Nigel Dineen
19 (79.2%)
Dessie Farrell
5 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Shrewdness

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Westside on April 16, 2014, 11:14:01 PM
What changes would you make myles? I'd drop Bouchier and bring in Byrne or Hessin and let Argue take the frees. Or else bring in Galligan who is a good free taker too and offers good pace. Smith is probably pacier than McVeety for marking McCaffery but we want him free to play.

I've only seen them once in the final, the venues didn't suit me midweek. I also had to take half day from work to make the final so I'm not as well informed on this team as I was on some of the others. Yes Bouchier was poor and his frees didn't inspire confidence but maybe he is doing well in training, maybe there is a big game in him. I'm happy with the management team and I'd back whatever they think is right. The one big concern I have is no left footed free taker. If Dublin have taken notice of this, and I am sure they have, they won't have much fear of conceding frees on one side of the field. Hayes is a great prospect but is he strong enough to start the whole game? Again i defer to Peter Reilly on that one. I'd love to see Madden back in there, he has the potential to be the main man but something is not right there. Maybe its injuries or maybe he doesn't work hard enough but whatever it is I'd love to see him sort it out and because he could make a big impact on the game. The fact he took one of the sub jerseys in the final must mean he is not too far from fitness.

rodney trotter

Madden pulled the hamstring when he came on against Monaghan.  Won't be involved. O Donnell would be an asset with the left footed frees,  as there is no left foot taker in the side at present, putting more pressure on Bouchier

mylestheslasher

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 17, 2014, 08:27:49 PM
Madden pulled the hamstring when he came on against Monaghan.  Won't be involved. O Donnell would be an asset with the left footed frees,  as there is no left foot taker in the side at present, putting more pressure on Bouchier

Rodney, Madden was named as a sub the last day. Fairly sure he was togged. If he was togged and given that there are a ball of players that dont even make the bench, then surely he was there as he had made some sort of recovery from the hamstring. If you follow my logic then he must be a bit closer to full fitness by now.

rodney trotter

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 17, 2014, 10:11:55 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on April 17, 2014, 08:27:49 PM

Rodney, Madden was named as a sub the last day. Fairly sure he was togged. If he was togged and given that there are a ball of players that dont even make the bench, then surely he was there as he had made some sort of recovery from the hamstring. If you follow my logic then he must be a bit closer to full fitness by now.

From what I was told he wouldn't be involved anyway. But yeah I know what you mean. It was said that he would be out for 6 weeks. He started against Derry, but wasn't that good, work rate lets him down. Made an impact against Tyrone when came on, was only on 5 against Monaghan when the Hamstring flared.

It would be great  have him available..

Shrewdness

Best of luck to Cavan on Saturday, hope they win. Due to the passionate support of both counties, i hope it will be a Roscommon v Cavan Final. Right now, i think it would mean more to those 2 counties.

Syferus

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 17, 2014, 10:34:48 PM
Best of luck to Cavan on Saturday, hope they win. Due to the passionate support of both counties, i hope it will be a Roscommon v Cavan Final. Right now, i think it would mean more to those 2 counties.

The GAA would love it. We brought 9,000 to the 2012 final and Cavan would bring the same.

Itchy

gortnaleck

Syferus

ross4life

Our senior championship game against Leitrim is only 4 weeks away. Yes its not right to be doing fitness tests with U-21s before AI semi final however Evans has gone on record to say the senior team is the flagship & he wants the senior panel as best prepared as possible.

As for Saturday the team should be published later today. Kelly,Sweeney out. A hamstring strain for Conor Daly but expected to start along side his brother in half back line. Ultan Harney to be given a start also. Two well matched teams in what should be a high scoring exciting game. The very best of luck to the young Rossies on Saturday.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on April 18, 2014, 02:01:09 AM
Our senior championship game against Leitrim is only 4 weeks away. Yes its not right to be doing fitness tests with U-21s before AI semi final however Evans has gone on record to say the senior team is the flagship & he wants the senior panel as best prepared as possible.

As for Saturday the team should be published later today. Kelly,Sweeney out. A hamstring strain for Conor Daly but expected to start along side his brother in half back line. Ultan Harney to be given a start also. Two well matched teams in what should be a high scoring exciting game. The very best of luck to the young Rossies on Saturday.

But why would you be testing the fitness of a lad that has played an insane amount of football so far this year? Isn't that the opposite of being as prepared as possible?

To be as prepared as possible would to have a balance so that players aren't burnt out or injured in April in a season that hopefully stretches into Autumn. It's like Evans and other managers operate in a vacuum where perspective outside of what's happening in that given camp is completely lacking.

I've heard John trot out the flagship line. Get this - right now the U21s are the flagship county team and will be until their season ends. The seniors had their job done in mid-March. I'm pretty sure everyone in Roscommon would take even a shot at winning the U21 AI over beating Cavan in the league final and, really, Evans needs to accept and understand that.

A HB trio of John Mac flanked by the two Dalys will make for a hell of a lot of pace and attacking intent from that line. Ronan would probably be starting already most other years but with John Mac, his brother and Kelly and Sweeney (all in their final year, unless Sweeney has one left?) showing well converting to HB there just wasn't the room for the younger Daly. A lot of his performances at minor were stellar - that day in Tuam in 2012 remains one of the most remarkable performances I've seen by any Roscommon player. Bould old Tadgh has been inviting him to all sorts of AFL training camps in recent years too. Some stage for him to shine on.

INDIANA

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 16, 2014, 10:32:25 PM
The question on the Cavan v Dublin game I think comes down to how good Cavans defense is and how good Dublins forwards are. In my opinion if we can keep Dublin to a total of 12 points or so then we can win this game. My fear is that Dublin have a lot of advantages, many of which are down right unfair. The venue for one is a joke, a total sop to Dublin. The fact that they played their Leinster final a week before we played Ulster is also an advantage, they should be fresher and of course Dessie Farrell was able to attend the Ulster final and see what Donegal did to counter us.

My gut feeling is that despite all that, we will match Dublin at midfield and minus the creativity of Kilkenny Dublin might struggle against our defense. McVitty will surely do a man marking job on McCaffrey. Our full back line has kept McCurry and McBrearty quiet - there are hardly many better forwards at this level. If Dublin come onto us and we can turn them over and counter I think we could hit 15 points if we manage a goal.

This Cavan team really really want to win this out. I think it will be the last of our really strong U21 teams. If hunger and organisation are whats needed we have it in spades. Cavan by 1 or 2, maybe after extra time.

I cant see you keeping us to 12 points. If you do you're right you'll probably win but I cant see us scoring less then that. All our midfielders and half backs can score too. By sitting back you're essentially giving our defenders and excuse to attack. An excuse many of them don't need.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: INDIANA on April 18, 2014, 10:29:35 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 16, 2014, 10:32:25 PM
The question on the Cavan v Dublin game I think comes down to how good Cavans defense is and how good Dublins forwards are. In my opinion if we can keep Dublin to a total of 12 points or so then we can win this game. My fear is that Dublin have a lot of advantages, many of which are down right unfair. The venue for one is a joke, a total sop to Dublin. The fact that they played their Leinster final a week before we played Ulster is also an advantage, they should be fresher and of course Dessie Farrell was able to attend the Ulster final and see what Donegal did to counter us.

My gut feeling is that despite all that, we will match Dublin at midfield and minus the creativity of Kilkenny Dublin might struggle against our defense. McVitty will surely do a man marking job on McCaffrey. Our full back line has kept McCurry and McBrearty quiet - there are hardly many better forwards at this level. If Dublin come onto us and we can turn them over and counter I think we could hit 15 points if we manage a goal.

This Cavan team really really want to win this out. I think it will be the last of our really strong U21 teams. If hunger and organisation are whats needed we have it in spades. Cavan by 1 or 2, maybe after extra time.

I cant see you keeping us to 12 points. If you do you're right you'll probably win but I cant see us scoring less then that. All our midfielders and half backs can score too. By sitting back you're essentially giving our defenders and excuse to attack. An excuse many of them don't need.

You could very well be right Indiana but you did only score 15pts against Meath and I would consider us to be a better defensive unit than Meath. We will just have to see how it pans out on the day.

Rossfan

Quote from: ross4life on April 18, 2014, 02:01:09 AM

Forwards supposed to be reshuffled too but I wouldn't pay much heed to the programme numbers there.
I suspect Nigel was worried about midfield so Harney starts to try and get us an early foothold here.
Getting excited but nervous as Cork will be good.
Hopefully we're better and best wishes to all involved.

PS I wonder what sort of fitness tests were we doing that a lad got injured?

PPS Syfín - Senior is the flagship, always was, always will be. Apart from the 2 Counties involved the AI U21 final will be forgotten by the end of May - bit like the League. Mind you I still want to see us winning both.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM