PRELIMINARY ROUND: New York v MAYO (Gaelic Park, New York, 4th May)

Started by From the Bunker, April 14, 2014, 07:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

I don't think there's any harm in this but I do believe that New York should have to win their right to play the visitors. I understand that the county board structure in the US doesn't help in this regard but I think that if for example Boston, Chicago, etc felt they would be competitive that here should be a US qualifying championship. Might prove difficult and those who are over there might tell me I'm talking through my hat but would surely improve the eventual participants.

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 24, 2014, 09:38:59 AM
I don't think there's any harm in this but I do believe that New York should have to win their right to play the visitors. I understand that the county board structure in the US doesn't help in this regard but I think that if for example Boston, Chicago, etc felt they would be competitive that here should be a US qualifying championship. Might prove difficult and those who are over there might tell me I'm talking through my hat but would surely improve the eventual participants.

Good idea, imagine the interest in Boston for a Championship match.
MWWSI 2017

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on April 23, 2014, 10:33:43 PM
Quote from: Shrewdness on April 23, 2014, 09:49:32 PM
Am i the only one who thinks that this game is a non event and a waste of time. Yes, i accept from a cultural point of view that it's a big weekend annually for the Irish in New York. But from a football point of view, it's an absolute waste of time. At least London made their mark on the Connacht championship last year. But New York aren't even competitive. In the last 2 years, Roscommon and Leitrim hammered New York, ironically by the same scoreline each year. Mayo should win this by at least 15 points, but what's the point of it all?

Solidarity with the Irish diaspora. One of the pillars of the Irish ethnic identity is how it has continually been scattered to the four winds.

It means a hell of a lot to New York and for the sake of an Aer Lingus flight it's a small price to pay. Sure, some officials treat it as a junket but it is one of the aspects of the GAA that is unique and it should be protected from short-sighted cuts.
Yeah, I can understand the emotional overtones alright but I wonder if the gains outweigh the losses. I think it costs a bit more than a few  Aer Lingus tickets to get a county team over and back. When Mayo  jibbed at the cost of going there a couple of years ago, the main reason for refusing to fulfil the fixture was the cost, which was estimated to be over €40,000.
Not many counties, especially Connacht ones, can shell out that sort of cash without cutting back on more immediate expenses.Furthermore, there's always the risk of injuries and with the championship  starting so soon afterwards, I imagine most managers would be happier if they didn't have to make the trip to the Big Apple- at least not just before the start of the championship.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

commonman

the total cost of the championship trip to NY for the Connacht counties, based on a travelling party of 50, works out at around 75K to 80k, of which NY/Croke Park/Connacht Council stump up €50k. The county travelling must come up with the balance.

mayo.mick

Quote from: commonman on April 24, 2014, 05:13:41 PM
the total cost of the championship trip to NY for the Connacht counties, based on a travelling party of 50, works out at around 75K to 80k, of which NY/Croke Park/Connacht Council stump up €50k. The county travelling must come up with the balance.

http://gaanewyork.com/news/311471/the_first_sunday_in_may
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

moysider

Quote from: REDCOL on April 15, 2014, 04:18:11 PM
What We learned in the league part two.

Lee Keegan has become one of the finest footballers in the country.

Adam Gallagher has a chance of making it, but needs to step up on his U21 championship form

Our own supporters who turned on Rob Hennelly when he missed a few frees, and Enda Varley because he was brought on for Adam Gallagher would want to have a good look at themselves.

Andy Moran may touch the ball 30 times in a game but is he slowing up our game.

Our goalkeeper is an outstanding shot stopper, but is prone to erratic moments.

Ballina supporters will not get over their fixation with Evan Regan, the young lad opted out himself. Move On.Aidan O Se is a wonderful fielder but needs to stop running into contact, he is taking too much punishment.

We need to try and develop some forwards that are physically bigger and stronger than our current crop

Bit of a contradiction there REDCOL.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 29, 2014, 10:05:50 PM
I suppose we'll hear a team before they head over?

Hard to get excited about this but I wish I was heading over for the weekend. Who knows I might even go to the game if I did ;)

Pangurban

You would have to fancy NY to win this, Mayo dont travel well, especially to big cities

Carmen Stateside

Mayo will win this by about 20 points! Joyce not playing either is Paddy Kelly or the big Conner lad from Offaly. New York spent last weekend at West Point military academy! Should help with their shooting.

Blowitupref

Last meeting. October 2011.

FBD League final: Stroll in the Park for Mayo

Mayo rounded off a successful season when they hammered New York in the FBD Connacht League final at a balmy Gaelic Park in the Bronx.

Mayo 7-11
New York 2-8

A brace of goals from Young Footballer of the Year contender Cillian O'Connor and further three-pointers from Alan Freeman and Enda Varley had propelled the Connacht champions into a 4-5 to 0-3 lead by half-time. Centre forward Aidan O'Shea hit a brace after the restart, while Freeman added his second before Adrian O'Connor and substitute Mike Jim Fitzgerald scored consolation goals for the Exiles in the final quarter.

Teams - Mayo: K O'Malley; D Geraghty, G Cafferky, E Reilly; C Barrett, R Feeney, L Keegan; J Gibbons (0-1), S O'Shea (0-1); K McLoughlin, A O'Shea (2-0), A Campbell (0-2); E Varley (1-2), A Freeman (2-4), C O'Connor (2-1). Subs: T Howley, R McGarrity, J Kilcullen and M Ronaldson.

New York: A Hearty; J Bell, K Carden, P Lambe; L Maguire, R McGinley, D Keane; S Sheridan, A O'Connor (1-0), K Walsh (0-2), CJ Molloy, T Warburton; P Hatzer (0-2), J Kelly (0-2), J Moynagh. Subs: M Cregan, MJ Fitzgerald (1-0), B McGourty (0-2), K Rogers.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Pangurban on April 29, 2014, 11:45:52 PM
You would have to fancy NY to win this, Mayo dont travel well, especially to big cities

True, Mayo almost never win at Gaelic Park.

unitedireland

I find the New York championship game every year a missed opportunity for RTE to do some coverage on the Irish American aspect of the GAA.

Here is a podcast preview.
http://www.gaelicsportscast.com/

Here is a video setanta sports done a couple of years ago.
http://vimeo.com/65123212

highorlow

Any team news for the Stahtes game?

Hope all the lads come back in one piece, that plastic pitch will be tough.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go