Playing at home for the rest of the Season (year)!

Started by From the Bunker, April 07, 2014, 08:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dont Matter

The playing every game at home is obviously an advantage, a huge one and the denials are ludicrous, but it's not the reason Dublin are winning All Ireland's. The reason for that is money, why are people ignoring the main issue?
I've already gone through what funding they've had for underage work and the conveyor belt of talent that's resulted. Throw in a couple of million every year to prepare the senior squad and how can they fail?
If anyone was to make a list of everything you need to guarantee All Ireland's, they'd describe the situation Dublin have right now.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Thisonegoesto11

Quote from: Dont Matter on April 29, 2014, 02:28:47 PM
The playing every game at home is obviously an advantage, a huge one and the denials are ludicrous, but it's not the reason Dublin are winning All Ireland's. The reason for that is money, why are people ignoring the main issue?
I've already gone through what funding they've had for underage work and the conveyor belt of talent that's resulted. Throw in a couple of million every year to prepare the senior squad and how can they fail?
If anyone was to make a list of everything you need to guarantee All Ireland's, they'd describe the situation Dublin have right now.

Nah that has been covered and several lists have been made. Dubs think it is talking shite and others will concur . Could be worse, nobody could be talking about Dublin. Fascinating team , fascinating subject.

easytiger95

Fair enough AZ and i didn't particularly have you in mind in my reply - but Dublin have been playing League matches in Croker for as long as i can remember - they have been back and forth between Parnell and Croker so many time it is unbelievable. During the McCaul and Mullins management periods in the mid to late 80s all of the League matches in were at headquarters. Now we were being overshadowed by Meath at the time in the championships, but if it was adding even a point to our dismal performances, surely it should have been addressed back then? Something that is unfair inherently doesn't become more unfair because of the actual result. So to bring it up now as a factor in their success (as I think is your position) can be interpreted as sour grapes, with some justification by Dublin fans. Or as is the case with our resident headbanger, it is sour grapes with accusations of cheating thrown in.

I have no problem addressing inequality, but perhaps the inequality of winning only two games to gain a provincial title and entry to the All Ireland series as opposed to three or four should be recognised as far more blatant than the perceived advantages Dublin have?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Thisonegoesto11 on April 29, 2014, 01:51:00 PM
Think it was Johnny Doyle who said that? It got laughed out of it in some quarters. He said something along the lines of not knowing which way to go to the pitch.
"Follow your ears Johnny...it 's that bit of light at the end of the tunnel. You'll know it where you are when you get there."

Certain it was Earley, on Championship Matters IIRC. I'm sure he did get laughed out of it, maybe in one county in particular. Fact is you leave the dressing room, focused on the task in hand, last minute messages ringing in your ears and all of a sudden you're thrown by not knowing where you're going. Dublin don't have this issue. This is only a recent issue because last year was the first time I became aware of it anyway. And I certainly wasn't going to bring it up after the walloping Dublin gave us as it would be interpreted as sour grapes.

The same issue applies to the Dublin hurlers IF they are also guaranteed the exact same dressing room in Croker. I don't know if this is the case or not but it would be equally unfair.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 29, 2014, 11:14:01 AM

QuoteAnyway, my main point is no Leinster Championship games should be played in Croker until the semi final at least, unless you have a particularly mouth watering clash. I know the Dubs wouldn't mind it, so why not Dublin v Wexford down in Wexford? Or v Laois in Portlaoise. Tickets would be scarce, the atmosphere would be great and the whole event would be better.

I agree with this even the semi-finals should be neutral, just imagine Kildare/Meath v Dublin Leinster semi-final in Portlaoise, 30K sell-out, ticket fever, whinging fans, phone calls to live-line, Evening Herald headlines damning the GAA, queues for tickets. It creates an event, something to look forward to, instead we get a 40K at a double header in Croke Park with no atmosphere for the first game and nothing but empty seats by the end of the second.

The big winners would be Portlaoise and the Dublin supporters who get a decent road trip and we would probably even get a decent game of football. It shouldn't always be about the money!!
the Kildare v Meath games and the dubs v Laois could have been stand alone fixtures in Laois which I reckon would have got a cumulative attendance of 45/50k with two great ocasdions.

Dont Matter

Quote from: Thisonegoesto11 on April 29, 2014, 02:39:10 PM
Nah that has been covered and several lists have been made. Dubs think it is talking shite and others will concur . Could be worse, nobody could be talking about Dublin. Fascinating team , fascinating subject.

What we're meant to believe is that Dublin playing at home every game isn't an advantage and having huge resources for underage structures and senior team preparation isn't an advantage either?  ;D
Maybe Dublin should play every game away from home and be given no money, it wouldn't be a disadvantage to them would it?
Peter Quinn

Banter Panther

As the most intelligent member on this board, let me break it down for everybody.

Do Dublin have an advantage playing at home: yes.
Do Dublin have an advantage thanks to their finances: yes.
Are Dublin the best football team in the country anyway: yes.
Does this mean that those advantages don't matter: no.
Should Dublin have to play some matches outside of Croke Park: yes.
Would this mean they wouldn't win the All-Ireland: no.
So they'd definitely win the All-Ireland anyway?: no.
Are Dublin unbeatable, just like the last unbeatable football team (Donegal): no.
'Donegal are a footballing superbug, with no obvious cure' - Joe Brolly 2013

Thisonegoesto11

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 29, 2014, 02:43:38 PM
Think it was Johnny Doyle who said that? It got laughed out of it in some quarters. He said something along the lines of not knowing which way to go to the pitch.
"Follow your ears Johnny...it 's that bit of light at the end of the tunnel. You'll know it where you are when you get there."

Certain it was Earley, on Championship Matters IIRC. I'm sure he did get laughed out of it, maybe in one county in particular. Fact is you leave the dressing room, focused on the task in hand, last minute messages ringing in your ears and all of a sudden you're thrown by not knowing where you're going. Dublin don't have this issue. This is only a recent issue because last year was the first time I became aware of it anyway. And I certainly wasn't going to bring it up after the walloping Dublin gave us as it would be interpreted as sour grapes.

The same issue applies to the Dublin hurlers IF they are also guaranteed the exact same dressing room in Croker. I don't know if this is the case or not but it would be equally unfair.

Ye could be right ,I just pictured JD saying it.  Reading what ye say is still funny.  Reminds me of the 'Spinal Tap' scene where the band can't find the stage.

Not finding my way out a dressing room would be just that. A funny story, not a talking point.

Banter Panther

I couldn't find my way to the kitchen yesterday and had to do without breakfast. Put me on the back foot for the rest of the day.
'Donegal are a footballing superbug, with no obvious cure' - Joe Brolly 2013

Thisonegoesto11

Quote from: Dont Matter on April 29, 2014, 02:47:48 PM
Quote from: Thisonegoesto11 on April 29, 2014, 02:39:10 PM

What we're meant to believe is that Dublin playing at home every game isn't an advantage and having huge resources for underage structures and senior team preparation isn't an advantage either?  ;D
Maybe Dublin should play every game away from home and be given no money, it wouldn't be a disadvantage to them would it?

No one is asking you to believe anything DC.  Folk can come with ever theory and reason they like. In fact most on here are .

Ye are equating a sudden success to money and home advantage. This is not a swimmer who suddenly knocked 20 seconds off their Personal best. Dublin team have earned it. They have been thereabouts for a good few years.  Been close and took painful beatings.  We lacked the mental ability to see an AI through. Pat Gilroy fixed that. Jim Gavin took it to the next stage. Brogans, Cluxton, Flynn, Connolly, Brennan, MDMA, ...nothing to do with money. Talented players who finally clicked as a unit (underlying  again good management ).  The current management has done more than previous in introducing young or forgotten players and demanding everyone fights for their place. Previous Dub team had undeniable talent but maybe some were too complacent . There was not the fear of new players being thrown in ahead of them. It was a fairly tight knit squad to try break into .

On your last point, you need to ask the GAA to move finals out of HQ. Have no concern where we play. Explain the money thing in more detail and will reply. At the moment it is just a phrase that means little to the current team's achievement.

From the Bunker

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 29, 2014, 02:00:40 PM

easytiger, I think this has possibly run far beyond the point when it had a point, so this will be my last post because I'm sick of people saying I have some sort of ax to grind against Dublin.  For the umpteenth time, nobody has said that Dublin are winning because they are playing in Croke Park all the time.

What I have said, and will stand over until the cows come home, is that routine is very important to top sportsmen. A familiar routine, doing everything the same way, every big game you play is absolutely a comfort and an advantage. A large, partisan 'home' following is also an advantage (although I do accept the 'crowd getting on their back' exception to the rule). Anyone who denies that this is the case is either just denying it for the sake of it, or oblivious to the sort of thing that goes on in players heads.

Now, as an aside to that, I have also said that I would like to see the earlier rounds played out of Croke Park to increase the sense of occasion, to encourage fuller grounds with better atmospheres. This does not mean that I think the Dubs would fall victim to Wicklow below in Aughrim, far from it, but I do think it would enhance the championship as an event. It would also have the side effect of giving Croke Park back some of its mystique.

I have no doubt that the Dubs would embrace playing early championship rounds down the country. They are a fine team and wouldn't give a shite about facing Laois in Portlaoise.

Also, in a related topic, I'd have Dublin play their league games in Parnell Park. Croke Park is not their home venue, it's the HQ of the GAA. I've no real issue with the whole Super Saturday launches or whatever, but a league game in a 3/4 empty Croker is hardly a big deal either.

Lastly, just to pick up on your point about 'Now we're winning so everyone is whinging'. That's not the case. I've said it since Dublin's league games moved to Croke Park that that would be a big help to players coming onto the Dublin panel. Also in the past, Dublin did play championship matches (and won most of them) down the country. In fact I remember wanting Meath to beat Dublin in that 1991 epic because we were down to play Dublin in the minor semi final. If the Dubs won, we'd have been in Portlaoise. Because Meath won, we got a run out at Croker. So in the 'old days' the Dubs were more of a travelling roadshow and didn't get the same sense of home cooking that they do now. I can't even see how this is being debated to be honest. I'll ask the question again, do people honestly believe that playing every game in Croke Park (apart from away league games) is NOT an advantage?

Quote from: Banter Panther on April 29, 2014, 02:58:26 PM
As the most intelligent member on this board, let me break it down for everybody.

Do Dublin have an advantage playing at home: yes.
Do Dublin have an advantage thanks to their finances: yes.
Are Dublin the best football team in the country anyway: yes.
Does this mean that those advantages don't matter: no.
Should Dublin have to play some matches outside of Croke Park: yes.
Would this mean they wouldn't win the All-Ireland: no.
So they'd definitely win the All-Ireland anyway?: no.
Are Dublin unbeatable, just like the last unbeatable football team (Donegal): no.

Two pieces that sum it up!

squire_in_navy_slacks

Correct it wasnt the virgin mary johnny doyle but sergeant bilko himself earley, the chief brigadier, strategist and commander got lost coming out of the dressing rooms  ::)

Dont Matter

Quote from: Thisonegoesto11 on April 29, 2014, 03:39:46 PM
No one is asking you to believe anything DC.  Folk can come with ever theory and reason they like. In fact most on here are .

Ye are equating a sudden success to money and home advantage. This is not a swimmer who suddenly knocked 20 seconds off their Personal best. Dublin team have earned it. They have been thereabouts for a good few years.  Been close and took painful beatings.  We lacked the mental ability to see an AI through. Pat Gilroy fixed that. Jim Gavin took it to the next stage. Brogans, Cluxton, Flynn, Connolly, Brennan, MDMA, ...nothing to do with money. Talented players who finally clicked as a unit (underlying  again good management ).  The current management has done more than previous in introducing young or forgotten players and demanding everyone fights for their place. Previous Dub team had undeniable talent but maybe some were too complacent . There was not the fear of new players being thrown in ahead of them. It was a fairly tight knit squad to try break into .

On your last point, you need to ask the GAA to move finals out of HQ. Have no concern where we play. Explain the money thing in more detail and will reply. At the moment it is just a phrase that means little to the current team's achievement.

Playing at home is an advantage. Having millions of euro at your disposal is an advantage. These aren't theory's, they are cold, hard facts.

Dublin got the games development money to improve football and hurling. In hurling they were nowhere, on a par with Laois and Antrim. The money has brought them a Leinster championship and they're now All Ireland contenders. In football they already had a base, they were competitive at the top level as it was, so the money has brought them to the top.

The time scales all match. The money comes in, underage teams results improve substantially and then the senior teams results improve dramatically, with the aid of their separate fund. Again, this is not opinion. Arguing against this is like arguing that there is no sun, it's fact and it's burning a hole in the very ethos of the GAA.
Peter Quinn

INDIANA

Quote from: Dont Matter on April 29, 2014, 05:05:25 PM
Quote from: Thisonegoesto11 on April 29, 2014, 03:39:46 PM

Playing at home is an advantage. Having millions of euro at your disposal is an advantage. These aren't theory's, they are cold, hard facts.

Dublin got the games development money to improve football and hurling. In hurling they were nowhere, on a par with Laois and Antrim. The money has brought them a Leinster championship and they're now All Ireland contenders. In football they already had a base, they were competitive at the top level as it was, so the money has brought them to the top.

The time scales all match. The money comes in, underage teams results improve substantially and then the senior teams results improve dramatically, with the aid of their separate fund. Again, this is not opinion. Arguing against this is like arguing that there is no sun, it's fact and it's burning a hole in the very ethos of the GAA.

Thats bullshit. Dublin's hurling revival started when the DCB submitted a blueprint in the late 90's. That was open to every other county too. But likes of Laois, Carlow etc and all these other counties were only interested in football and ensuring they got high profile managers.

Instead of waffling on with complete inaccuracies  as you are you should be asking your county board

a) Why didn't they do the same

b) What happened to all the monies.

But no its easier to lie and make up things about the big bad wolf.

Donnellys Hollow

It was Dermot and he was clearly joking/exaggerating to illustrate the point.

Of course the dressing room has barely a miniscule impact on the game itself and Dublin would still beat all the teams in Leinster if they were made tog out in the gents at the back of the Hogan Stand but if Croke Park is a neutral venue for championship matches then the same protocols and procedures should apply to all teams.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?