Is there a total disconnect between GAA Officialdom and the grass roots?

Started by T Fearon, April 17, 2014, 05:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

From today's independent, not all doom and gloom -

JOYCE FEGAN – PUBLISHED 22 APRIL 2014 02:30 AM

THE Sky deal to broadcast GAA games could trigger a €6m economic boost through tourism, according to the sports consultancy run by former rugby international Keith Wood.

The deal has been hugely controversial, with claims that it robbed supporters of the chance to watch all televised games for free.

But the GAA has staunchly defended the move, insisting that it allowed the diaspora a chance to tune in to clashes, as well as growing the profile of Gaelic games overseas.

Mark O'Connell, who founded W2 Consultancy with former Ireland captain Wood, agrees there is huge potential to be tapped.

"On the back of the Sky deal, GAA games could easily deliver 8,000 additional sports tourists each year to Ireland," he said.

The 14 GAA games that were previously free to air will now only be accessible via Sky Sports, but Mr O'Connell predicts that broadcasting them internationally will provide a major platform for Ireland.

OPPORTUNITY

"The Sky deal with the GAA is a huge opportunity for tourism here, as it will trigger huge international interest in the sport – and people will want to come to Ireland to witness games first hand."

The global sports tourism industry is worth €450bn, and with the new GAA deal Ireland could get a larger cut of the revenue. "We conservatively estimate that it would generate about 16,000 bed nights and amount to €3.6m in direct expenditure, with a total economic impact of €6m," he said.

Mr O'Connell was speaking ahead of the European Sport Tourism Summit, which takes place in Thomond Park, Limerick, on May 15, where Wood and former Lions and England rugby player Lawrence Dallaglio will speak.

Mr O'Connell said tourists and sports enthusiasts generally fall in love with football and hurling when they visit: "Any visitors we have brought to games over the years are immediately won over and cannot understand why they are not better known internationally.

"The GAA story is captivating for them – the skill involved, the fact that the players are not paid, that geography dictates what team they play for."

Irish Independent

Zulu

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 22, 2014, 01:25:05 AM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 22, 2014, 12:19:50 AM
Quote from: Johnnybegood on April 21, 2014, 09:44:16 PM
Would people have been more pusses off had they sold the rights to BT Sports?

I'm annoyed they didn't make a real step to make it easier for those abroad to catch the game. It would have been very, very easy for them to say "there are no copyright restrictions online for the football or hurling. Anyone is free to host and broadcast the games live".

This deal is not going to help the dispora (or others interested abroad), and attempting to dress it up as the entire goal of the agrement is an insult to the intelligence of the average gael.

I'm part of the diaspora and I'm happy with the Sky deal. Premier Sports are a joke and I don't want to watch all the matches online with my family gathered around the laptop. I must be in the minority but I prefer to watch my televised sport the good old fashioned way on the TV in my living room. I already have Sky Sports so this won't cost me any extra money - I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one in this situation, so you aren't speaking on behalf of the diaspora when you make your comments here.

Me too Benny.

I'm not sure how these things work but if the GAA said there was no copyright restrictions on GAA games then would that not mean they can't earn from the games being broadcast internationally? Secondly, are we talking about these streaming services which you can watch on your laptop? If so, that would nothing for the spread of games beyond the Irish diaspora who would be the only ones looking for these games on such a format. Indeed many of the older generation would probably unable to view the games like that and the attractiveness of the GAA for TV companies would, I'd imagine, be nil if they could be viewed on streaming services so they might bother showing them at all.

While I think there are some genuine concerns regarding this deal, all in all, it's a good deal IMO. But the main reason I'm in favour is the fact that it's a 3 year deal. After that we can assess where we are and at least everybody can have opinions based on 3 years of evidence and not simple speculation. Congress will get a chance to influence the way we go at that stage so the grassroots can make the decision to continue, expand or reject the deal then.

RadioGAAGAA

F**k me fellas, are you living in the stone age or what?

Laptop + HDMI cable = watch it on your TV.
Laptop + DVI cable = watch it on your TV.
Laptop + DSUB cable = watch it on your TV.
Smart TV = watch it on your TV.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Zulu on April 22, 2014, 08:43:27 AM
Indeed many of the older generation would probably unable to view the games like that and the attractiveness of the GAA for TV companies would, I'd imagine, be nil if they could be viewed on streaming services so they might bother showing them at all.

So the older generation abroad that are technophobes and don't know anyone with a rudimentary understanding of streaming programs to set it up for them wouldn't get to see the games they cannot currently see anyway?

Any other niches you can find?
i usse an speelchekor

BennyHarp

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 22, 2014, 10:41:37 AM

I must be. I'm not happy with an unreliable, on/off coverage, buffering every 3 mins and with no HD. If I was I'd stick with premier sports.
That was never a square ball!!

muppet

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 22, 2014, 10:53:42 AM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 22, 2014, 10:41:37 AM

I must be. I'm not happy with an unreliable, on/off coverage, buffering every 3 mins and with no HD. If I was I'd stick with premier sports.

The black card will eliminate all that sort of stuff.  ;)
MWWSI 2017

Eamonnca1

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 22, 2014, 10:48:04 AM
Indeed many of the older generation would probably unable to view the games like that and the attractiveness of the GAA for TV companies would, I'd imagine, be nil if they could be viewed on streaming services so they might bother showing them at all.

So the older generation abroad that are technophobes and don't know anyone with a rudimentary understanding of streaming programs to set it up for them wouldn't get to see the games they cannot currently see anyway?

How about the lonely old farmer living upside an Irish mountain who can't afford Sky, doesn't know anyone with Sky, can't get to the match, and doesn't want to go to the pub to watch? That's a bit of a niche, but that's exactly who all the hullabaloo has been about for the last month.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: roney on April 19, 2014, 11:24:37 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 19, 2014, 11:08:04 PM
FFS.

I give up. You win. There is no emigration from Ireland. Ireland is the only country where GAA clubs and volunteers exist. There is no reason to improve coverage of Gaelic games outside of Ireland.

::)

FFS indeed. What the hell are you on about? Tell me once and for all, how does the sky element of the deal benefit people beyond UK shores? Remember to answer the question and not revert to type.

Listen very carefully because this bears repeating.

Fans in Australia will be able to see the games for free.

Clear?

Viewers in North America don't get much out of the deal this time around, hopefully it'll be better for us next time.

tiempo

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 22, 2014, 06:37:03 PM
FFS.

I give up. You win. There is no emigration from Ireland. Ireland is the only country where GAA clubs and volunteers exist. There is no reason to improve coverage of Gaelic games outside of Ireland.

FFS indeed. What the hell are you on about? Tell me once and for all, how does the sky element of the deal benefit people beyond UK shores? Remember to answer the question and not revert to type.

Clear?

Viewers in North America don't get much out of the deal this time around, hopefully it'll be better for us next time.

The Oz TV company paid the GAA for the rights
RTE pays the GAA for the rights
TG4 pays the GAA for the rights
BBC pays the GAA for the rights
Sky Sports pays the GAA for the rights
Premier Sports pays the GAA for the rights

Eamonnca1

Quote from: tiempo on April 22, 2014, 07:01:14 PM

And...?

tiempo

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 22, 2014, 07:29:24 PM
Quote from: tiempo on April 22, 2014, 07:01:14 PM

And...?

GAA Officialdom are doing their job

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 22, 2014, 06:37:03 PM
FFS.

Clear?

Do you know that ESPN carried hurling once upon a time in USA? 

Was discontinued due to the lack of viewers.

Looks like you will have to wait for GAA TV.  Or be part of creating and marketing it. 

Rossfan

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 22, 2014, 06:35:16 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 22, 2014, 10:48:04 AM

How about the lonely old farmer living upside an Irish mountain who can't afford Sky, doesn't know anyone with Sky, can't get to the match, and doesn't want to go to the pub to watch? That's a bit of a niche, but that's exactly who all the hullabaloo has been about for the last month.
Nobody will be able to see the Ros/Leitrim game unless they go to the game and pay/sneak in at the gate.
How about all the poor oul farmers in both Counties who can't afford to go to the game or are housebound or the sick etc.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Ball Hopper on April 22, 2014, 08:32:48 PM
Do you know that ESPN carried hurling once upon a time in USA? 

Was discontinued due to the lack of viewers.

I'm aware of that. It was in ESPN's early days when they grabbed any sports they could get their hands on. RTE's coverage was just dropped onto the American network with no effort to explain what was going on and no effort to promote it. It was not part of a concerted effort to build viewership of that sport. It was used as cheap filler and was dropped as soon as they got their hands on sports that had a bigger audience.