Playing at home for the rest of the Season (year)!

Started by From the Bunker, April 07, 2014, 08:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 05, 2014, 09:31:16 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on May 05, 2014, 09:09:13 PM
Mayo have won 4 of the last 5 Connacht championships.  Are they too big for the other Connacht counties?

Yes, At the moment! But Mayo's underage success has been limited over the same period and there will be a big lull hen this group come to an end!
It would be nice if they won something for all the success they have had.

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on May 05, 2014, 09:32:29 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 05, 2014, 09:31:16 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on May 05, 2014, 09:09:13 PM
Mayo have won 4 of the last 5 Connacht championships.  Are they too big for the other Connacht counties?

Yes, At the moment! But Mayo's underage success has been limited over the same period and there will be a big lull hen this group come to an end!
It would be nice if they won something for all the success they have had.

I second that emotion!

heffo

Quote from: Itchy on May 05, 2014, 09:06:44 PM
I think Don't matters accusations are brushed aside a little to easily. I'd have a few questions of my own on the finances from croke park...
1- How is money divided out to all counties. Is it proportional to amount of members, the state of development in the counties or just divide by 32.
2- A table of what counties got in 2014 & 2013 would be very interesting.
3- Don't Matter says each Dublin club has a full time paid coach on their books. Is this true? How is this funded? Certainly no such role exists in the 40 odd clubs in Cavan.
4- One thing that is for sure, Dublin get a serious advantage to play almost every game in croke park. There are probably solid financial reasons for it but it is still an advantage. Image if Tyrone had every game in Omagh, Mayo might even with an All Ireland if every game was in McHale park.
5- The crux is whether Dublin are getting disproportionate support from HQ. Most clubs in the country raised their own money through Lottos, raffles etc and built their facilities that way. Ive read a few Dublin posters imply they have a god given right to get such funding from Croke park. Could it be the GAA are putting more money into Dublin than they should in order to win over the hearts and minds of young Dubs? That might be a noble aspiration but it could also be deemed a extremely unfair advantage to Dublin.

I don't have the answers, but I'd love to hear opinions on both sides versus my questions.

Dublin's funding is from the Irish sports council - they applied under the same scheme available to every other county and indeed as other counties have finally starting applying successfully. Funding is based on the number of schools pro-rata.

There are two types of funding - Capital funding and development funding.

Dont Matter is full of sh*t - there isn't a full time coach in every club in Dublin. A large number have coaches, some of them are full time, some are part time and some have none. 50% of this cost if funded from the above and 50% from the club themselves.

From the Bunker

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 05, 2014, 08:49:39 PM
Questions;

Do Dublin fans see Croke Park as their home? Most definitely yes, sure where else could be their home?
Do Dublin gain an advantage over the Winter having home league games in Croke Park rather than Parnell Park? This has to be a yes, only natural.
Do Dublin gain an advantage playing League semi finals and finals in Croke Park?This has to be a yes, only natural.
Do Dublin gain an advantage playing all their Championship games in Croke Park? This has to be a yes, only natural.
Have Dublin became to big for the other teams in Leinster? This has to be a yes. Stats prove it, bar a blip in 2010.
Is it possible for the other counties to compete with Dublin now that they have sorted out their structures and harnessed their population? Hard to see anyone compete with them.
Is Dublin's underage success a fluke? Not by the looks of it. Good Structures, training facilities and good coaches brought in.
Is Dublin's Senior success a fluke? No! allot of ground work done, Big back up team and good youth structure coming through.
Do they see the Hill as their Terrace an theirs only or open to all fans? Most definitely yes, at last years AI allot were really put out at the amount of away fans in the Hill.
Are Dublin realy getting to much money? Now that is the question? They sure as hell could not be getting the same amount as Leitrim! As you cannot just divide the pot by 32!

As for the doomsday scenario. GAA survived the complete dominance of the Great Kerry Team of the 70's and 80's. Two late goals stopped that team from winning 9 in a row titles. That Kerry team changed the ethics of what was needed to win an AI title. Dublin County probably have done the same. They have turned things that should have been an advantage to them in the past into being an advantage to them in the future. Most of these things are so long written in stone that many GAA fans have become blinded to these advantages being advantages. And to change some of them would (going by this board alone) take allot of pushing and shoving.

Anyway back to Kerry example, they had a great group. But relatively no one come through. This Dublin team have the opposite! They could create a serious legacy and force a serious change in the set up of the game (just like that Kerry team did. But in a different way).

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/dublin-answer-6m-question-26759948.html

Michael Schmeichal

I think Don't matters accusations are brushed aside a little to easily. I'd have a few questions of my own on the finances from croke park...
1- How is money divided out to all counties. Is it proportional to amount of members, the state of development in the counties or just divide by 32.
3- Don't Matter says each Dublin club has a full time paid coach on their books. Is this true? How is this funded? Certainly no such role exists in the 40 odd clubs in Cavan.
4- One thing that is for sure, Dublin get a serious advantage to play almost every game in croke park. There are probably solid financial reasons for it but it is still an advantage. Image if Tyrone had every game in Omagh, Mayo might even with an All Ireland if every game was in McHale park.
5- The crux is whether Dublin are getting disproportionate support from HQ. Most clubs in the country raised their own money through Lottos, raffles etc and built their facilities that way. Ive read a few Dublin posters imply they have a god given right to get such funding from Croke park. Could it be the GAA are putting more money into Dublin than they should in order to win over the hearts and minds of young Dubs? That might be a noble aspiration but it could also be deemed a extremely unfair advantage to Dublin.

I don't have the answers, but I'd love to hear opinions on both sides versus my questions.

There are 92 clubs in Dublin and 35 GPO's. Only a semi retarded numpty like Don't Matter could equate this to one full time coach per club. The clubs themselves pay 50% of their GPO's wages while the DCB cover the rest. Always bear in mind when reading Don't Matter posts that he makes stuff up. Lots of stuff.

The remaining Leinster counties can vote to move Dublin out of Croke Park for Leinster CHampionship games anytime they see fit. Laois, Westmeath, Wexford etc have  have so far decided not to do so because it would hut them financially.  This hpweber doesn't stop them moaning hypocrtically about a situation of their own making.

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Michael Schmeichal on May 06, 2014, 10:38:51 AM

There are 92 clubs in Dublin and 35 GPO's. Only a semi retarded numpty like Don't Matter could equate this to one full time coach per club. The clubs themselves pay 50% of their GPO's wages while the DCB cover the rest. Always bear in mind when reading Don't Matter posts that he makes stuff up. Lots of stuff.

The remaining Leinster counties can vote to move Dublin out of Croke Park for Leinster CHampionship games anytime they see fit. Laois, Westmeath, Wexford etc have  have so far decided not to do so because it would hut them financially.  This hpweber doesn't stop them moaning hypocrtically about a situation of their own making.
and that's it pretty much in a nutshell

neilthemac

If 2/3 clubs down the country got together they could fund 50% of a full time or part time coach. Stop paying big money to the senior football or hurling manager and invest in underage and in-house coaches.

But where would the balance of the funding come from? There is no money available for other counties.

heffo

Quote from: neilthemac on May 06, 2014, 11:17:42 AM
There is no money available for other counties.

The amount of sheer ignorance & mis-information on this thread is staggering.

neilthemac

Quote from: heffo on May 06, 2014, 11:22:31 AM

Where is the money then?
Shoot. Other counties will apply.

Zulu

We pay towards a coach to go into schools over here and I'm really surprised that clubs don't come together and look to do as the Dublin clubs do. In my home county the county board used to fund a part-time coaches to go into schools and it was up to clubs to identify the coaches. The problem however, was that the money was only for part-time coaching and the clubs weren't topping this up so the quality of individual doing the coaching was invariably poor.

heffo

Quote from: neilthemac on May 06, 2014, 11:45:16 AM
Quote from: heffo on May 06, 2014, 11:22:31 AM

Where is the money then?
Shoot. Other counties will apply.

Here is one example

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/keeping-up-the-momentum-30053967.html

Why don't you do the tiniest bit of research before you post nonsense

neilthemac

I've read that before...

"Over a seven-year period almost €7m was ring-fenced from Irish Sports Council funding to develop hurling in Dublin – the Laois fraternity would salivate at the thoughts of a small portion of that. Last year, Plunkett went on national radio to debate their plight with a GAA official. Plunkett was reminded that a centre of excellence was available to aid their development. In the same breath, however, Plunkett reminded the official that the centre in question was based at Waterford IT. Not much use to the men of Laois."

heffo

Quote from: neilthemac on May 06, 2014, 11:58:56 AM
I've read that before...

"Over a seven-year period almost €7m was ring-fenced from Irish Sports Council funding to develop hurling in Dublin – the Laois fraternity would salivate at the thoughts of a small portion of that. Last year, Plunkett went on national radio to debate their plight with a GAA official. Plunkett was reminded that a centre of excellence was available to aid their development. In the same breath, however, Plunkett reminded the official that the centre in question was based at Waterford IT. Not much use to the men of Laois."

Access to the National centre of excellence for counties is entirely seperate to the funding being made available as per my post.

neilthemac

the only thing I got from that article was 7 million ring fenced for Dublin, over seven years.

You said there was funding for counties? Where do they apply?

heffo

Quote from: neilthemac on May 06, 2014, 12:03:37 PM
the only thing I got from that article was 7 million ring fenced for Dublin, over seven years.

You said there was funding for counties? Where do they apply?

I've just pointed out the inaccuracy in your post - 'There is no funding available for other counties'

Clearly counties apply to Coaching & games development in Croke park with a feasible and costed plan.

Do some research on the topic and stop posting nonsense as fact.