Playing at home for the rest of the Season (year)!

Started by From the Bunker, April 07, 2014, 08:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dont Matter

'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

muppet

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 21, 2014, 11:02:07 PM
How come home advantage has only recently become a issue? I don't remember too many people giving out about Dublin having home advantage when Kerry, Armagh, Mayo and Tyrone were regularly beating them during the 2000's and they hadnt won an All Ireland in 15 odd years.

The money is going to the capital as it has the greatest concentration of people and good on those responsible for using it to develop the game and achieve success, they clearly have a plan in place which is working. Fair play to the Dubs, they are the team to beat at the minute and sadly, there's something inherent in the psyche of certain Irish people to try and discredit those that are successful. (e.g. Kerry have it too easy in Munster therefore get an easy ride to the AI qtrs/semis, Tyrone and Armagh play puke football, Dublin get too much money etc).

I know if I was playing county football I'd much prefer to be playing in Croker than Portlaois, Tullamore or Clones.

Very good post.
MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

Quote from: Dont Matter on April 21, 2014, 11:27:26 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on April 21, 2014, 11:07:14 PM
The poor state of Leinster football has got nothing to do with playing in Croke Park.  Kildare and Meath took their eye off the ball at underage that's not our fault

Last time Dublin played a championship game outside Croke Park Longford should have beaten them.

But they didn't and the wouldn't beat the current side playing in the dark in the handball alley in Longford Town. This is only a problem for the likes of you because its Dublin. If Kerry won five in a row there wouldn't be a peep out of you.

BennyHarp

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 21, 2014, 11:29:28 PM
How come home advantage has only recently become a issue? I don't remember too many people giving out about Dublin having home advantage when Kerry, Armagh, Mayo and Tyrone were regularly beating them during the 2000's and they hadnt won an All Ireland in 15 odd years.

The money is going to the capital as it has the greatest concentration of people and good on those responsible for using it to develop the game and achieve success, they clearly have a plan in place which is working. Fair play to the Dubs, they are the team to beat at the minute and sadly, there's something inherent in the psyche of certain Irish people to try and discredit those that are successful. (e.g. Kerry have it too easy in Munster therefore get an easy ride to the AI qtrs/semis, Tyrone and Armagh play puke football, Dublin get too much money etc).

I know if I was playing county football I'd much prefer to be playing in Croker than Portlaois, Tullamore or Clones.

One of the main reasons was Dublin did not play all their home League games in Croker. Also they played down the country in early rounds of the Championship. So the exposure was less. I'm not going to go into the money side of things. Look there is a greater threat to the game in Dublin from Rugby and Soccer. Here in Mayo we are lucky there is no such threat. The same can be said for Limerick and Cork to name a few. All joking aside though. It is a gas situation!

So one of the main reasons Armagh, Kerry, Tyrone and Mayo beat Dublin in the championship in Croker during those years was because Dublin did not play their league games there? Really?
That was never a square ball!!

INDIANA

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 22, 2014, 10:30:49 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on April 21, 2014, 11:29:28 PM

One of the main reasons was Dublin did not play all their home League games in Croker. Also they played down the country in early rounds of the Championship. So the exposure was less. I'm not going to go into the money side of things. Look there is a greater threat to the game in Dublin from Rugby and Soccer. Here in Mayo we are lucky there is no such threat. The same can be said for Limerick and Cork to name a few. All joking aside though. It is a gas situation!

So one of the main reasons Armagh, Kerry, Tyrone and Mayo beat Dublin in the championship in Croker during those years was because Dublin did not play their league games there? Really?

They beat Dublin because they were better then Dublin. And if the games were in omagh, Castlebar and the athletic grounds they'd still have beaten Dublin

Recent analysis has shown county grounds to be the same size as croke park rubbishing the colm Parkinson theory that these pitches are tighter. They aren't colm do some proper analysis the next time before you start waffling on national radio.

sheamy

Lads, this is nonsense. Every team loves Croke Park. I'm fairly sure the Derry players will relish going to play them there on Sunday and wouldn't want it anywhere else. Playing the Dubs in Croke Park is where you want to be.

The Dubs are putting in a lot of work at grassroots and should be commended. At the end of the day you put 26 names down on a sheet of paper and play a game at senior level. All the underage titles in the world don't count at that point.

The only thing which is a bit of a joke is the fact that they are getting a centre of excellence for no cost. That's poor when you consider the fundraising efforts of other counties.

Walter Cronc

I honestly think most counties (especially those from Leinster and Mayo) have a huge inferiority complex when it comes to playing the Dubs. Ulster counties thrive on it. Who wouldnt want to play in front of 80,000 people with the hill booing and jeering. Thats what its all about and to beat them (Donegal 92, Derry 93, Down 94, Armagh 02, Tyrone 05) against the odds, gives a player no better feeling!!

Jinxy

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 22, 2014, 11:54:58 AM
I honestly think most counties (especially those from Leinster and Mayo) have a huge inferiority complex when it comes to playing the Dubs. Ulster counties thrive on it. Who wouldnt want to play in front of 80,000 people with the hill booing and jeering. Thats what its all about and to beat them (Donegal 92, Derry 93, Down 94, Armagh 02, Tyrone 05) against the odds, gives a player no better feeling!!

Plenty of non-Ulster teams beat them during this period.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

squire_in_navy_slacks

get a grip will you against the odds????? tyrone would have bet us that year in any venue

Mayo do not have an inferiority complex playing against Dublin, they beat us in the 2006 semi final ..............(one of the greatest games ever witnessed particularly rolled out by country brethren everywhere, croke park, full of dubs blah blah blah) .....................2012 another semi final beat us and came close last year in a final  ::)

Kerry have annihilated us many times there, Armagh humiliated us and likewise Tyrone ............................. oh be the time when Dublin are shite again I wonder what the muldoons will moan about then

Dont Matter

Quote from: INDIANA on April 22, 2014, 07:45:53 AM
But they didn't and the wouldn't beat the current side playing in the dark in the handball alley in Longford Town. This is only a problem for the likes of you because its Dublin. If Kerry won five in a row there wouldn't be a peep out of you.

Since Longford nearly beat Dublin in 2006, Dublin have received millions upon millions while Longford have received a few thousand. Ofcourse Longford wouldn't beat Dublin, it would be a struggle normally without the money due to the population difference etc so how could they possibly compete now? Do you see any honour in Dublin beating Longford?
If Kerry were receiving 1.5million yearly and everyone else only receiving tiny fractions of that amount then I would have a problem with it, if they were winning 5 in a row or not. You would too but you don't have a problem because it's Dublin been handed All Irelands.
Peter Quinn

Dont Matter

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 22, 2014, 10:30:49 AM

1,500,000 yearly.
Peter Quinn

Dont Matter

Quote from: sheamy on April 22, 2014, 11:47:50 AM
Lads, this is nonsense. Every team loves Croke Park. I'm fairly sure the Derry players will relish going to play them there on Sunday and wouldn't want it anywhere else. Playing the Dubs in Croke Park is where you want to be.

The Dubs are putting in a lot of work at grassroots and should be commended. At the end of the day you put 26 names down on a sheet of paper and play a game at senior level. All the underage titles in the world don't count at that point.

The only thing which is a bit of a joke is the fact that they are getting a centre of excellence for no cost. That's poor when you consider the fundraising efforts of other counties.

You don't think having a conveyor belt of underage talent helps in winning at senior level.  ;D Just forget about it.
Peter Quinn

Dont Matter

Whatever about using Croke Park as their home pitch how can anyone justify 1.5 million yearly?
Peter Quinn

Dont Matter

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks link=topic=24506.msg1344313#msg1344313
get a grip will you against the odds????? tyrone would have bet us that year in any venue

Mayo do not have an inferiority complex playing against Dublin, they beat us in the 2006 semi final ..............(one of the greatest games ever witnessed particularly rolled out by country brethren everywhere, croke park, full of dubs blah blah blah) .....................2012 another semi final beat us and came close last year in a final  ::)

Kerry have annihilated us many times there, Armagh humiliated us and likewise Tyrone ............................. oh be the time when Dublin are shite again I wonder what the muldoons will moan about then

1.5 million yearly.
Peter Quinn

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Dont Matter on April 22, 2014, 01:13:57 PM

Whatever about using Croke Park as their home pitch how can anyone justify 1.5 million yearly?

how can anyone justifty a laois man taking other lads jobs in newstalk......................under cutting weasal