Tyrone v Down - Sun 18th May, Omagh

Started by tyroneman, April 15, 2014, 06:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Just watched the Sunday game - in real time I couldn't understand why the Down and Tyrone penalties were given. Looking at the replays I'm still struggling - the Tyrone penalty was never a penalty. Or am I missing something ?.

babarino

Quote from: orangeman on May 26, 2014, 12:29:59 AM
Just watched the Sunday game - in real time I couldn't understand why the Down and Tyrone penalties were given. Looking at the replays I'm still struggling - the Tyrone penalty was never a penalty. Or am I missing something ?.

Was at the game, behind the goals, a short distance, among Down and Tyrone supporters. None of the Tyronies, supporter or player, called for a peno. It was a very strange call by the ref.

It wasn't the deciding factor in the result. Tyrone were better.

Fuzzman

The Down one looked like Petey was making a slight tackle but if you watch Mcginns feet, one seems to get clipped by Petey at the last second or else he trips on his own leg.
Justy was lucky not to concede a peno as had both hands around the forward.
We created a lot more goal chances and was glad McKenna looked good when he came on
Did Emmet McKenna do much?

WT4E

People said that Tyrone FF line were very good but on SG RON was the only one who seemed to get any airtime. The others didn't feature at all did they?

On that - Why does SG go to the bother of showing extensive highlights of the games that were live on RTE that day and then show minimal highlights of the others! FRUSTRATING!

EC Unique

I thought Coney and McCurry were quiet enough. RON was unmarkable.

BennyHarp

Is there any highlights of this game online?
That was never a square ball!!

Bensars

Sunday game last night showed brief highlights.  It'll be on rte player

BennyHarp

Quote from: Bensars on May 26, 2014, 10:12:55 AM

I can only seem to find the Sunday Game Live on Rte Player but not the highlights show.
That was never a square ball!!

Stall the Bailer

I thought the Tyrone full forward line that started was quiet enough on Saturday. In the first half all three were out in front and getting on the ball.
Coney though dropped a few short into the keepers hand and kicked a wide or two.
O'Neill was dangerous and took on his man well, resulting in Down fouling him. (Similar to Laverty at the other end)
McCurry was good from the dead ball but not a major treat from open play.
In second half with rain, it was more difficult to win the ball first time. Coney dropped a few and wasn't really in it.
McCurry also went out of it. O'Neill was still dangerous but seem to tire a bit.
McKenna made a great impact, out in front winning every ball and the slippy conditions didn't effect him.
McAliskey first touch was a great score.
The introduction of Stevie also meant there were some great balls going in. If fully fit he should be the CHF.

On a another day Coney may have got five or six.
McAliskey and McKenna will have a good claim for a starting spot the next day. I guess the form in training the week before will decide which three will get on.

orangeman

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 26, 2014, 10:21:13 AM
Quote from: Bensars on May 26, 2014, 10:12:55 AM

I can only seem to find the Sunday Game Live on Rte Player but not the highlights show.

Go to that GAAGOOOOOOOGGOOO thing and you can pay a fiver to see it.

nrico2006

SON has shown before over the past few seasons that he is the most intelligent paser of the ball Tyrone have when played at number 11.  Why he hasn't played there more often is bemusing.  Did he not win the CHF All Star in 2001?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

inroundthesquare

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 26, 2014, 12:57:08 AM
The Down one looked like Petey was making a slight tackle but if you watch Mcginns feet, one seems to get clipped by Petey at the last second or else he trips on his own leg.
Justy was lucky not to concede a peno as had both hands around the forward.
We created a lot more goal chances and was glad McKenna looked good when he came on
Did Emmet McKenna do much?

You may as well as had nobody on instead of Emmett McKenna

thewobbler

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 26, 2014, 10:48:58 AM
SON has shown before over the past few seasons that he is the most intelligent paser of the ball Tyrone have when played at number 11.  Why he hasn't played there more often is bemusing.  Did he not win the CHF All Star in 2001?
How can it be bemusing that one of the best players in Ireland with his back to goal has played most of his football at inside forward?

tiempo

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 26, 2014, 10:48:58 AM

Its a fair old while since 2001 and he's had his fair share of injuries, putting him out round the middle into heavy contact zones and asking him to run around like a thoroughbred is sadly behind him, that said, a stint out there during a game might be an option. While he still has all the guile and class to make the impossible look routine I hope his role remains that of impact sub for the year similar to Brian McGuigan in 2008.

I can't see Stevie finishing games strong at the minute given his injuries, lack of game time (at any level, only returned for his club a month ago, played one or two games) and age, but what a sight for opposition defenders who have 60 mins in their legs to see a fresh SON coming on to wreck the joint!

Fuzzman

I think bringing SoN and Block on at half time is the right decision at the moment anyway(yes a M.Harte compliment har har)

Stevie is one of those players that ye wish ye had two of them. A "bit" like Canavan you wish he was there to hit in the quality pass but also there to receive it and take on his man and score. I suppose the latter is the most important aspect as scores wins games and so that is why he has usually played at FF. A bit like Murphy if he's getting starved of possession then Mickey moves him out the field as he's well capable of taking a man on and soloing in and taking his score.

I just think the Monaghan match (and should we get there) and the Donegal match are totally different types of games where your attack minded footballers get swallowed up and it's totally a war of attrition. I'd say those young lads love playing with Stevie in the team as he knows himself what sort of ball they need hit into them and not to delay it. He knows when you make your run it's essential to get the ball there and then otherwise you stop making those runs after a while.

Another thing I was thinking about was Sean Cavanagh and who we use him. I notice most teams totally target him with often 2 men covering his runs. They block him off time and time again and try to use his "diving" reputation against him. There's a lad I play astro with and whilst he's a great player he is constantly looking for the ball. Even when he's got 2 men on him. He doesn't know when to NOT call for it and so often people pass to him and he loses it. Big Sean does this a lot too I think and the younger lads would find it hard NOT to pass to him. I just think we could be using him a lot better to make space for other lads.