NFL DIV 3 FINAL..ROSCOMMON v CAVAN

Started by Shrewdness, April 14, 2014, 09:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

Roscommon much more clinical and efficient in the second half. Excellent free taking by Donie Shine and Senan Kilbride. Cavan's swarmed defence were nullified for the long range shots.

Congratulations Roscommon..

Jinxy

Quote from: Syferus on April 26, 2014, 07:47:42 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 26, 2014, 07:34:12 PM
Nicely measured goal. Was it intended?

Absolutely. Keenan is a man for fisting it over the bar from that range anyways and he would have put much more power on it were it an attempt at a point.

Would you go away outta that!
100% mis-kick.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on April 26, 2014, 10:09:16 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 26, 2014, 07:47:42 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 26, 2014, 07:34:12 PM
Nicely measured goal. Was it intended?

Absolutely. Keenan is a man for fisting it over the bar from that range anyways and he would have put much more power on it were it an attempt at a point.

Would you go away outta that!
100% mis-kick.

Nope.

Itchy

Congrats to Ros. They won because they could kick a score. Our full forward line was an embarrassment today. I don't know what Martin Dunne had to do to get taken off as he missed 1-6 today and all scorable. Keating can't see anyone else on his team, he has extremely poor peripheral vision. And can anyone tell me why Niall McDermott was tapping over a point with 20s left when a goal was needed? Indeed some of Cavans decision making was a joke, Alan Clarke playing suicide balls and Mackey too. It was a shocking display, I can only hope its a kick up the hole that they need before the Armagh match.

ross4life

Well done to our lads hard luck Cavan. We were woeful in 1st half were thankful of the fine penalty save by o'Malley and rather lucky goal we improved after the break and probably just about deserved the win. Very little blanket defense tonight as seen with the score line and the amount of wides kicked by both sides. Nice for seniors to finally pick up a cup in croke park but massive improvement needed from us for the championship.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Duckquay

Very disappointing performance from a Cavan perspective. Time and time again Ros broke from their half back line, creating numerous point scoring chances either side of the 45 which they invariably took. Our FF line were generally poor, particularly Dunne. Once again he struggled to win his own ball, his accuracy is his main strength and when he has an off day in that dept he offers nothing else. His decision making was shocking today. Martin Reilly was the pick of the forwards, got through a Trojan of work and rarely gave away possession. Felt we struggled at MF in the second half, Argue needs to be in there. Big improvement required but it's not the be all. Well done Ros, best team won tonight.

Itchy

How does he not get subbed Duckquay. I can't understand that.

muppet

What are people's thoughts on McDermott's 'tackle' on the Cavan man running through at the end.

Cavan obviously needed a goal and the attempted tackle didn't resemble anything in the rules. But he only got a yellow and if I were a Rossie (or any team in the situation) I would have been very happy with him afterwards.

I don't mean to have a go at that particular player, but according to Croke Park, Eugene Magee, Joe Brolly and random statistics, we are now saved from cynical fouling.
MWWSI 2017

Itchy

It was cynical but not a black card by new rules.

muppet

Quote from: Itchy on April 26, 2014, 11:24:15 PM
It was cynical but not a black card by new rules.

Because:

a) he didn't pull the player to the ground (even thought he knocked him to the ground)?

and/or

b) the player hadn't yet released the ball (thus the bodycheck didn't count as a black card)?
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on April 26, 2014, 11:14:44 PM
What are people's thoughts on McDermott's 'tackle' on the Cavan man running through at the end.

Cavan obviously needed a goal and the attempted tackle didn't resemble anything in the rules. But he only got a yellow and if I were a Rossie (or any team in the situation) I would have been very happy with him afterwards.

I don't mean to have a go at that particular player, but according to Croke Park, Eugene Magee, Joe Brolly and random statistics, we are now saved from cynical fouling.

Agree entirely. An example of the farce this black card is.

Also - at one stage in the second half the game resembled basketball. I'm not talking about all the handpassing - that doesn't bother me al that much - I mean that every time a team had the ball they marched down the field and scored. You felt if they didn't score it was unusual. Then after a score the other team took the ball out from the back with a short kickout and marched down the other end to score. I'm not sure why (though I have my suspicions) but unless the attacking team made a mistake (i.e. a poor pass or kick a wide) they completely had their way. Are all defenders now that bad or are the rules too skewed in favour of the team in possession? I think while defenders cuold improve their skills the main reason is the latter.

magpie seanie

Congrats to the Rossies. Looked like they wanted it considerably more.

Couldn't believe how wasteful Cavan were.

Johnnybegood

rodney trotter

Martin Dunne couldn't make the U21 team in 2010 and left the panel after the Hastings Cup due to lack of game time. He has improved since then but has a lot of improvment to do yet. Was a disapointing performance, First half started well but went asleep after 15 minutes. Some shocking wides in that period. Thought the half forward line worked very hard, McDermott,Martin Reilly and Mackey. They missed a few but not as much as the FF line. Keating won a lot of ball, took a few shots from impossible angles, but was showing well. The defence gave away a lot of fouls which was unusual as it was tight throughout the league.
Still lots of time before the championship 8th of june. alls not lost.

Well done to Ros, btw

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on April 26, 2014, 11:14:44 PM

Was a feral attack on his man by Seanie alright, wouldn't have been complaining had he seen the line.

Too many times at all grades we don't get dirty when we have to close a game out. I'm pretty sure Seanie saw no one was making an attempt to break Cavan's momentum so he went for it. It is what it is. The partisan side of me is quite happy we showed something resembling cynical play near the end.

Thought Seanie had a very good game overall. Not that he has many bad ones.