So what do ye think of the black card rule now?

Started by sligoman2, April 08, 2014, 04:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of the black card rule

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)
Still undecided
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 17, 2014, 08:10:51 PM

mayo.mick

It wasn't a black card, if anything it should have been a yellow (possibly red by some refs). It was a high tackle, arm swung around the neck.
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

rosnarun

I am not arguing O  Sheas card at all . Just why the rule was not applied to all such incidences
though I had to laugh at RTE saying it was a controversial card and then just showing him being given the card and not the incident?
Quality analysis
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Jinxy

I'm convinced RTE have some transition year student on work experience putting the highlights packages together for League Sunday.
If one of the goalkeepers spontaneously combusted as he was about to take a kick-out, there's a good chance it wouldn't make the cut.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Jinxy on March 07, 2016, 03:27:01 PM
I'm convinced RTE have some transition year student on work experience putting the highlights packages together for League Sunday.
If one of the goalkeepers spontaneously combusted as he was about to take a kick-out, there's a good chance it wouldn't make the cut.
;D ;D ;D ;D
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Rossfan

Quote from: Jinxy on March 07, 2016, 03:27:01 PM

+1.
From some rubby playing school no doubt >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

smelmoth

Black card - great rule. At times its badly implemented. Its not doing anything to punish the blocking of the quick free or the jersey pull. The punishment for these 2 cynical fouls remains inadequate.

It looking at the rules there needs to a clearer link between the new rule and the problem it is trying to address. The mark ruling is ok. High fielding is a tremendous skill and it is drifting out of the game. But I'm not sure the mark will work on its own as a lot of kicks will still be aimed short or to a free player who receives it after it has bounced. The mark will nothing to address the issue of packed defences.

A ruling that a team must have 6 forwards inside their attacking 45 at kick outs might work. A trial to see how much it delays restarts would be required.

This rule could work in tandem with the mark.

I know this will trigger the usual "leave the game alone" response but the game is worth salvaging and lets do that now.

rosnarun

itss a shit rule , Kerrys ounishment for a black Card was to be forced to play the Gooch
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: smelmoth on March 08, 2016, 08:51:32 AM
Black card - great rule. At times its badly implemented. Its not doing anything to punish the blocking of the quick free or the jersey pull. The punishment for these 2 cynical fouls remains inadequate.

It looking at the rules there needs to a clearer link between the new rule and the problem it is trying to address. The mark ruling is ok. High fielding is a tremendous skill and it is drifting out of the game. But I'm not sure the mark will work on its own as a lot of kicks will still be aimed short or to a free player who receives it after it has bounced. The mark will nothing to address the issue of packed defences.

A ruling that a team must have 6 forwards inside their attacking 45 at kick outs might work. A trial to see how much it delays restarts would be required.

I know this will trigger the usual "leave the game alone" response but the game is worth salvaging and lets do that now.

I was against the Black card from the start and I haven't seen anything since to make me think that its ' a great rule'
I do agree though that it is badly implemented (which was always likely to be the case and one of the reasons i was against it in the first place)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

lenny

Quote from: smelmoth on March 08, 2016, 08:51:32 AM

Totally agree about the quick free one. Tyrone and Donegal in particular get a man in front of the taker immediately every time and they simply don't mind losing a few yards when the ref moves it forward because they have all their defenders back in place. If they are ever turned over you can guarantee there will be a cynical foul within a few seconds if possible and someone will get in front of the taker to start a pushing match and allow their teammates to get back in position. It should be the responsibility of the offending team to clear the area immediately and if they are deliberately obstructing the free it should be a black card. This would be one area of the game which should be simple to police and it would clean up many of the current problems in the game.

blewuporstuffed

So it seems a few more people are coming to realise the issues with the black card after another weekend of controversial decisions.

I would love to see stats of all the black cards issued in the championship since its inception and how man of those decisions where actually correct, I would say the percentage might only be 50-60 % if that.
And thats with the countries top referees trying to apply the rules, what hope has club football got of getting these calls correct?

highorlow

I read Eugene McGee yesterday giving out about the defensive play in the Ulster Final and giving out in general on defensive set ups.

He is one of the people who dreamed up this fad. Defenders can no longer defend in the old fashioned sense due to the black card and attackers particularly running attackers have a huge advantage. Managers are left to have non-conformist formations in part due to the black card.

It is no coincidence that all of the country went sweeper mad around the same time this card was introduced.

Conor Gormley was saying something similar on newstalk last night. He wants rid of it now. It appears to me that the majority of the recently retired players want it gone.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Rossfan

So we go back to just continuously fouling forwards?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Fuzzman

I laughed reading McGee's article where he complained about the lack of big hits in the Ulster final.
I thought there was a few big shoulders and the biggest hit ended in Mattie Donnelly getting a black card.
It has made the job of the referee even harder I think as it gives them another decision to make and there is a lot of ambiguity now with what is yellow and what is black.

The BBC panel talked about the black card for verbals to the umpire but nobody has even been black carded for that before and so why should they now. I think they wanted to address two main incidents and that was the taking the man out of play (like a third man tackle) or blocking off the run of someone which I agree was creeping more and more into the game but a yellow was suffice I think. The other was the very cynical pulling a man down or tripping him just to stop their progress, especially in the closing stages of a match. This seems to still happen so again I don't think the black card has solved this problem though maybe prevented it from happening earlier in the game.

I think Donegal's style of ultimate defensive football was there before the black card but definitely more teams use it now as a way around being left one on one with a good player and so avoiding a black card situation.

Dinny Breen

Mayo fans obviously love it Colm Boyle got a standing ovation the other night  ;D

Magee thinks the card is working well and now wants professional referees as it's not the rule it's the referee.
#newbridgeornowhere

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Rossfan on July 19, 2016, 10:33:50 AM
So we go back to just continuously fouling forwards?

Are there less frees in the game now than there was before the black card?