DERRY V DUBLIN - ALLIANZ FOOTBALL LEAGUE FINAL

Started by The Hill is Blue, April 21, 2014, 01:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Was an Alan brogan fan but think he is now too light for intercounty. Until cork fell away he was being pushed off the ball and outmuscled way too easily in the first half.

Game too fast for kilkennys ponderous play and while he is a tommy conroy-esque foot passer, it's not incorporated enough in the modern game to require his inclusion. Missed and messed up too many scores last year for my liking. That would improve with exp.
Brennan great but as you say speed may be an issue in the modern game.
IMO

Devereaux at CHB could be a masterstroke under the new rules.

Sean Leo makes Derry tick. Hope we can cope without him. Maybe Gerard Okane can refind old form that had him playing like that years ago.

ballinaman

Anyone know a pub that'll be showing the match in New York? Midtown area?

Real Talk

Quote from: Hill16 Blues on April 26, 2014, 02:26:30 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 26, 2014, 12:11:14 PM
Quote from: Hill16 Blues on April 26, 2014, 12:51:39 AM
ROC, Connolly, Flynn and Brogan didn't play league game. Fairly critical players for Dublin

Still missing; Brennan, McCaffrey, Bastick, Mannion, Costello, Rock and obviously Kilkenny who won't be back this year. There's another 2/3 u21s who'll be close to getting a run - Lowndes, Carthy & o'Conaghaile if fit.

Despite that Dublin a lot stronger than league game v Derry. Expecting tough & close game on Sun.
An embarrassment of riches!
You can only play with xv !
We could debate all day on who you would drop!
I'd only really see McCaffrey as improving the team. Brennan I like but devereaux IMO should get a place somewhere!
IMO Kilkenny is not up to intercounty top level games yet. Also if he doesn't learn to speed up his play he never will. The Ciaran McDonald style looks great but the game has progressed into a faster dynamic!
Also I'm not do sure Alan Brogan is good enough to start anymore. Derry and corks loose marking made him look good. Better man to bring on when there's more space as teams tire.
I know my opinions are in the minority here!

Derry will be better when Sean Leo returns but our squad does not contain too many game changers on the bench like dublins !

Think McGolderick is big loss for Derry. Not that familiar with Derry but he was v impressive v Dublin in league game and probably Derrys best player v Mayo. A lot riding on Lynch and McGuckian for tomorrow. If Dublin can contain Lynch think it'll be v difficult for Derry to compete.  Very talented footballer. Amazing that Bradley's not brought back in!! (Paddy has taken retirement and is now training Antrim and 'Skinner' is playing Soccer ........ any current soccer players in the Dubs panel?

Agree with you in part re Kilkenny. Always seems to slow game down when at 11. But he will score 3/4 points every game and is great passer of the ball. Don't agree at all re Alan Brogan. For me and most Dublin supporters a fit Alan Brogan is close to our most important player. He has been excellent throughout the league (agree Dubs best player against Derry in Celtic Park ... we have no one to mark him).  He will almost certainly play at 11 in championship and if fit think will make us better than last year.

Brennan is still best CHB we have although short on pace. Being missing for so long will make it hard to get back in. Costello is super prospect and will play. Rock will also feature once he's back fully fit.  Not sure re Mannion as he's been poor for u21s. Not sure what's happened with him.

I will settle for a 5 point defeat

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: ballinaman on April 26, 2014, 10:40:34 PM

Don't know the place, but the website says they'll be showing it:

http://www.oldcastlepub.com/index.html

ballinaman

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on April 26, 2014, 11:39:04 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on April 26, 2014, 10:40:34 PM

Don't know the place, but the website says they'll be showing it:

http://www.oldcastlepub.com/index.html
Cheers, a gent

riptorn

So from Derry you have the Ulster Club champions and not even one player from that club on the inter-county panel

and Dublin with only 1 starting from the All Ireland club champions

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Zulu

Dublin making short work of Derry so far.  0-8 to 0-1 (14 min). Game is on www.tg4.ie and can viewed internationally.

thejuice

ah cool,

sometimes TG4 is blocked for me but today tis fine.

:D

cheers lads

screenexile

Zulu

O'Gara has been entirely dominant and Derry are second best everywhere - Dublin 0-10 Derry 1-0, 24 min.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

armaghniac

Compared to the Celtic Park game, it seems that home advantage is important.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B