Car auctions.

Started by Black Card, April 07, 2014, 01:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Card

Wife's car is on the last legs, whilst investigating a new one, someone mentioned that Wilsons Car Auction in Portadown was the way to go.  Reprocessed cars, returned DLA cars etc, anyone very had any dealings, know of any pitfalls etc?

AZOffaly

I'd always be worried you'll get a bullet from some mistake identity when you're seen driving a car with a dodgy previous owner. (Obviously not talking about repossessed cards etc). I believe CAB sell cars at auction, and you don't want to have John Gilligan's old car these days!

Black Card

That wouldn't worry me it's for the wife.  :P  But seriously that never entered my mind I was more concerned with buying something that is a heap of shite and have you any comeback?

johnneycool

I went to Wilsons auctions up in Mallusk a few times and wasn't impressed with what I saw.
Thought the stock of cars were good enough, but if you're bidding for a car against a dealer then you're beat. The dealer will outbid you all the time and from what I've been told by a few car dealers after is that if they like the look of a car at an auction they'll bid it up until they secure, then send a mechanic up to give it the once over and then agree a price they're prepared to pay with the auctioneer, normally well below the bidded price. If they're buying regularly from the auction then they'll get their way.

You won't get the same courtesy but might be lucky enough to get something you like and the dealers aren't interested in.

wanderer

It is definitely worth having a look at the auctions. If you can get to England to the British Car Auctions (BCA) or other large auctions there are bargains to be had.
At the lease car auctions you are generally getting a 3 year old car with a full service history. Just do your research about how much the car is worth from a dealer and private, and make sure you understand all the fees/charges that will be added to your winning bid. Try to get there early, and see the cars you want, look over them, and try to hang around when its being started and driven to the bidding area to see/hear how its going. Finally and most importantly, don't spend more than your limit and make sure that limit has a buffer for any problems the car may have

Under Lights

Bought a 307 t'other day myself as a runaround basically. £1,500. 80,000 on it. Dealer putting it through MOT at the end of month and paying the £30 tax on it.

FermGael

Quote from: johnneycool on April 07, 2014, 02:48:40 PM
I went to Wilsons auctions up in Mallusk a few times and wasn't impressed with what I saw.
Thought the stock of cars were good enough, but if you're bidding for a car against a dealer then you're beat. The dealer will outbid you all the time and from what I've been told by a few car dealers after is that if they like the look of a car at an auction they'll bid it up until they secure, then send a mechanic up to give it the once over and then agree a price they're prepared to pay with the auctioneer, normally well below the bidded price. If they're buying regularly from the auction then they'll get their way.

You won't get the same courtesy but might be lucky enough to get something you like and the dealers aren't interested in.

Bought an 18 month mondeo through Wilsons in Portadown.
They do a fleet auction once a month.
Been driving it for just under a year and a half. Not a bother.
Returned DLA.  Got it well under market value.
As has been said remember to have a limit and check the terms and conditions of the auction.
Most charge a percentage for using cash or credit/debit cards
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

theskull1

So the commission is paid by the buyer rather than the seller?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

magpie seanie

Any advice on a similar exercise in the 26 counties? Need a car that will just do short runs but not give trouble for a year or two.

FL/MAYO

I have been looking for a car for my wife via the auctions here in Florida recently. I have come to the conclusion that the dealers are prepared to make all their money on the financing and extended warranties. There is very little been made on the actual sale price.