FRC Part 2. The 8 team provinces?

Started by AZOffaly, April 08, 2014, 01:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Em, I'm from Offaly. ** But I should add I'm not saying this is what should happen, I'm trying to guess what they'd suggest **

StephenC

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 08, 2014, 05:16:58 PM
Em, I'm from Offaly. ** But I should add I'm not saying this is what should happen, I'm trying to guess what they'd suggest **

:-[ Missed that. Would it be fair to assume that the majority of Offaly folks wouldn't be that enamored with the idea though? That's where I feel the idea of moving counties around falls flat - why should a handful of counties give up their provincial heritage to suit the rest? If we feel that they should - then why not take one small step further and create 4 groups of 8 that have no link to the provinces. Think NW/NE/SW/SE instead of N/S/E/W. So the top half of Connacht and the western half of Ulster become one group etc. All counties get assigned to a new group and the provincial councils (and their championships) can remain as separate competitions/entities. Of course there's not a hope in hell of that happening, which brings us right back to where we are today.

Rossfan

Quote from: StephenC on April 08, 2014, 05:16:27 PM
In all the times I've seen the "move this country to this other province" proposal, I've never seen it made by a poster from one of the counties that would move. It's somewhat easy as a (for example) Meath lad to say that Longford will play in Connacht but I'd love to know what the Longfords, Cavan's etc feel about it?

It's total nonsense.
Do the proponents of this daftness also want it at underage and what about the hurling crowd?
Will there be new "Provincial" Councils or will Longford e.g.  play in "Connacht" but have no vote or role in fixture making etc on the Connacht Council? Will Longford have to play all their games in real Connacht or can they have home fixtures?
What happens if Longford, Cavan etc say "NO"?
Sure why not just have a draw every year to see who plays in each " 8 county Province". Now wouldn't that be fun?
By the way who's going to tell NY they are now gone and who's goin to tell JP and his fellow CC officers that there's no more trips* to NY for them?

* These trips are for the serious purpose of organising a Championship game. They are NOT Junkets ye cynical lot.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Bingo

Is the GAA the only body who actually use the Provincial structure?

In Rugby its only a name now - players can be from anywhere in Ireland, never mind the world. As can the supporters it would seem.

Soccer - not that I know off.

Athletics - possibly at cross country level? But in the whole its a nationwide sport.

In every day life is the provincial system used at all?

Is it another GAA policy that is only retained for traditions sake when its functionality as it stands is long outdated and no longer practical?

Syferus

Just wait for the Connacht Council to be the only province not to dismiss this idea immediately. Dollar signs on the eyelids.

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on April 08, 2014, 05:47:17 PM
Just wait for the Connacht Council to be the only province not to dismiss this idea immediately. Dollar signs on the eyelids.
HE ( bows, scrapes, tugs forelock)already says he's in favour of it - but doesn't want the parachutists confined to lower League teams.
Wait till they tell him about NY having to go. :)

Old yeller

Quote from: Bingo on April 08, 2014, 05:39:54 PM

In Rugby its only a name now - players can be from anywhere in Ireland, never mind the world. As can the supporters it would seem.

Athletics - possibly at cross country level? But in the whole its a nationwide sport.

Is it another GAA policy that is only retained for traditions sake when its functionality as it stands is long outdated and no longer practical?

The GAA is built on traditions and the provincial system should be retained at all costs. But maybe it should be disconnected from the main AI series like some have suggested. As for the 8 team province idea, it will never work. Why should a county like Cavan give up our place in Ulster to play in a province we have no interest in?

BennyCake

I blame the English. They created the county system.

muppet

Quote from: Old yeller on April 08, 2014, 08:27:56 PM
Quote from: Bingo on April 08, 2014, 05:39:54 PM

The GAA is built on traditions and the provincial system should be retained at all costs. But maybe it should be disconnected from the main AI series like some have suggested. As for the 8 team province idea, it will never work. Why should a county like Cavan give up our place in Ulster to play in a province we have no interest in?

I think we should introduce more random rules than ever before.

For example every year, after the Championship, supporters in each province would vote one county out of their province. In this way the county moved to another province would be grateful to be accepted into their new province. To keep things fair the Provincial Champions in that year would be immune from being voted out.

So going on last year Kerry, Dublin, Mayo and Monaghan would have had immunity as provincial Champions.

Purely guessing for the benefit of this proposal, let's say the supporters in each province voted for Tyrone, Cork, Roscommon (unanimous) and Meath to be voted out. The AI Champions could earn the right to designate which province the ousted counties would go into. Let's say the Dubs picked Roscommon for Leinster and then put Tyrone in Munster and Cork in Ulster, thus leaving Meath to go into Connacht.

Then let's for the sake of argument say the provincial champions were: Galway, Kerry, Dublin and Cork and the supporters voted out Armagh, Meath, Roscommon and Tyrone. If Kerry won the AI they might pick Roscommon for Munster and then put Tyrone into Leinster leaving Meath having to go to Ulster and Armagh into Connacht.

Then say the Provincial Champions were Mayo, Cork, Kerry and Dublin, with Cork beating Mayo in the Final, and the voted out counties were Roscommon, Tyrone, Derry & Armagh. Cork would have to take Roscommon into Ulster, and then could send Tyrone into Connacht with Derry going to Leinster and Armagh into Munster.

This could be great craic altogether.

MWWSI 2017

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 08, 2014, 01:14:08 PM
Ulster : Donegal, Monaghan, Antrim, Armagh, Down, Derry, Fermanagh and Tyrone.
Connacht : Cavan, Longford, Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Roscommon, Leitrim and London.
Leinster: Louth, Meath, Dublin, Westmeath, Kildare, Carlow, Wicklow and Wexford.
Munster: Offaly, Laois, Tipperary, Limerick, Clare, Waterford, Kerry and Cork,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5FCdx7Dn0o

Buffalo soldier, dreadlock rasta:
There was a buffalo soldier in the heart of Mu-un-ster-a,
Stolen from Le-in-ster-a, brought to Mu-un-ster-a ,
Fighting on arrival, fighting for survival.
Dreadie, woy yoy yoy, woy yoy-yoy yoy,
Woy yoy yoy yoy, yoy yoy-yoy yoy!

I hope they bring some good weed with them.....

Rossfan

Quote from: muppet on April 08, 2014, 08:59:10 PM
[I think we should introduce more random rules than ever before.

For example every year, after the Championship, supporters in each province would vote one county out of their province. In this way the county moved to another province would be grateful to be accepted into their new province. To keep things fair the Provincial Champions in that year would be immune from being voted out.

So going on last year Kerry, Dublin, Mayo and Monaghan would have had immunity as provincial Champions.

Purely guessing for the benefit of this proposal, let's say the supporters in each province voted for Tyrone, Cork, Roscommon (unanimous) and Meath to be voted out. The AI Champions could earn the right to designate which province the ousted counties would go into. Let's say the Dubs picked Roscommon for Leinster and then put Tyrone in Munster and Cork in Ulster, thus leaving Meath to go into Connacht.

Then let's for the sake of argument say the provincial champions were: Galway, Kerry, Dublin and Cork and the supporters voted out Armagh, Meath, Roscommon and Tyrone. If Kerry won the AI they might pick Roscommon for Munster and then put Tyrone into Leinster leaving Meath having to go to Ulster and Armagh into Connacht.

Then say the Provincial Champions were Mayo, Cork, Kerry and Dublin, with Cork beating Mayo in the Final, and the voted out counties were Roscommon, Tyrone, Derry & Armagh. Cork would have to take Roscommon into Ulster, and then could send Tyrone into Connacht with Derry going to Leinster and Armagh into Munster.

New T O Rule 1-
County Board areas to be the same as Co Council areas.
New TO Rule 2
Any County that picks players from a town in another County to be suspended for 20 years.

muppet

Quote from: Rossfan on April 08, 2014, 09:14:12 PM

New T O Rule 1-
New TO Rule 2
Any County that picks players from a town in another County to be suspended for 20 years.

Great idea:

This thread has real potential.
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Quote from: muppet on April 08, 2014, 09:27:45 PM

New T O Rule 1-
New TO Rule 2

Great idea:

Why has that Council District in the middle got no name? Do they play GAA there?

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on April 08, 2014, 09:46:06 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 08, 2014, 09:27:45 PM

New T O Rule 1-
New TO Rule 2

Great idea:

Why has that Council District in the middle got no name? Do they play GAA there?

f**king unionist Mermaids, typical.