Tyrone v Down - Sun 18th May, Omagh

Started by tyroneman, April 15, 2014, 06:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ApresMatch

Lota ppl commenting about two bad teams etc.. I recall the same being said after they met in 2008 and look where Tyrone went! Men shud just comment on today as teams change as the championship goes on. Great entertainment given the weather and same again next week. Tyrone do not like teams running at them and Down have the hands, off the shoulder running, and pace to trouble them again.

Carmen Stateside

Lucky escape for Tyrone today, massive kick from Cavanagh to get the replay.  It was no doubt a foul, even before the free in the build up was taken you could see clearly on the TV Cavanagh being pulled and dragged off the ball.  In fairness for 35 mins Down were atrocious and purely from Tyrone's wastefulness managed to be still in the game at half time.  Wee James changes at half time changed things.  Would expect the finishing teams from both sides to be close to the starting teams on Saturday.

rrhf

Crazy spills and thrills. Refereeing madness.  Controversy.  Tyrone and down are the best watch in town. I have seen down and Tyrone draw 4 times now in the championship. 

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Hardy on May 18, 2014, 05:34:01 PM
Another dive from Cavanagh and the fool of a ref gives a black card for what wasn't even a foul, never mind deliberate, never mind a pull to the ground.

Fool of a ref is right, Meath fecker! Clueless, totally. 
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

sam03/05

Danny McBride is terrible for Tyrone. Surely Justy, Block are better options
Can Tyrone play as bad next week......

ONeill

Donnelly and Harte are excellent footballers. But to play with 5, 6 or 7 on your back you have to be a defender first. When teams run off the shoulder from midfield Tyrone are helpless to stop a tsunami raining down on the full back line. Dublin did it. Kerry did it. Down did it for 20 mins. The gaps were there in the first half too but Down hadn't the players to exploit it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

SHEEDY

just back from a wet omagh and am proud and disappointed rolled into one. brilliant 2nd half fightback. o'hares missed free proved costly in the end but you couldn't be to critical as he doesn't miss many. felt the ref played for the draw and couldn't wait to give tyrone the free at the end. roll on next Saturday night, down have nothing to fear from tyrone.
nil satis nisi optimum

tyroneman

Curates egg of a game. A few observations...

At half time Tyrone were comfortable with the match being played at McKenna cup pace and looked in no bother.

Poor shot selection at the start of the second half meant we didn't pull away and put the game to bed.

Black card was right decision for Morgan but Down player should have went for Tyrone pen. Coldrick very inconsistant.

S Cav was dragged and pulled all match. Ref was right to give that last free (I watched it again when I got in from the game)

For the last 2 Down goals P Harte looked to be at fault - way behind his man? For a keeper to be beaten at his near post (second Down goal) is criminal anyhow.

Morgans kick outs are great.....we lost vistually everything at MF when he went off. Kicking to a lone Colm Cav surrounded by 3 Down players was madness, yet happened time and time again.

Danny McBride..while game and went for everything.. won very little off his man....not the answer at FB.

Sean Cav is not a CHF. We lack someone with a bit of guile in there to feed the forwards.... hammering high hopefull balls inot McCurry and Coney is  the road to nowhere.

McKenna..not a good day at the office..is he really a FF?

Both teams will feel they should have won this..both will fancy themselves in the replay.

Unles Tyrone improve that defence though.......Down will probably sneak it.

Will be very suprised if MH doesn't make at least 2-3 changes with Penrose and possibly Justy starting, Clarke moved to Wing back.
Not sure what 'facade' Down 'peeled' away (according to Brolly) - no one in Tyrone thinks now or thought beofre the game that we have an AI winning team on our hands with that defence..

CD

Quote from: sam03/05 on May 18, 2014, 07:50:47 PM
Danny McBride is terrible for Tyrone. Surely Justy, Block are better options
Can Tyrone play as bad next week......

Can Down??
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Zulu

QuoteFor a keeper to be beaten at his near post (second Down goal) is criminal anyhow.

Very harsh, this isn't soccer. I wouldn't fault the goalkeeper for any of the goals.

Club Rossa

Wasn't surprised we got a draw.Sure Down never win in the rain :P
Seriously,we were very fortunate to get another chance.Down should have closed it out.I'll watch the game before I comment again but I'm sick of this diving,no place for it in our games and it should be punished every time with a black card.Cavanagh and Laverty were at it and it's time something was done about it.

sam03/05

It was almost a carbon copy of the Derry match at Celtic Park in the National League.
Tyrone were 7/8 ahead missed a bag full and then Derry came steamrollering back. (even the goals were quite similar).

Has Harte not learned that when we have a big lead, its time to put a sweeper back and make sure we don't concede goals.

CD

Quote from: tyroneman on May 18, 2014, 07:54:55 PM
Curates egg of a game. A few observations...

At half time Tyrone were comfortable with the match being played at McKenna cup pace and looked in no bother.

Poor shot selection at the start of the second half meant we didn't pull away and put the game to bed.

Black card was right decision for Morgan but Down player should have went for Tyrone pen. Coldrick very inconsistant.

S Cav was dragged and pulled all match. Ref was right to give that last free (I watched it again when I got in from the game)

For the last 2 Down goals P Harte looked to be at fault - way behind his man? For a keeper to be beaten at his near post (second Down goal) is criminal anyhow.

Morgans kick outs are great.....we lost vistually everything at MF when he went off. Kicking to a lone Colm Cav surrounded by 3 Down players was madness, yet happened time and time again.

Danny McBride..while game and went for everything.. won very little off his man....not the answer at FB.

Sean Cav is not a CHF. We lack someone with a bit of guile in there to feed the forwards.... hammering high hopefull balls inot McCurry and Coney is  the road to nowhere.

McKenna..not a good day at the office..is he really a FF?

Both teams will feel they should have won this..both will fancy themselves in the replay.

Unles Tyrone improve that defence though.......Down will probably sneak it.

Will be very suprised if MH doesn't make at least 2-3 changes with Penrose and possibly Justy starting, Clarke moved to Wing back.
Not sure what 'facade' Down 'peeled' away (according to Brolly) - no one in Tyrone thinks now or thought beofre the game that we have an AI winning team on our hands with that defence..

Good points as usual. Would agree with most of that. Will be interested to see the goals on TV - crowd around me were on Petey Harte's back about a couple as he was the nearest defender but it's hard to know if he was at fault at pitch level and with rain in me eyes! The weather had a massive impact on the game and I'd say Tyrone definitely took their eye off the ball. A more clinical side would have been out of sight at HT.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

orangeman

Carmen Stateside

Mc Kenna was giving his man to much space from the long kick pass prior to goal.  As ONeill has said the half backs are all advancing and leaving acres of space for that long ball. 
Were did Clarke play today? Can't recall him being on the ball to much, game seem to pass him by.