Playing at home for the rest of the Season (year)!

Started by From the Bunker, April 07, 2014, 08:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

That's very simplistic Thisonegoesto11 (that's far too long, we'll call you ThisOne :) ). Of course other teams have played well in Croke Park, that's not really the point. And of course Croke Park is not the reason why Dublin win, they have a great team at the moment, and are deservedly the top of the tree. HOWEVER it's very obvious in my mind that playing all your big games in one place, not to mind one place where you can be in your own bed the night before, is a big advantage. I'll not labour the point I'm making, but when you factor in the familiarity aspect, plus the huge home support, it has to be an advantage.

I think Dublin would beat every team in Leinster if they played in John Farrell's field in Birr, but at least it would make it a bit more novel, and the crowds would seem much bigger in provincial venues. If the only reason Dublin are playing at home every game is financial, then it's completely wrong in my opinion.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hill16 Blues on April 28, 2014, 12:28:17 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 28, 2014, 12:04:24 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 28, 2014, 11:58:56 AM
Not sure about your extrapolation of 6/7 points advantage Dinny, but I certainly agree that familiarity breeds comfort, comfort breeds confidence and confidence breeds performance. I was nearly killed for saying this before, but playing all your championship games in Croke Park for several years, and now half your league games or more, has got to give new Dub players a sense of confidence and comfort. Routine is huge for many players, and having a set routine for every big game you play has to be an advantage.

Having said that, I'm sure the Dubs would be happy to play down the country in the early rounds of the championship, and it's not the reason why they are winning all round them at the moment, but it is a help and anyone who denies that is being deliberately contrarian, or is burying their head in the sand.

Not sure of that myself just picked it out of the sky to exaggerate a point, we can look at the reasons why home advantage is such but it can't be denied that much I know.

I don't blame Dublin and no it's only a factor in many and why would they give up a competitive advantage they have a county board with a spine and are doing best for Dublin GAA.

Has anyone even remotely connected to Dublin asked that we play our leinster championship games in Croke Park? These games are there simply to generate income for the leinster council.  Will happily travel to any ground in leinster to play. And if we do and whack whoever it is we will be playing what will be the gripe at that point? Jealousy is a sh1t characteristic displayed by many small minded people on this site.

We are winning at the minute because we just happen to have the best team and players. In my time watching football this is probably the best Dublin team we have ever had. And as Kerry and Kilkenny have shown the best teams usually win. So for those with their anti Dublin agendas and hatred build a fcukn bridge and get over it!!

I hope you're not aiming that 'jealousy' barb at me Hill, because that's not my point at all. I've said that Dublin would beat all around them, regardless, and it's not as if Offaly are within 3 points and getting ye in Tullamore would swing it our way! I just think it's absolutely crazy to deny that an advantage exists for the Dubs in playing in Croke Park.

I've also said, by the way, that I'm sure Dublin would relish visiting other grounds. I remember them playing in Tullamore, Mullingar and Portlaoise, and it was a great occasion. Playing in the early rounds in Croke Park is a waste of time, and the attendances are not sell outs by any means.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 28, 2014, 12:31:29 PM
Not sure about your extrapolation of 6/7 points advantage Dinny, but I certainly agree that familiarity breeds comfort, comfort breeds confidence and confidence breeds performance. I was nearly killed for saying this before, but playing all your championship games in Croke Park for several years, and now half your league games or more, has got to give new Dub players a sense of confidence and comfort. Routine is huge for many players, and having a set routine for every big game you play has to be an advantage.

Having said that, I'm sure the Dubs would be happy to play down the country in the early rounds of the championship, and it's not the reason why they are winning all round them at the moment, but it is a help and anyone who denies that is being deliberately contrarian, or is burying their head in the sand.

Not sure of that myself just picked it out of the sky to exaggerate a point, we can look at the reasons why home advantage is such but it can't be denied that much I know.

I don't blame Dublin and no it's only a factor in many and why would they give up a competitive advantage they have a county board with a spine and are doing best for Dublin GAA.

Has anyone even remotely connected to Dublin asked that we play our leinster championship games in Croke Park? These games are there simply to generate income for the leinster council.  Will happily travel to any ground in leinster to play. And if we do and whack whoever it is we will be playing what will be the gripe at that point? Jealousy is a sh1t characteristic displayed by many small minded people on this site.

We are winning at the minute because we just happen to have the best team and players. In my time watching football this is probably the best Dublin team we have ever had. And as Kerry and Kilkenny have shown the best teams usually win. So for those with their anti Dublin agendas and hatred build a fcukn bridge and get over it!!

I hope you're not aiming that 'jealousy' barb at me Hill, because that's not my point at all. I've said that Dublin would beat all around them, regardless, and it's not as if Offaly are within 3 points and getting ye in Tullamore would swing it our way! I just think it's absolutely crazy to deny that an advantage exists for the Dubs in playing in Croke Park.

I've also said, by the way, that I'm sure Dublin would relish visiting other grounds. I remember them playing in Tullamore, Mullingar and Portlaoise, and it was a great occasion. Playing in the early rounds in Croke Park is a waste of time, and the attendances are not sell outs by any means.

Feck me you present an argument, go out of your way not to be critical of Dublin and you get accused of jealousy!! Small-minded! Really?
#newbridgeornowhere

Thisonegoesto11

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 28, 2014, 12:28:46 PM
That's very simplistic Thisonegoesto11 (that's far too long, we'll call you ThisOne :) ). Of course other teams have played well in Croke Park, that's not really the point. And of course Croke Park is not the reason why Dublin win, they have a great team at the moment, and are deservedly the top of the tree. HOWEVER it's very obvious in my mind that playing all your big games in one place, not to mind one place where you can be in your own bed the night before, is a big advantage. I'll not labour the point I'm making, but when you factor in the familiarity aspect, plus the huge home support, it has to be an advantage.

I think Dublin would beat every team in Leinster if they played in John Farrell's field in Birr, but at least it would make it a bit more novel, and the crowds would seem much bigger in provincial venues. If the only reason Dublin are playing at home every game is financial, then it's completely wrong in my opinion.

Yes sorry , Spinal Tap references is all I use on MBs 

Anyway on Croke park games, what can ye do?

All Leinster finals will be at CP as per tradition. Dublin will be there no matter where the first 2 rounds of Leinster are played.  Personally see no reason why first round games can't be played in a smaller stadium. Will actually make sense.

Then we have the same issue with the QFs. Do you make a 'Dublin' clause – their QF must be away from CP.  There's really nothing that can be done to appease this argument.

Have had great days/nights on the road with Dublin. Would have no issues going away for a championship game – we probably have as good as record as anyone (if we go back to the archives). Still believe that it wouldn't  be too much of handicap to this current team.

Main Street

Quote from: J OGorman on April 28, 2014, 11:30:25 AM
Quote from: Main Street on April 28, 2014, 01:21:36 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 27, 2014, 01:25:17 AM
It's only all Ireland's that count!! Meath were still better is all I will say!!
;)

As for the rest- to be honest it's a moot point

Dublin have some bit of an adv due to proximity and familiarity
But all key games are played there and any player/team worth their salt want to play there.
I know I was pssed off when croker was closed in 1988 to us and our all Ireland fresher final was relocated elsewhere!

Plus when someone can respond as to why there's no whinge at Kilkenny and Kerry's dominance without money to back this or players bought- I may respond!

Some eejits and closed minded people on here - plus others who could channel their undoubted passion to more positive effect!!
If by some freak state of affairs, Derry drew Dublin in the qualifiers to play at Celtic park, I'm led to believe that Derry would/should concede home advantage, traipse all the way to Dublin and expect their supporters to do the same, because it's a players ambition to play in Croke Park?  ::)
If Monaghan county board conceded home advantage to Dublin, I'd expect them to be chucked into Lough Major in a sack with some heavy rocks.

On finance, Kilkenny are a cash rich county, I think they are even richer than Dublin and Kerry are not that far behind them both.
Kerry are also cute hoors when it  come to things like raising cash for the pursuit of Sam.

that did happen about 10 years ago and the powers that be moved it to Clones!
And that was a round 2 game, no doubt it should have been played in Celtic Pk. Afair, it was played on a dull Saturday evening in Clones with poor atmosphere, made all the worse of course, with the Dubs winning. Why was it moved to Clones? some trumped up health and safety reason?
The Dubs travelled to the opposition home grounds  for round 2/3 qualifier games. in following years.

easytiger95

Lads I think this is all a matter of perspective - in fact I remember severaL commentators in the period 2005/2010 inclusive saying that Croke Park and the expectancy of the Hill was a distinct disadvantage for Dublin players in the Championship - once the Hill went silent and then started getting on the players' backs, the game was lost - eg Tyrone replay 2005, second half v Mayo 2006, Tyrone 2008, Kerry 2009, Meath 2010. In 2010, it was playing in front of smaller less expectant crowds in the qualifiers (albeit in Croker) that led to the teams rehabilitation. Having been there for all those occasions I can say that I and loads of other fans, saw no advantage to us in playing at Croke Park at all, indeed again commentators were saying that it was actively hampering our development.

Now we are stuck with the Spring Series and Rossfan accurately described its genesis - but it has been actively downgraded in terms of the entertainment offered and the crowds are a lot less (20-25k) now then they were when it started 5 years ago. I know that there are a lot of people involved who would much prefer if we went back to Parnell Park for League games and I'd say it won't be long before that is a reality.

It is very hard as a Dublin fan, whose first memories are of 83 and has spent most of my spectating life listening to country guys telling us we should be dominating with the population we have, God aren't ye terrible bottlers, isn't desperate that the GAA isn't stronger in the city, sure ye only fell over the line in 95 - after all that then be told that we are cheating when we are winning. Whatever about extrapolating point advantages from Soccereconomics, the only true fact that I know about any sport is that it is cyclical. Teams have their time and then fade - no matter who you are. The sheer begrudgery displayed towards a Dublin team that not only is successful, but doing it in a way that celebrates some of the best aspects of our games, from some on this board reflects badly on their own counties. It's mind boggling actually (not including you AZ or Dinny in that)

Hill16 Blues

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 28, 2014, 12:31:29 PM

No wasn't aimed at you. My initial point was response to your post. The rest of it aimed at the anti Dublin sh1te that pervades this site

muppet

Quote from: easytiger95 on April 28, 2014, 12:52:51 PM
Lads I think this is all a matter of perspective - in fact I remember severaL commentators in the period 2005/2010 inclusive saying that Croke Park and the expectancy of the Hill was a distinct disadvantage for Dublin players in the Championship - once the Hill went silent and then started getting on the players' backs, the game was lost - eg Tyrone replay 2005, second half v Mayo 2006, Tyrone 2008, Kerry 2009, Meath 2010. In 2010, it was playing in front of smaller less expectant crowds in the qualifiers (albeit in Croker) that led to the teams rehabilitation. Having been there for all those occasions I can say that I and loads of other fans, saw no advantage to us in playing at Croke Park at all, indeed again commentators were saying that it was actively hampering our development.

Now we are stuck with the Spring Series and Rossfan accurately described its genesis - but it has been actively downgraded in terms of the entertainment offered and the crowds are a lot less (20-25k) now then they were when it started 5 years ago. I know that there are a lot of people involved who would much prefer if we went back to Parnell Park for League games and I'd say it won't be long before that is a reality.

It is very hard as a Dublin fan, whose first memories are of 83 and has spent most of my spectating life listening to country guys telling us we should be dominating with the population we have, God aren't ye terrible bottlers, isn't desperate that the GAA isn't stronger in the city, sure ye only fell over the line in 95 - after all that then be told that we are cheating when we are winning. Whatever about extrapolating point advantages from Soccereconomics, the only true fact that I know about any sport is that it is cyclical. Teams have their time and then fade - no matter who you are. The sheer begrudgery displayed towards a Dublin team that not only is successful, but doing it in a way that celebrates some of the best aspects of our games, from some on this board reflects badly on their own counties. It's mind boggling actually (not including you AZ or Dinny in that)

Begrudery is as traditional as the Provincial Championships.
MWWSI 2017

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: easytiger95 on April 28, 2014, 12:52:51 PM
The sheer begrudgery displayed towards a Dublin team that not only is successful, but doing it in a way that celebrates some of the best aspects of our games, from some on this board reflects badly on their own counties. It's mind boggling actually (not including you AZ or Dinny in that)

Every team that enjoys success no matter what the sport will always have plenty of people wanting to knock them and take away from their success, e.g.:
- Jack Charlton's Ireland team was full of plastic paddys
- Alex Ferguson intimidated referees and his team received all the marginal calls
- Chelsea/Manchester City/Blackburn bought the league title
- Munster played an awful brand of ten man rugby to win Heineken Cups
- The Kilkenny team of the last fifteen years like the Clare team of the 90s were too physical
- Tyrone in the 00s played puke football
- Kerry since the year dot have had an easy time of things in Munster and have won soft All Irelands
- Dublin since 2011 have had way too much money and play every meaningful game in their own back yard etc.

No successful team is ever going to be universally popular. Enjoy the begrudgery, god knows there's enough counties out there who can only dream of Dublin's current success.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Croí na hÉireann

I'm all for letting as many people as possible in to games so until their is a 40k stadium in Leinster taking the Dubs out of Croker isn't really an option. Would the DCB ever look to build a 40k stadium in Dublin? With a cap on tickets you'd be guaranteed a great atmosphere under lights and it would probably be close to sold out for league games.

What I do have an issue with is Dublin being guaranteed the same dressing room and end to warm up in wheras it's a lottery for the other 32 counties if they are not playing Dublin. As AZ said
Quotefamiliarity breeds comfort, comfort breeds confidence and confidence breeds performance.
p.s. we don't get enough reminders on here of Dublin's blood lines and their tradition, great post easytiger.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Thisonegoesto11

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 28, 2014, 02:01:58 PM
I'm all for letting as many people as possible in to games so until their is a 40k stadium in Leinster taking the Dubs out of Croker isn't really an option. Would the DCB ever look to build a 40k stadium in Dublin? With a cap on tickets you'd be guaranteed a great atmosphere under lights and it would probably be close to sold out for league games.

What I do have an issue with is Dublin being guaranteed the same dressing room and end to warm up in wheras it's a lottery for the other 32 counties if they are not playing Dublin. As AZ said
Quotefamiliarity breeds comfort, comfort breeds confidence and confidence breeds performance.
p.s. we don't get enough reminders on here of Dublin's blood lines and their tradition, great post easytiger.

Dressing rooms are important to Maria Carey but didn't surely no big deal for GAA Footballers
(If they do, throwing Diva like tantrums is the way to get a better dressing room). 

Dublin often start badly. However if they start well, dressing rooms and warm up areas are factors? Players in high tempo games don't suddenly remember their warm up routine or the comforting aroma of their dressing room. Cannot think of a Croke Park game that didn't play out or twist by events on the pitch.

It just boils down to one team against another.

Dinny Breen

Going all Vincent Hogan and crunched some numbers since Feb 2011 Dublin have played only 12 away games, they have won 6 of those games, drawing 2 and losing 4. In the same period they have played an astonishing 38 home games, winning 32, drawing 1 and losing just 5 games.

Away from home they have just the 50% winning record, at home that jumps to 84%.

You can be deliberating obtuse all you want and argue the sample size is too small, the quality of opponent particularly in Leinster is poor but sound reasoning shows that playing all your games in Croke Park is advantage.

Only once in those four years have Dublin had to play more than 3 games away from home four in 2012, they lost 3 of those games.

Fair balls to Dublin, seriously talented team but hypothetically if they had to beat Longford in Pearse Park, Meath in Portlaoise and Cork in Thurles on the way to an All-Ireland title it would only give credence to the opinion that we are possibly looking at one the great teams as stands they have their home comforts and we might never know how good this team really is...

#newbridgeornowhere

Hound

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 28, 2014, 03:26:52 PM
You can be deliberating obtuse all you want and argue the sample size is too small, the quality of opponent particularly in Leinster is poor but sound reasoning shows that playing all your games in Croke Park is advantage.

Hasn't been one in a while, but since 1974 Dublin have played over 40 games in the Leinster championship outside of Croke Park. From memory, I think we just lost once (Laois - 1981). However, in that time each of Meath, Kildare, Offaly, Laois and Westmeath have beaten us in Croke Park!

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Thisonegoesto11 on April 28, 2014, 02:58:56 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 28, 2014, 02:01:58 PM

Dressing rooms are important to Maria Carey but didn't surely no big deal for GAA Footballers
(If they do, throwing Diva like tantrums is the way to get a better dressing room). 

Dublin often start badly. However if they start well, dressing rooms and warm up areas are factors? Players in high tempo games don't suddenly remember their warm up routine or the comforting aroma of their dressing room. Cannot think of a Croke Park game that didn't play out or twist by events on the pitch.

It just boils down to one team against another.

Familiarity breeds comfort, comfort breeds confidence and confidence breeds performance.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly