Playing at home for the rest of the Season (year)!

Started by From the Bunker, April 07, 2014, 08:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hill16 Blues

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 24, 2014, 11:29:08 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 24, 2014, 11:12:39 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on April 24, 2014, 11:02:59 PM
Quote from: Johnnybegood on April 23, 2014, 08:32:59 AM
How many championship games did johnny Doyle play in Croker?

I have a better question for ya! How many times in knock out competition (League and Championship) has say Bernard Brogan played outside Croke ParK?

Don't get this whole Croke Park obsession lads. It's where all top players want to play. The current Cork, Kerry, Mayo, Kildare, Tyrone and Donegal panels know the stadium well by this stage. If anything it brings out the best in players.

Brian Mc Iver was thrilled the semi finals were at HQ and is delighted to take Derry back this weekend!

You are right you don't get it! I have no problem with the Dubs playing in Croker when it is a final (in the League) or a Leinster final or an AI semi or Final. It's great to play in Croker when you have earned the right. Problem is Dublin never have to earn the right anymore.

Earn the right! Are you serious? What a load of self serving nonsense. Personally I couldn't give a toss where we play. We are fortunate to have a team at the minute who will beat any team in leinster where ever the game is played.

In fact most Dublin supporters would be more than happy to play outside Dublin. We did it for many years and in all that time rarely lost a game So if that's what you're hoping for you'll be waiting

Our fellow counties in leinster might in fact tire of this quickly as they find not only will they still lose to Dublin but their share of ticket monies will also go down significantly. Turkey's voting for Christmas and all that.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Johnnybegood on April 24, 2014, 11:45:11 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on April 24, 2014, 11:38:33 PM
Quote from: Johnnybegood on April 24, 2014, 11:25:04 PM

I have a better question for ya! How many times in knock out competition (League and Championship) has say Bernard Brogan played outside Croke ParK?
Bernard brogan as we all know has never played a champo game outside croker
Any of the potential teams to play Dublin outside croker in the Leinster champo wouldn't jane a hope of beating Dublin regardless of venue
Laois Wexford Wicklow etc
A fixture against either Meath or Kildare gas to be played in croker as both fixtures would draw at least 45k
There wouldn't be much advantage playing Kildare in croker as they have/had players like johnny Doyle that has played there not once not twice but 34 times. Teams raise their game playing in croker especially against Dublin
All this Dublin home advantage, Dublin sponsorship, Dublin have all the money malarkey smacks to me of jealousy and begrudgery, wasn't a problem a few years ago when Dublin were being humiliated in croker to wails of country delight.
These days we choke on all Ireland medals.
Swings and roundabouts with the emergence and decline of great teams. All pretenders to dublins throne would be better off to stop concentrating their moans on Dublin and knuckle down to beat us on the pitch.

Jez, I was sure Bernard had played at least one game knock out game outside of Croke Park. That's amazing! I was expecting an answer back of 5! Feck! Just goes to show you the monopoly of Dublin and keeping it at home. Crazy stuff! Is there another sport with this bias toward one team? I am not blaming the Players or the fans? They are just pawns in all of this. Happy pawns, but pawns all the same.
was this so called bias towards Dublin prevalent throughout the noughties ? Did Dublin have an advantage over mayo in last years final?

Yeah, I'd say it was not as prevelant through out the noughties, that is because Dublin only started playing Home League games in Croke park during this time and there was the odd Leinster Championship match down the country. If you look this directly correlates with Dublins recent Leinster Successes and now AI successes? It's only natural that a team who play at home (and do it now more often) will do better than visiting teams. I was going to say you are fighting a losing battle, but in reality it is us who are the losers. As for Dublin having an advantage over Mayo, What do you think? No travel arrangements, really familiar ground, Own house and bed the night before. But I'm not arguing about Finals. Finals have to be in Croke Park. I'm looking at the (so called) smaller games!

Johnnybegood

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 24, 2014, 11:58:35 PM

Any of the potential teams to play Dublin outside croker in the Leinster champo wouldn't jane a hope of beating Dublin regardless of venue
A fixture against either Meath or Kildare gas to be played in croker as both fixtures would draw at least 45k
There wouldn't be much advantage playing Kildare in croker as they have/had players like johnny Doyle that has played there not once not twice but 34 times. Teams raise their game playing in croker especially against Dublin
All this Dublin home advantage, Dublin sponsorship, Dublin have all the money malarkey smacks to me of jealousy and begrudgery, wasn't a problem a few years ago when Dublin were being humiliated in croker to wails of country delight.
Swings and roundabouts with the emergence and decline of great teams. All pretenders to dublins throne would be better off to stop concentrating their moans on Dublin and knuckle down to beat us on the pitch.

Jez, I was sure Bernard had played at least one game knock out game outside of Croke Park. That's amazing! I was expecting an answer back of 5! Feck! Just goes to show you the monopoly of Dublin and keeping it at home. Crazy stuff! Is there another sport with this bias toward one team? I am not blaming the Players or the fans? They are just pawns in all of this. Happy pawns, but pawns all the same.
was this so called bias towards Dublin prevalent throughout the noughties ? Did Dublin have an advantage over mayo in last years final?

Yeah, I'd say it was not as prevelant through out the noughties, that is because Dublin only started playing Home League games in Croke park during this time and there was the odd Leinster Championship match down the country. If you look this directly correlates with Dublins recent Leinster Successes and now AI successes? It's only natural that a team who play at home (and do it now more often) will do better than visiting teams. I was going to say you are fighting a losing battle, but in reality it is us who are the losers. As for Dublin having an advantage over Mayo, What do you think? No travel arrangements, really familiar ground, Own house and bed the night before. But I'm not arguing about Finals. Finals have to be in Croke Park. I'm looking at the (so called) smaller games!
let's take the smaller games! Dublin historically don't loose the smaller games on the road.
The spring series didn't start until 2010. There is no evidence that playing in Croker for the league is an advantage come the summer, we played our league games there in the early nineties and won shag all!
As for sleeping in there own beds, pat gilroy organised for the squad to stay in a hotel together to try and create the same kind of team bond that teams from the country garner through travelling together, he obviously felt they had an advantage in that regard.
There was no problem with advantages when Dublin were shite, now we have a top team that only a handful of counties would get near and it's a moan moan moan from our country cousins! It all smacks to me of Culchies not being able to take a beating from Dublin and certain sections of the media pumping Dublin up only to bate them ala the English soccer team by tapping into the prevalent anti Dublin feeling with some ( most likely quite a few) countrywide. Also it's a platform for the begrudgery of this fine Dublin team. Possibly the greatest Dublin team to date!
I do however think that Jim Gavin or the DCB should come out and say we'll play anyone anywhere!
I would have loved a first round in port Laois, OMoore park would have been perfect. I reckon it could have easily held the 15/20k travelling support. Dublin would no way bring more than 20k for a first round and the gaa know it.  So it's kind of a disadvantage for Dublin now as their hands are tied and they are getting slated left right and centre.

INDIANA

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 24, 2014, 11:58:35 PM

Scorelines will be the same. Most of the dublin lads would be very familiar with Portaloise, Tullamore and Navan. Played there multiple times at underage.

Kildare don't have  a ground capable of holding even 10,000 and you want to move an 60-70k crowd to it? That's just not feasible.

Bring it on. I look forward to ripping the piss out of some of the naysayers. A lot of these lads have gone to Nowlan Park and beaten Kilkenny underage  hurling teams in their home patch- the hardest challenge in sport.

Do you honestly think going down to play div3 and div4 teams in their own patch would bother them? I'd love a few road trips a year anyway.

If Kerry had done the double no-one would give a shit. But the reality is this is an Independent Media conspiracy run by Kerrymen who are worried that their status is going down the toilet. And the other counties are happy to buy into it.

johnneycool

Quote from: INDIANA on April 25, 2014, 07:43:25 AM

Bring it on. I look forward to ripping the piss out of some of the naysayers. A lot of these lads have gone to Nowlan Park and beaten Kilkenny underage  hurling teams in their home patch- the hardest challenge in sport.

Down hurlers did this too, but at senior level and to relegate Kilkenny into Div2, even DJ couldn't save the day!!

From the Bunker

Lads ye are not getting the point. This is all about familiarity. True ye will still more than likely beat Div 3 and Div 4 teams in their own patch. Every game no matter how minor gives ye a distinct advantage of having a game under yer belt in Croke park before ye get to the bigger games, which other counties have wait for and earn. I don't see where the hostility is coming from. It would be great for the wider community as the wealth would be spread across the province. I'm sure Dublin fans would like to see the Blue army descend with colour on towns and take them over for the day.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 25, 2014, 09:48:13 AM
Lads ye are not getting the point. This is all about familiarity. True ye will still more than likely beat Div 3 and Div 4 teams in their own patch. Every game no matter how minor gives ye a distinct advantage of having a game under yer belt in Croke park before ye get to the bigger games, which other counties have wait for and earn. I don't see where the hostility is coming from. It would be great for the wider community as the wealth would be spread across the province. I'm sure Dublin fans would like to see the Blue army descend with colour on towns and take them over for the day.

So only the Leinster Final would be in Croke Park??

Johnnybegood

do you accept then that teams(good ones)  travelling to Croker have a different kind of motivational advantage in a 'let's go up here and get stuck into the dubs and silence them on their own patch' ? 

Dont Matter

Quote from: Johnnybegood on April 24, 2014, 09:39:33 PM
Quote from: Dont Matter on April 24, 2014, 08:10:21 PM
I avoid going to Dublin as much as possible as all you get is abused by junkies, why would I sign up to that site for the same treatmeant?
seek and you'll find ! Or maybe because the lads over there  know Dublin gaa and would wipe the floor with your argument!

;D I deal with indisputable facts, you can't argue with them.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

northsideboy

Junkies native to every town in Ireland. Nows where the ignore button

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Dont Matter on April 25, 2014, 10:41:36 AM
Quote from: Johnnybegood on April 24, 2014, 09:39:33 PM
Quote from: Dont Matter on April 24, 2014, 08:10:21 PM
I avoid going to Dublin as much as possible as all you get is abused by junkies, why would I sign up to that site for the same treatmeant?
seek and you'll find ! Or maybe because the lads over there  know Dublin gaa and would wipe the floor with your argument!

;D I deal with indisputable facts, you can't argue with them.
no you don't ! You are economical with the truth to further your agenda and when questions are put to you you fail to answer them. When you put up exactly what  the money given to Dublin was actually spent on you may gain some creedance, until then however your argument and so called facts lie in the realms of fiction.
Incidentally Laois has the highest number of methadone users per capita in Ireland!

Dont Matter

They'd find it difficult to beat Dublin anywhere because of the money situation but counties like Laois, Wexford or Wicklow would have a better chance in their home venue. Remember the last time Dublin played a championship game outside Croke Park, Longford should have beaten them. Also, in the years preceding the Dubs turning professional, Westmeath and Laois beat them. They'd find it very difficult to do it now, that's the unfairness of the money situation for you.

Clearly the Dubs don't care about this unfairness, they celebrate it but also they have huge disrespect for other counties. They aren't good enough to beat us in their grounds anyway so don't make us waste our time going there. This Dub here is even trying to claim playing at home in every single championship game for 8 years is not an advantage.  ;D
Then it's that everyone else is begrudging us.  :D They see having a multi million euro system as their right, it's only proper that they play every game at home they think, sure don't all the culchies love a day out in Dubilan and they get the honour of playing the Dubs in their home patch.  ;D

This is what happens when you start feeding a county millions of euro, success obviously comes and they get too big for their boots. They even wanted to be granted Provincial status. It's gone way too far, with the sponsorship they're getting along with everything else they are out of control. Dublin county board are dealing with 8 figure sums while some other county boards are dealing with 5. Splitting them is the only option left.
Peter Quinn

Dont Matter

Quote from: Hill16 Blues on April 24, 2014, 11:50:15 PM
Earn the right! Are you serious? What a load of self serving nonsense. Personally I couldn't give a toss where we play. We are fortunate to have a team at the minute who will beat any team in leinster where ever the game is played.

In fact most Dublin supporters would be more than happy to play outside Dublin. We did it for many years and in all that time rarely lost a game So if that's what you're hoping for you'll be waiting

Our fellow counties in leinster might in fact tire of this quickly as they find not only will they still lose to Dublin but their share of ticket monies will also go down significantly. Turkey's voting for Christmas and all that.

You know your only winning Leinster most years and challenging for All Irelands because of the money don't you?
Peter Quinn

Dont Matter

Quote from: INDIANA on April 25, 2014, 07:43:25 AM
Scorelines will be the same. Most of the dublin lads would be very familiar with Portaloise, Tullamore and Navan. Played there multiple times at underage.

Kildare don't have  a ground capable of holding even 10,000 and you want to move an 60-70k crowd to it? That's just not feasible.

Do you honestly think going down to play div3 and div4 teams in their own patch would bother them? I'd love a few road trips a year anyway.

If Kerry had done the double no-one would give a shit. But the reality is this is an Independent Media conspiracy run by Kerrymen who are worried that their status is going down the toilet. And the other counties are happy to buy into it.

Beating Kilkenny in Nowlan Park in underage hurling. How did this come about? Out of nowhere you started producing hurlers to beat Kilkenny. Mad stuff. Started improving from 2005 did you? What could have happened around then that improved Dublin hurling so much that you now can beat Kilkenny hurlers. Hmmmmm must have been something big. You don't think it had anything to do with millions upon millions being pumped into Dublin GAA do you? Noooooooo, couldn't possibly be that.  ;D Thing is, you still boast about the victories even though they are tainted. It'd be like Michelle Smith gloating about her Olympic medals.
Peter Quinn

Dont Matter

Ofcourse it's a huge advantage. If any other county in Ireland had every game at home it would be a huge advantage for them aswell. How can this even be questioned?
Peter Quinn