Tyrone v Down - Sun 18th May, Omagh

Started by tyroneman, April 15, 2014, 06:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

take_yer_points

Quote from: PAULD123 on May 19, 2014, 11:58:49 AM
McGinn should not have got a black card because it should not even have been a penalty.

Donnelly had already taken 7 steps when McGinn rugby tackled him. Coldrick let players run 7-8 steps all day. If we have a rule then it should be used. Ok, maybe a fifth step if the player is under pressure and seriously trying to get rid of the ball is a fair relaxation. But by the time you are at 7 you have definitely fouled the ball.

Having said that once Coldrick had deemed that he didn't have to implement one of the long established rules in the rulebook, sure why should he then bother to comply with the rule on advantage play (does he actually know how long 5 seconds is???), nor why bother with black cards "Deliberately pull down an opponent"

Look the above comments are meant more in whimsy than to be taken seriously. The real point I am making is that there is little merit in commenting on Coldrick's refereeing of an individual incident when his refereeing in general was so poorly lacking technically all day. I accept referees make mistakes because they can't see everything but they should at least be technically correct. And he is meant to be the best in the country!!!

Do you seriously think Mark Donnelly took 7 steps before he was fouled? You do realise he didn't catch the ball clean? From the moment he had the ball in his hands until he was fouled he took 2 steps - you could maybe argue for 3. That YouTube video someone posted is as clear as day

trueblue1234

Quote from: take_yer_points on May 19, 2014, 01:17:13 PM
McGinn should not have got a black card because it should not even have been a penalty.

Donnelly had already taken 7 steps when McGinn rugby tackled him. Coldrick let players run 7-8 steps all day. If we have a rule then it should be used. Ok, maybe a fifth step if the player is under pressure and seriously trying to get rid of the ball is a fair relaxation. But by the time you are at 7 you have definitely fouled the ball.

Having said that once Coldrick had deemed that he didn't have to implement one of the long established rules in the rulebook, sure why should he then bother to comply with the rule on advantage play (does he actually know how long 5 seconds is???), nor why bother with black cards "Deliberately pull down an opponent"

Look the above comments are meant more in whimsy than to be taken seriously. The real point I am making is that there is little merit in commenting on Coldrick's refereeing of an individual incident when his refereeing in general was so poorly lacking technically all day. I accept referees make mistakes because they can't see everything but they should at least be technically correct. And he is meant to be the best in the country!!!

Do you seriously think Mark Donnelly took 7 steps before he was fouled? You do realise he didn't catch the ball clean? From the moment he had the ball in his hands until he was fouled he took 2 steps - you could maybe argue for 3. That YouTube video someone posted is as clear as day

There wasn't any over carrying for that incident but Pauld123 is right that it was let go multiple times during the game. Really irriates me. You used to get 5 steps at a push, now you get 7 most times.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Bensars

Nothing would suprise me with the Poison Dwarf, hes been at it a few years now.
No question of over carrying at all. It tells you more about any individual who subscribes to that idea in the first place, as noted above , clear as day on the youtube clip.

take_yer_points

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 19, 2014, 01:26:43 PM
Quote from: take_yer_points on May 19, 2014, 01:17:13 PM

There wasn't any over carrying for that incident but Pauld123 is right that it was let go multiple times during the game. Really irriates me. You used to get 5 steps at a push, now you get 7 most times.

I agree players are allowed to take too many steps - it's yet another rule not applied by referees and makes tackling very difficult.

However, to say that Mark Donnelly took 7 steps in that incident before being fouled is surreal. A few seconds beforehand Kyle Coney seemed to take a lot of steps in the incident that led to the sideline kick (which led to the goal) - I think a quick count was around 10 or so. That would have been a good example to use

SkillfulBill

At what point in time does it become apparent to the Tyrone faithful that Mickey Harte has now become and has been for sometime now the Achilles heal of Tyrone's championship aspirations ? It did not surprise me yesterday that Tyrone  where incapable of beating a second rate Down team in their own back yard. Harte's team selection was bewildering. The full backline contained a lad who had suffered a potentially career ending embarrassment in Kerry earlier in the season. Anyone watching that game could see that young Tierney should have been taken off  early in he first half as he was unable to handle the pace of his opponent. Mickey Harte left him on him for the entire game resulting in humiliation for himself and Tyrone. What did Tierney learn from this ? Barry did not get a sniff of a place for the rest of the league but come championship he is back in. McBride's selection at fullback was also very questionable he has little or no experience playing at county level at no 3. Clarke has played at 3 with varying degrees of success but is better suited at fullback than at mfield. Matty Donnelly is a half forward not a no 6 and his wiliness to go forward leaves massive holes in the Tyrone Defence. Peter Harte has had ample time to prove he is not a wing back again a player more suited to wing forward. Clarke is not a mid fielder. Playing McGinley at 12 made no sense what so ever and when he got into a number of easy scoring positions he demonstrated the folly of his selection in the forward position. Sean Cavanagh is not and never has been a creative player he is a finisher not a provider and should have been deployed on the square. Mckenna selection at 14 was also a poor decision by Mickey he is a more creative outfield player that Cavanagh and is also very good in the air better suited to the half forward line. Mickey Harte has been a great servant to Tyrone for the last 20 years and has helped bring massive success to the County but there does come a time when managers and players become stale. Harte achieved staleness some years ago and the erratic nature of his team selections is becoming a hindrance to Tyrone's future. I do not think Mickey is the type of man to walk away but for the good of football in Tyrone I hope the County board has the strength of character not to renew his contract at the end of his term.

nrico2006

Quote from: SkillfulBill on May 19, 2014, 02:12:25 PM
At what point in time does it become apparent to the Tyrone faithful that Mickey Harte has now become and has been for sometime now the Achilles heal of Tyrone's championship aspirations ? It did not surprise me yesterday that Tyrone  where incapable of beating a second rate Down team in their own back yard. Harte's team selection was bewildering. The full backline contained a lad who had suffered a potentially career ending embarrassment in Kerry earlier in the season. Anyone watching that game could see that young Tierney should have been taken off  early in he first half as he was unable to handle the pace of his opponent. Mickey Harte left him on him for the entire game resulting in humiliation for himself and Tyrone. What did Tierney learn from this ? Barry did not get a sniff of a place for the rest of the league but come championship he is back in. McBride's selection at fullback was also very questionable he has little or no experience playing at county level at no 3. Clarke has played at 3 with varying degrees of success but is better suited at fullback than at mfield. Matty Donnelly is a half forward not a no 6 and his wiliness to go forward leaves massive holes in the Tyrone Defence. Peter Harte has had ample time to prove he is not a wing back again a player more suited to wing forward. Clarke is not a mid fielder. Playing McGinley at 12 made no sense what so ever and when he got into a number of easy scoring positions he demonstrated the folly of his selection in the forward position. Sean Cavanagh is not and never has been a creative player he is a finisher not a provider and should have been deployed on the square. Mckenna selection at 14 was also a poor decision by Mickey he is a more creative outfield player that Cavanagh and is also very good in the air better suited to the half forward line. Mickey Harte has been a great servant to Tyrone for the last 20 years and has helped bring massive success to the County but there does come a time when managers and players become stale. Harte achieved staleness some years ago and the erratic nature of his team selections is becoming a hindrance to Tyrone's future. I do not think Mickey is the type of man to walk away but for the good of football in Tyrone I hope the County board has the strength of character not to renew his contract at the end of his term.

I actually would find it hard to disagree with a lot of that and was thinking alot of the same thoughts since yesterday.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

WT4E

Agree with skilful bill there.

I was just thinking though what is Tyrone's best 15 now? I was thinking he could change it again totally on sat and prob go for something like this (I've probably forgot about someone cause I was thinking quickly:

Morgan, McCrory, Clarke, Gormley, PJ Lavery, Mattie D, R McKenna, C Cavanagh, Justy Mc, Harte, S Cavanagh, Mark D, R O'Nell, Coney, McCurry

I was also thinking that the teams may be being picked by science and not running your eye over proceedings in training which if it is the case makes my heart sink!

J OGorman

Quote from: WT4E on May 19, 2014, 02:17:59 PM

I was just thinking though what is Tyrone's best 15 now? I was thinking he could change it again totally on sat and prob go for something like this (I've probably forgot about someone cause I was thinking quickly:

Morgan, McCrory, Clarke, Gormley, PJ Lavery, Mattie D, R McKenna, C Cavanagh, Justy Mc, Kane, Harte, Mark D, R O'Nell, Coney, McCurry

I was also thinking that the teams may be being picked by science and not running your eye over proceedings in training which if it is the case makes my heart sink!

maybe the man that 'earnt' you the replay?

WT4E

Quote from: J OGorman on May 19, 2014, 02:22:38 PM
Quote from: WT4E on May 19, 2014, 02:17:59 PM

Morgan, McCrory, Clarke, Gormley, PJ Lavery, Mattie D, R McKenna, C Cavanagh, Justy Mc, Harte, S Cavanagh, Mark D, R O'Nell, Coney, McCurry

maybe the man that 'earnt' you the replay?

DOH!!!  :-[ :-[ :-[ Revised it!LOL

Revised it

The Trap

I would go for this:
Morgan, McCrory, Clarke, PJ Quinn, Harte, Gormley, PJ Lavery, Mattie Donnelly, S Cavanagh, McGuigan, R O'Neill, Mark Donnelly/Colm Cavanagh, McCurry, Coney, McAliskey.........................................................

omagh_gael

Morgan

Aidan Mc        Clarke          Pj/Tierney

Gormley             Matty         Justin

Sean          Colm

Penrose    Mark D       P Harte

RoN

McCurry       Coney

SkillfulBill

Morgan

Mccrory.        Clarke.           Pj Quinn

McGinely.      Gormley.        Justy mcmahon

C.Cav            Matty Donnelly

Coney.            Harte.            Mckenna

McCurry.       S. Cav.            R.Oneill 

J OGorman

Quote from: SkillfulBill on May 19, 2014, 03:00:34 PM
                        Morgan

Mccrory.        Clarke.           Pj Quinn

McGinely.      Gormley.        Justy mcmahon

C.Cav            Matty Donnelly

Coney.            Harte.            Mckenna

McCurry.       S. Cav.            R.Oneill

Here's hoping ;-)

WT4E

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 19, 2014, 02:48:44 PM
                           Morgan

Aidan Mc        Clarke          Pj/Tierney

Gormley             Matty         Justin

Sean          Colm

Penrose    Mark D       P Harte

RoN

McCurry       Coney

I reckon Penrose day is done! As Brolly was saying on Sunday in the paper he would be another example of Mickey changing a player. Remember him at youth football - was very dangerous and wracked up some big scores the when he went to the seniors turned into a man who was to run around like a blue ass fly breaking up play!

Under Lights

Morgan, Clarke, Justin, McRory, McGinley, Gormley, Harte, Matty Donnelly, Colm, Mark Donnelly, Sean Cav, Niall McKenna, McCurry, Coney, R O'Neill.