP with Sean Leo inj.

Dublin defense will hardly line out like that with devereaux marking lynch - or is dublins plan to put mark on the back foot chasing after a roving CHB?

Dublin may not line up with these xv starting anyhow!

Close to dublins best/championship xv too!

Great game for Derry to be involved with and their carefree attitude will have a go at the champs.
As long as we don't pick up inj , we've nothing to lose and will gain a lot.

Looking forward to it and maybe see a few stalwarts in jury's beforehand!

Wildweasel74

For a supposed 3rd string line out up in celtic park like some dubs said, there 10 of that team which played up there., there was talk of 8 or 9 men to come into that team, still think derry could be stronger later in the year with maybe 2 mcgoldricks, Bell and McCloskey back, possible Bradley, maybe McKinless, its that strength in depth we need on the bench to get us over the edge in tight games

Hill16 Blues

ROC, Connolly, Flynn and Brogan didn't play league game. Fairly critical players for Dublin

Still missing; Brennan, McCaffrey, Bastick, Mannion, Costello, Rock and obviously Kilkenny who won't be back this year. There's another 2/3 u21s who'll be close to getting a run - Lowndes, Carthy & o'Conaghaile if fit.

Despite that Dublin a lot stronger than league game v Derry. Expecting tough & close game on Sun.

Wildweasel74

Some man want to tell me how i form this in a link
the good old days when men were men and throw up were Rugby line outs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caMVfS6pjvw

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 26, 2014, 01:36:04 AM

Good man Wildweasel74

Here's another one showing the great Sean O'Connell's goal in the 1975 AI Semi Final. I was at that game and again at the League final between Derry and Dublin in 1976 which the Dubs won by a point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qsvizBjOPQ
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Mario

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 26, 2014, 01:36:04 AM

No fist passing in those days by the look of it, the other noticeable difference is how the players kick the ball, throw it up in the air before volleying it, like a soccer goalkeeper kicking from the hands

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Hill16 Blues on April 26, 2014, 12:51:39 AM
ROC, Connolly, Flynn and Brogan didn't play league game. Fairly critical players for Dublin

Still missing; Brennan, McCaffrey, Bastick, Mannion, Costello, Rock and obviously Kilkenny who won't be back this year. There's another 2/3 u21s who'll be close to getting a run - Lowndes, Carthy & o'Conaghaile if fit.

Despite that Dublin a lot stronger than league game v Derry. Expecting tough & close game on Sun.
An embarrassment of riches!
You can only play with xv !
We could debate all day on who you would drop!
I'd only really see McCaffrey as improving the team. Brennan I like but devereaux IMO should get a place somewhere!
IMO Kilkenny is not up to intercounty top level games yet. Also if he doesn't learn to speed up his play he never will. The Ciaran McDonald style looks great but the game has progressed into a faster dynamic!
Also I'm not do sure Alan Brogan is good enough to start anymore. Derry and corks loose marking made him look good. Better man to bring on when there's more space as teams tire.
I know my opinions are in the minority here!

Derry will be better when Sean Leo returns but our squad does not contain too many game changers on the bench like dublins !

Hill16 Blues

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 26, 2014, 12:11:14 PM
Quote from: Hill16 Blues on April 26, 2014, 12:51:39 AM

An embarrassment of riches!
You can only play with xv !
We could debate all day on who you would drop!
I'd only really see McCaffrey as improving the team. Brennan I like but devereaux IMO should get a place somewhere!
IMO Kilkenny is not up to intercounty top level games yet. Also if he doesn't learn to speed up his play he never will. The Ciaran McDonald style looks great but the game has progressed into a faster dynamic!
Also I'm not do sure Alan Brogan is good enough to start anymore. Derry and corks loose marking made him look good. Better man to bring on when there's more space as teams tire.
I know my opinions are in the minority here!

Derry will be better when Sean Leo returns but our squad does not contain too many game changers on the bench like dublins !

Think McGolderick is big loss for Derry. Not that familiar with Derry but he was v impressive v Dublin in league game and probably Derrys best player v Mayo. A lot riding on Lynch and McGuckian for tomorrow. If Dublin can contain Lynch think it'll be v difficult for Derry to compete.  Very talented footballer. Amazing that Bradley's not brought back in!!

Agree with you in part re Kilkenny. Always seems to slow game down when at 11. But he will score 3/4 points every game and is great passer of the ball. Don't agree at all re Alan Brogan. For me and most Dublin supporters a fit Alan Brogan is close to our most important player. He has been excellent throughout the league.  He will almost certainly play at 11 in championship and if fit think will make us better than last year.

Brennan is still best CHB we have although short on pace. Being missing for so long will make it hard to get back in. Costello is super prospect and will play. Rock will also feature once he's back fully fit.  Not sure re Mannion as he's been poor for u21s. Not sure what's happened with him.