Tyrone v Down - Sun 18th May, Omagh

Started by tyroneman, April 15, 2014, 06:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

QuoteDublin, Cork or Mayo don't have three forwards with the talent of Coney or the O'Neills ,Matty Donnelly and Cavanaghs are also best in class

Are you claiming Tyrone have the best forward line in Ireland?

tyroneman

Quote from: Zulu on May 25, 2014, 01:07:30 PM
QuoteDublin, Cork or Mayo don't have three forwards with the talent of Coney or the O'Neills ,Matty Donnelly and Cavanaghs are also best in class

Dublin certainly have.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Coney, RoN and mcCurry have plenty of potential but have yet to take the championship by storm.

Zulu

Cork have too. There's a few counties who have forwards of more proven class, though Tyrone may have a very good forward unit in the making. However for now,  Tyrone forwards aren't a patch on Dublin's and are bit behind a few more.

Dubh driocht

Quote from: Zulu on May 25, 2014, 01:07:30 PM

Are you claiming Tyrone have the best forward line in Ireland?
[/quote. ]. No.The three teams I mentioned have one or two very talented forwards but none have three IMO.

Zulu

Connolly, Flynn, Alan Brogan, Bernard Brogan are all better forwards than anything Tyrone have. O'Gara, McManamon, Andrews, Kilkenny and Costello would all be as good as most of them. Hurley, O'Neill and Kelly are as good as anything Tyrone have, Hurley and O'Neill are probably better. Tyrone have some very talented forwards but you are rating them way too highly at the moment, Coney has done little or nothing at senior IC yet for example, I'm not sure he'd even make the Dublin team, he certainly wouldn't be a certain starter.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Hope you enjoyed Newry last night Zulu, for such a learned post!  :P ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Zulu

Only listened on the radio FOSB but I'll wait a while before elevating your boys to the best in the country  ;)

stibhan

Anyone saying that, after last night, Tyrone's forwards are better than Dublin or Cork's are absolutely fooling themselves. Coney was rightly hooked and McCurry got little ball. Ronan O'Neill looked lively. Dublin have Dean Rock on their bench, who I would make a starter in any other Intercounty team. You lads must be kidding.

tyroneman

Quote from: stibhan on May 25, 2014, 05:59:29 PM
Anyone saying that, after last night, Tyrone's forwards are better than Dublin or Cork's are absolutely fooling themselves. Coney was rightly hooked and McCurry got little ball. Ronan O'Neill looked lively. Dublin have Dean Rock on their bench, who I would make a starter in any other Intercounty team. You lads must be kidding.

Few in Tyrone would say they are the finished article. Certainly a way to go to rival Dublin's forward unit.

We just hope the potential is there to rival the Canavan-Mugsy-SoN-mcGinley era forward lines sometime in the (hopefully near) years to come

Fuzzman

I feel I've been over negative the last week so I'm trying to look more on the positive side of things.
However I just don't get this talk about our forwards.
Yes I'm excited about their potential but they've not done much so far this season.
McCurry has not scored from play yet or has he whereas I expected him to have a good few.
Coney looked very scared last week of being tackled yet he did get a few great scores. RON oozes class and if given good early ball will thrive but Monaghan & Donegal will probably struggle. If we continue with the short hand passing I'd worry for these potentially good young forwards as they need it fast and early.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 25, 2014, 07:58:39 PM
I feel I've been over negative the last week so I'm trying to look more on the positive side of things.
However I just don't get this talk about our forwards.
Yes I'm excited about their potential but they've not done much so far this season.
McCurry has not scored from play yet or has he whereas I expected him to have a good few.
Coney looked very scared last week of being tackled yet he did get a few great scores. RON oozes class and if given good early ball will thrive but Monaghan & Donegal will probably struggle. If we continue with the short hand passing I'd worry for these potentially good young forwards as they need it fast and early.

Jaysus Fuzzman, is this you being more positive?  :o
That was never a square ball!!

Fuzzman

Anyone got the stats for our scores from play so far?
I suppose watching Donegal puts me in that sorta form.  >:(

Wildweasel74

Naw Fuzz its like me, that game practically put me to sleep the day, though i remember it for one piece of magic from Murphy on the sideline, knew he put in over even before he hit it, had a great view sitting directly behind when he hit it

Redhand Santa

I thought last night Harte and Donnelly had their best championship performances for tyrone. It was also good to see our defence get stuck in. Justy Mcnabb and gormley make a huge difference. Keeping them fit would go a long way to solving our problems there.

Still a lot of work to do but hopefully the 2 games have set the team up well for Monaghan. That's going to be a cracking game in 3 weeks. I think this tyrone team will develop a lot more through the front door in high profile high intensity championship games so it's very important to win it. If we could keep everyone fit I think there is a big summer in the team but it's a big if.

I assume Harte see's his best team something close to last night. As gormley gets fitter he will end up starting. Possibly for mcnamee. Number 10 jersey is up for grabs. At the minute penrose would be my pick. If big joe can get fit he'll take it. A fit Stevie oneill will probably come into the full forward line.

Fuzzman

I just watched the highlights there and it looked very one sided. Down looked very poor and we looked sharp. Great finishing by McGinley for both goals and I think he does deserve his place if he can stay more focused on marking his man and not abandoning him when he passes and runs on.
Did anyone else notice how most tackles on big Sean were all very high and almost around the back of his neck. Is thus similar to what the Dubs were doing in the league?
Also noticed N.McKenna's man came over and stood on his heel after he scored that good point
Good to see Justy back playing well and staying fit
Down will be happier away from Ulster pressure cooker I think