Playing at home for the rest of the Season (year)!

Started by From the Bunker, April 07, 2014, 08:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on April 14, 2014, 11:42:04 AM
Quote from: Fuzzman on April 14, 2014, 11:05:05 AM
In recent years I've went to a few Leinster games and especially the first round games or the semis the fans of both teams know it's a forgone conclusion and teams like Kildare or Meath seem happy to just come to Croker for the day out and maybe watch a double header.

Croke Park has lost all its novelty for me.

Imagine how we feel

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: heffo on April 14, 2014, 11:50:07 AM
In recent years I've went to a few Leinster games and especially the first round games or the semis the fans of both teams know it's a forgone conclusion and teams like Kildare or Meath seem happy to just come to Croker for the day out and maybe watch a double header.

Croke Park has lost all its novelty for me.

Imagine how we feel

At least ye tend to win there!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dont Matter

The Dubs are up in arms, they don't like the truth of their success exposed. Dublin's improvement at underage, especially in hurling, reminds me a lot of Michelle Smith. Here's a list of comparisons:
Out of nowhere Michelle started improving her performances hugely.
Out of nowhere Dublin started improving their performances hugely.
Michelle said it was all down to really hard work, a plan put together by her and her coach, the others were just jealous of her success.
Dublin say it was all down to hard work, a plan devised by DCB, the others are just jealous of their success.
It turns out that the reason for Michelles amazing improvement was a shed load of drugs.
It turns out that the reason for Dublin's amazing improvement was a shed load of cash.

In both of these cases we're dealing with cheats, Michelle a drugs cheat and Dublin are financial cheats. Why are they let away with it?

There was a young lad here yesterday trying to defend the millions gone to Dublin GAA. He was sent packing with his tail between his legs as there's no defence for it. Any argument you make for Dublin getting the money can be made in every other county. Even the population one as some counties with half Dublins population are getting nowhere near half their games development fund. The young lad even tried to add 400,000 people onto Dublin's population at one stage he was so desperate.  ;D

Look, it's obvious the Dubs will defend this as they're winning All Irelands that they never would have won but why are the rest of the counties not putting a stop to it? Is this an amateur sport or not? How can anyone compete against a professional team?

'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

easytiger95

My defence for it is in my posts, rather than your ramblings. I've been here a lot longer than you troll boy, and I'm not going anywhere.

Are you running out of emoticons?

Dont Matter

Oh you make your sheepish return, still sore after the battering you took yesterday. Any semblance of an argument to defend Dublin's cheating has been blown out of the water.

Here's an emoticon for you, it's what I do while reading your posts.

Peter Quinn

johnneycool

The success of Dublin hurling hasn't come out of nowhere if you'd been following hurling at all.

For the better part of a decade now they've been competitive and winning at Feile, colleges (initially amalgamated), minor and U-21 and granted didn't land an AI at these levels but have got to finals on regular occurrences, getting beat by Galway in U-21 down in Thurles a few years back and beaten in AI minor finals as well.

Dont Matter

Quote from: johnneycool on April 14, 2014, 01:13:57 PM
The success of Dublin hurling hasn't come out of nowhere if you'd been following hurling at all.

For the better part of a decade now they've been competitive and winning at Feile, colleges (initially amalgamated), minor and U-21 and granted didn't land an AI at these levels but have got to finals on regular occurrences, getting beat by Galway in U-21 down in Thurles a few years back and beaten in AI minor finals as well.

Have you read this thread? That's exactly what I said, they received games development funds to invest in underage hurling and they seen improvments all the way up the grades and eventually to senior. I think your "for the best part of the decade" fits with the timescale of this table:

Peter Quinn

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Dont Matter on April 14, 2014, 01:21:32 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on April 14, 2014, 01:13:57 PM

Have you read this thread? That's exactly what I said, they received games development funds to invest in underage hurling and they seen improvments all the way up the grades and eventually to senior. I think your "for the best part of the decade" fits with the timescale of this table:

so roughly a grand each county per head capita, seems pretty fair by my reckoning!

Dont Matter

Quote from: Johnnybegood on April 14, 2014, 04:36:52 PM
so roughly a grand each county per head capita, seems pretty fair by my reckoning!

What does this mean? It's befusilating.
Peter Quinn

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Dont Matter on April 14, 2014, 05:45:26 PM
Quote from: Johnnybegood on April 14, 2014, 04:36:52 PM

What does this mean? It's befusilating.
dunno what does 'it's befusilating!' mean?

From the Bunker

In the table who is the second highest and who is the lowest?

Dont Matter

It changes most years. Derry got the 2nd highest for about 3 or 4 of the years. A lot of the time bottom spot was shared by a few counties. Actually there's a mistake in my table, last year the bottom was 35,920 and Mayo got that. I don't include teams like London or New York, London only got 3,000 last year.
Peter Quinn

Jinxy

I'd much prefer for Kildare's Leinster Championship games to be played in provincial grounds. Croke Park has lost all its novelty for me. The atmosphere at those double headers in Croke Park is always dead. There's never more than about 15,000 in for the first match and you spend all of the latter stages out of your seat as the crowd coming in for the second match try to get past you to get to their seats.

Kildare v Westmeath/Louth on 8 June is scheduled for Croke Park which is ridiculous. Tullamore, Portlaoise and Navan are perfect venues for these types of games. The improvements in the road network mean you can be at most other towns in Leinster within an hour or two. Better still enter into home/away agreements for first round and quarter final ties with these counties. The only opposition that Kildare should be brought to Croke Park for is Dublin. We played Meath in Navan a few years ago and there was an electric atmosphere at it.

Yeah, that was a Saturday evening wasn't it?
Great buzz around the town.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

neilthemac

How could the unfair advantage Dublin currently have in terms of financial clout and funding be rectified to give a more even playing field for all counties?

Tubberman

Quote from: neilthemac on April 17, 2014, 01:10:33 PM
How could the unfair advantage Dublin currently have in terms of financial clout and funding be rectified to give a more even playing field for all counties?

All sponsorship money from each county could go into a central fund which could then be split evenly among the counties?
I'm not sure how that/if would impact the sponsors, they would still want to sponsor Dublin because their logo would still be on the shirts etc
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."