Playing at home for the rest of the Season (year)!

Started by From the Bunker, April 07, 2014, 08:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Dont Matter on April 25, 2014, 12:26:22 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on April 25, 2014, 12:16:43 PM
Don't Matter, you wouldn't happen to be the same Laois chap that pollutes twitter?

I pollute nowhere. I don't even fart. Twitter would be against my nature.
i don't find that funny
My cousin had a rare condition which prevented him from flattulating to the extent that all the pressure built up over the years until eventually it all came out in one go. Poor chap died after 7 years of excruciating pain.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

INDIANA

Quote from: Dont Matter on April 25, 2014, 11:48:09 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 25, 2014, 11:44:50 AM
We must be the only county who prefer Croke Park to our home ground!! I'd say Tyrone are the same going by the state of the pitch in Omagh ;)

What county are you? Do you think if your county played every championship game at home they'd have an advantage?

Some counties set their sights high. Don't lump them all into the underachieving bracket you reside in.

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Jinxy on April 25, 2014, 01:17:32 PM
At least he went out with a bang.
he did indeed! But it wasn't the fart that killed him !

Jell 0 Biafra

There are a lot of inter-related issues getting mixed together here.  I think it would be a good idea to untangle them:

Do Dublin fans want to travel to away games? 

Yes.  Not bandwagon supporters, obviously, but Dublin fans always travel in numbers playing away.  Most Dublin posters here have said they would love some away games over the summer.

Do players from other counties want to play in Croke Park, as opposed to playing in smaller provincial grounds?

I'm not sure, but I would guess that most players would want to play in Croker given the chance.

Is it feasible, financially, for the GAA to put Dublin on the road?   

Maybe.  But it clearly means sacrificing an almost full Croke Park in the early rounds of Leinster for, say, 15-20,000 attendance elsewhere.  That's a big hit, and it would mean less in the way of funding at grassroots level.

Is it an advantage for Dublin to play in Croke Park?

Undeniably.   
That of course does not mean that teams not good enough to beat Dublin would beat them outside of Croker.  Nor does it mean that Dublin teams that aren't good enough to win it all would magically win just by virtue of playing in Dublin (see 1996-2010).  But it does mean that teams at the top tier—where the margins are pretty fine—are put at a slight disadvantage. And that might be enough to swing a tight game in Dublin's favor.  Perhaps Kerry might have beaten Dublin in 2011 if the match had been in Semple stadium, for example.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on April 25, 2014, 05:04:10 PM
There are a lot of inter-related issues getting mixed together here.  I think it would be a good idea to untangle them:

Do Dublin fans want to travel to away games? 

Yes.  Not bandwagon supporters, obviously, but Dublin fans always travel in numbers playing away.  Most Dublin posters here have said they would love some away games over the summer.

Do players from other counties want to play in Croke Park, as opposed to playing in smaller provincial grounds?

I'm not sure, but I would guess that most players would want to play in Croker given the chance.

Is it feasible, financially, for the GAA to put Dublin on the road?   

Maybe.  But it clearly means sacrificing an almost full Croke Park in the early rounds of Leinster for, say, 15-20,000 attendance elsewhere.  That's a big hit, and it would mean less in the way of funding at grassroots level.

Is it an advantage for Dublin to play in Croke Park?

Undeniably.   
That of course does not mean that teams not good enough to beat Dublin would beat them outside of Croker.  Nor does it mean that Dublin teams that aren't good enough to win it all would magically win just by virtue of playing in Dublin (see 1996-2010).  But it does mean that teams at the top tier—where the margins are pretty fine—are put at a slight disadvantage. And that might be enough to swing a tight game in Dublin's favor. Perhaps Kerry might have beaten Dublin in 2011 if the match had been in Semple stadium, for example.

And Dublin won the 2009 game perhaps if it was in Semple ???

"Dont Matter" Id say you are a Ted Bundy in the making

Dont Matter

Quote from: INDIANA on April 25, 2014, 01:29:26 PM
Some counties set their sights high. Don't lump them all into the underachieving bracket you reside in.

So you don't think other counties should play every championship match at home? Only Dublin.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Dont Matter

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on April 25, 2014, 05:48:18 PM
"Dont Matter" Id say you are a Ted Bundy in the making

;D I'm a serial killer now for pointing out Dublin's cheating. They really don't like the truth of their success being exposed.
Peter Quinn

INDIANA

Quote from: Dont Matter on April 26, 2014, 11:27:04 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on April 25, 2014, 01:29:26 PM

So you don't think other counties should play every championship match at home? Only Dublin.

Croke Park is a national stadium. We are not the fixture makers.

lynchbhoy

All players want to play in croke park!
From underage to adult - hurling, football, camogie and ladies football!

Sure ever soccer and rugby would still want tobplaybthere ( for extra revenue!)

Any team that wants success , has to play in croker as that's where the semis and finals are played!
In past few decades Dublin have rarely been the opposition!

Sports people are competitive so want to play there!

Money wasn't the factor behind kilkenny's dominance in hurling !!
Time, coaching and focus were the factors - same as dublins rising - ya can't buy players!

Ringfort

Quote from: Johnnybegood on April 25, 2014, 12:16:23 PM
When spurs play in wen let are they playing at home?

Wembley, I presume you mean.

Good man - the exact analogy I have used before. Hopefully the penny will drop for you now.

If Spurs played ALL their games in Wembley, yes they are in effect 'at home' and at a competitive advantage. White Hart Lane holds, what, 35-40K and is always full (I think). But a Spurs team doing well, winning things could see 50k+ wanting tickets. So do you move them to the national stadium just to accomodate the spectators? Spurs are in the FA Cup and get drawn away to say, Burnley (promoted to the EPL next year ie at a decent level). But Turf Moor holds only 20K, how will all the Spurs fans get into the game? And what about the lost revenue from all those who could not get tickets? Surely the sensible option is to play the game (and all future games to ensure this does not happen again) at Wembley where there are plenty of tickets for everyone! Burnley won't mind cos its every kids dream to play at Wembley, right? And the Burnley fans don't mind cos they would naturally relish the chance, as gruff Northerners, to get down to the big smoke and have a lash at the soft Southerners on their own patch. What could be better motivation? You would nearly say Burnley are at an advantage here, not Spurs!!

Dublin lads, how ye can try and deflect and deny the advantage your county gets is beyond me. Yes, Dublin are the best in the country at the moment. There has been nothing but praise for their style the last couple of years. I know the real supporters would like to get down the province for LSC games and I know its out of ye're hands but people are only trying to get a bit of recognition out of you that you hold a slight advantage over the competition. To try and claim otherwise is absurd.

INDIANA

Quote from: Ringfort on April 26, 2014, 01:30:12 PM
Quote from: Johnnybegood on April 25, 2014, 12:16:23 PM
When spurs play in wen let are they playing at home?

Wembley, I presume you mean.

Good man - the exact analogy I have used before. Hopefully the penny will drop for you now.

If Spurs played ALL their games in Wembley, yes they are in effect 'at home' and at a competitive advantage. White Hart Lane holds, what, 35-40K and is always full (I think). But a Spurs team doing well, winning things could see 50k+ wanting tickets. So do you move them to the national stadium just to accomodate the spectators? Spurs are in the FA Cup and get drawn away to say, Burnley (promoted to the EPL next year ie at a decent level). But Turf Moor holds only 20K, how will all the Spurs fans get into the game? And what about the lost revenue from all those who could not get tickets? Surely the sensible option is to play the game (and all future games to ensure this does not happen again) at Wembley where there are plenty of tickets for everyone! Burnley won't mind cos its every kids dream to play at Wembley, right? And the Burnley fans don't mind cos they would naturally relish the chance, as gruff Northerners, to get down to the big smoke and have a lash at the soft Southerners on their own patch. What could be better motivation? You would nearly say Burnley are at an advantage here, not Spurs!!

Dublin lads, how ye can try and deflect and deny the advantage your county gets is beyond me. Yes, Dublin are the best in the country at the moment. There has been nothing but praise for their style the last couple of years. I know the real supporters would like to get down the province for LSC games and I know its out of ye're hands but people are only trying to get a bit of recognition out of you that you hold a slight advantage over the competition. To try and claim otherwise is absurd.

What do people want us to do though?

Dublin fans would love to play elsewhere. But Croke Park won't forgoe the revenue. I'm fed up going to Croke Park for Leinster Champiosnhip games.

The other side of the coin is that revenue builds a lot of GAA facilities around the country.

Ringfort

We know you as fans cannot do anything about the venue. It is the fault of HQ and to a lesser extent the Dublin CB and the other Leinster counties CB's for not kicking up a stink over it. Money, unfortunately, like everything in modern life, is King.

It would be nice if the Dub fans did not deny and deflect that they are at a competitive advantage though. I hope the campaign builds steam. It is not aimed at genuine Dublin GAA men but the powers that be in HQ.

Dont Matter

Quote from: INDIANA on April 26, 2014, 01:00:39 PM
Croke Park is a national stadium. We are not the fixture makers.

It's Dublin's home stadium. You haven't objected too hard about having to play every game at home, you've accepted the millions of euro gladly also.
Peter Quinn

Dont Matter

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 26, 2014, 01:25:10 PM
All players want to play in croke park!
From underage to adult - hurling, football, camogie and ladies football!

Sure ever soccer and rugby would still want tobplaybthere ( for extra revenue!)

Any team that wants success , has to play in croker as that's where the semis and finals are played!
In past few decades Dublin have rarely been the opposition!

Sports people are competitive so want to play there!

Money wasn't the factor behind kilkenny's dominance in hurling !!
Time, coaching and focus were the factors - same as dublins rising - ya can't buy players!

I've exposed this lad as a Dub in disguise before. Trying so hard to be accepted that he can't say a bad word about them.
Peter Quinn