Playing at home for the rest of the Season (year)!

Started by From the Bunker, April 07, 2014, 08:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnybegood

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 29, 2014, 01:04:21 AM
Jez there are so many lick arses on this thread! It's scary really! Don't Matter is an extreme case, but jez at least he's not going around with his eyes shut and his head up his arse. He knows exactly what is going on. But his negative ranting about the decent Dublin fan/person cloud allot of what the truth is and i would in no way associate myself with such vile comments.

So here is the news, well it is news to me.

Home advantage is of little consequence in the result of a game.
Using the same dressing room all the time is of little  consequence in the result of a game.
Warming up at the same end of Croke Park  is of little consequence in the result of a game.
Sleeping in your own bed the night before a match  is of little consequence in the result of a game.
Not having to make travel arrangements  is of little consequence in the result of a game.
Having a large home crowd at the match to support you is of little consequence in the result of a game.
Playing home games in the League (which can be up to six) is of little consequence in the result of a game.
Playing on an usual surface such that Croke Park  is of little consequence in the result of a game.
Playing all of you championship games in Croke Park  is of little consequence in the result of a game.
Playing teams who have had only a fraction of the time that Dublin have had in Croke Park is of little consequence in the result of a game.

I wonder how well Munster in Rugby would do if they Played all their games in Thomond? Would they have a few more Heineken Cups?
had united played all their games away from home they would have made the champions league!

Thisonegoesto11

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 29, 2014, 01:04:21 AM
Jez there are so many lick arses on this thread! It's scary really! Don't Matter is an extreme case, but jez at least he's not going around with his eyes shut and his head up his arse. He knows exactly what is going on. But his negative ranting about the decent Dublin fan/person cloud allot of what the truth is and i would in no way associate myself with such vile comments.

So here is the news, well it is news to me.

Home advantage is of little consequence in the result of a game.
Using the same dressing room all the time is of little  consequence in the result of a game.
Warming up at the same end of Croke Park  is of little consequence in the result of a game.
Sleeping in your own bed the night before a match  is of little consequence in the result of a game.
Not having to make travel arrangements  is of little consequence in the result of a game.
Having a large home crowd at the match to support you is of little consequence in the result of a game.
Playing home games in the League (which can be up to six) is of little consequence in the result of a game.
Playing on an usual surface such that Croke Park  is of little consequence in the result of a game.
Playing all of you championship games in Croke Park  is of little consequence in the result of a game.
Playing teams who have had only a fraction of the time that Dublin have had in Croke Park is of little consequence in the result of a game.

I wonder how well Munster in Rugby would do if they Played all their games in Thomond? Would they have a few more Heineken Cups?

Arse licking = those who dismiss bad loser rants.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Sooner the better we get a couple of road games to shut the begrudging muldoons up on this board..................................But no the muldoons up in HQ are calling the shots ............................isnt that right laois man "dont matter"

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Thisonegoesto11 on April 28, 2014, 07:09:24 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 28, 2014, 03:50:49 PM
Quote from: Thisonegoesto11 on April 28, 2014, 02:58:56 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 28, 2014, 02:01:58 PM
I'm all for letting as many people as possible in to games so until their is a 40k stadium in Leinster taking the Dubs out of Croker isn't really an option. Would the DCB ever look to build a 40k stadium in Dublin? With a cap on tickets you'd be guaranteed a great atmosphere under lights and it would probably be close to sold out for league games.

What I do have an issue with is Dublin being guaranteed the same dressing room and end to warm up in wheras it's a lottery for the other 32 counties if they are not playing Dublin. As AZ said
Quotefamiliarity breeds comfort, comfort breeds confidence and confidence breeds performance.
p.s. we don't get enough reminders on here of Dublin's blood lines and their tradition, great post easytiger.

Dressing rooms are important to Maria Carey but didn't surely no big deal for GAA Footballers
(If they do, throwing Diva like tantrums is the way to get a better dressing room). 

Dublin often start badly. However if they start well, dressing rooms and warm up areas are factors? Players in high tempo games don't suddenly remember their warm up routine or the comforting aroma of their dressing room. Cannot think of a Croke Park game that didn't play out or twist by events on the pitch.

It just boils down to one team against another.

Familiarity breeds comfort, comfort breeds confidence and confidence breeds performance.

Presumably this is only important since 2011? Or was it even a factor when we lost regulary?

Oh it has always been unfair that Dublin get favouritism over every other county in Ireland regarding their match day preparations in Croke Park.

You could maybe, MAYBE, swallow the fact that they like to warm up in front of the Hill but why in the name of Jaysus should they get allocated the same dressing room for each of their visits there when it is a lottery for every other county in Ireland (when they're not playing the Dubs of course)?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

DennistheMenace

Wait a minute, are Dublin supporters actually suggesting they don't have an advantage over other teams when playing at Croke Park? Really?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: DennistheMenace on April 29, 2014, 09:55:59 AM
Wait a minute, are Dublin supporters actually suggesting they don't have an advantage over other teams when playing at Croke Park? Really?

Bizarrely yes and not just Dublin supporters I might add.
#newbridgeornowhere

Thisonegoesto11

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 29, 2014, 09:46:37 AM
I'm all for letting as many people as possible in to games so until their is a 40k stadium in Leinster taking the Dubs out of Croker isn't really an option. Would the DCB ever look to build a 40k stadium in Dublin? With a cap on tickets you'd be guaranteed a great atmosphere under lights and it would probably be close to sold out for league games.

What I do have an issue with is Dublin being guaranteed the same dressing room and end to warm up in wheras it's a lottery for the other 32 counties if they are not playing Dublin. As AZ said
Quotefamiliarity breeds comfort, comfort breeds confidence and confidence breeds performance.
p.s. we don't get enough reminders on here of Dublin's blood lines and their tradition, great post easytiger.

Dressing rooms are important to Maria Carey but didn't surely no big deal for GAA Footballers
(If they do, throwing Diva like tantrums is the way to get a better dressing room). 

Dublin often start badly. However if they start well, dressing rooms and warm up areas are factors? Players in high tempo games don't suddenly remember their warm up routine or the comforting aroma of their dressing room. Cannot think of a Croke Park game that didn't play out or twist by events on the pitch.

Familiarity breeds comfort, comfort breeds confidence and confidence breeds performance.

Presumably this is only important since 2011? Or was it even a factor when we lost regulary?

Oh it has always been unfair that Dublin get favouritism over every other county in Ireland regarding their match day preparations in Croke Park.

You could maybe, MAYBE, swallow the fact that they like to warm up in front of the Hill but why in the name of Jaysus should they get allocated the same dressing room for each of their visits there when it is a lottery for every other county in Ireland (when they're not playing the Dubs of course)?

No Dub fan will have an issue with Changing dressing rooms or moving games . We have a very good team and firmly believe it make no difference. Croke Park won't win us an All-Ireland and moving us away won't prevent it.
A better team on the day will be our undoing.

No other AI champion has to endure all this nit picking. More reasons will be touted if success continues . Last year we had the McStay punditry of timing Cluxton's free kicks!  Dublin can change rooms/stadiums. Then the focus will shift to free kicks we get , sponsorships, populations, facilities, proximity to an international airport and the  bias of having Ciaran Whelan as a panelist. It'll be relentless until someone gives us a hiding in a game of football.

DennistheMenace

The whole Championship has always been unfairly balanced, some counties have a better chance due to the province their county is in and then there is Dublin who do have the best team without doubt but other factors effectively give them further advantage that they probably don't need.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 29, 2014, 10:23:24 AM
Quote from: DennistheMenace on April 29, 2014, 09:55:59 AM

Bizarrely yes and not just Dublin supporters I might add.

Seems to be the case. And not only that, but anyone who points out that there is an inherent advantage is called a sore loser, or jealous, even if you point out that Dublin would win most of their games away from Croker anyway because they are the best team in the country at the moment.

My argument is simply that it's impossible to have the same routine over and over again, and play in front of your own fans, and not have an advantage. If you are a great team that advantage is not needed, but in close games it may well swing the result towards you.

Anyway, my main point is no Leinster Championship games should be played in Croker until the semi final at least, unless you have a particularly mouth watering clash. I know the Dubs wouldn't mind it, so why not Dublin v Wexford down in Wexford? Or v Laois in Portlaoise. Tickets would be scarce, the atmosphere would be great and the whole event would be better.

From the Bunker

From my own perspective this is one of many anomalies in the game. The Connacht and Munster Championships make it to easy for Mayo/Galway (not the Rossie of late, but that will change)/Cork/Kerry to progress in the Championship. Jez, average Mayo teams have got to AI finals by winning just one big game (really)! That probably part of the problem for them (us) when we got there! But sure it's all cosy for us so we'll take it! There will be no complaints from the teams mentioned. Quarter finals are almost guaranteed without breaking a sweat and peaking can be fine tune for later in the year. So you see on a lesser level we are part of this conundrum. We get our Croke park time as well, almost guaranteed. So we can turn over the new boys when they make their limited appearance. Thing is our visits are more limited and clustered into a period of 6 weeks.

Dinny Breen

QuoteAnyway, my main point is no Leinster Championship games should be played in Croker until the semi final at least, unless you have a particularly mouth watering clash. I know the Dubs wouldn't mind it, so why not Dublin v Wexford down in Wexford? Or v Laois in Portlaoise. Tickets would be scarce, the atmosphere would be great and the whole event would be better.

I agree with this even the semi-finals should be neutral, just imagine Kildare/Meath v Dublin Leinster semi-final in Portlaoise, 30K sell-out, ticket fever, whinging fans, phone calls to live-line, Evening Herald headlines damning the GAA, queues for tickets. It creates an event, something to look forward to, instead we get a 40K at a double header in Croke Park with no atmosphere for the first game and nothing but empty seats by the end of the second.

The big winners would be Portlaoise and the Dublin supporters who get a decent road trip and we would probably even get a decent game of football. It shouldn't always be about the money!!
#newbridgeornowhere

Banter Panther

This is the GAA equivalent of the Right To Life debate. Oh this is a nice roundabout, let's stick with this one for a while.
'Donegal are a footballing superbug, with no obvious cure' - Joe Brolly 2013

J OGorman

And dont start us Ulstermen (home of the best provincial championship in the land) on Monaghan and Clones...them Farney hooers have it handy !

Hound

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 29, 2014, 11:14:01 AM

QuoteAnyway, my main point is no Leinster Championship games should be played in Croker until the semi final at least, unless you have a particularly mouth watering clash. I know the Dubs wouldn't mind it, so why not Dublin v Wexford down in Wexford? Or v Laois in Portlaoise. Tickets would be scarce, the atmosphere would be great and the whole event would be better.

I agree with this even the semi-finals should be neutral, just imagine Kildare/Meath v Dublin Leinster semi-final in Portlaoise, 30K sell-out, ticket fever, whinging fans, phone calls to live-line, Evening Herald headlines damning the GAA, queues for tickets. It creates an event, something to look forward to, instead we get a 40K at a double header in Croke Park with no atmosphere for the first game and nothing but empty seats by the end of the second.

The big winners would be Portlaoise and the Dublin supporters who get a decent road trip and we would probably even get a decent game of football. It shouldn't always be about the money!!
What confuses me is why Laois (especially) and Wicklow haven't complained about the winners of their match going to Croker

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Thisonegoesto11 on April 29, 2014, 10:28:37 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 29, 2014, 09:46:37 AM

No Dub fan will have an issue with Changing dressing rooms or moving games . We have a very good team and firmly believe it make no difference. Croke Park won't win us an All-Ireland and moving us away won't prevent it.
A better team on the day will be our undoing.

No other AI champion has to endure all this nit picking. More reasons will be touted if success continues . Last year we had the McStay punditry of timing Cluxton's free kicks!  Dublin can change rooms/stadiums. Then the focus will shift to free kicks we get , sponsorships, populations, facilities, proximity to an international airport and the  bias of having Ciaran Whelan as a panelist. It'll be relentless until someone gives us a hiding in a game of football.

This is not a nit picking agenda at Dublin or their fans. Hell, if I was offered an edge I'd take it too. Can't fathom how arrangements like this can happen in what is supposed to be a neutral stadium.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...