Cluxton Red Card

Started by samwin08, April 02, 2014, 10:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samwin08

Mc loughlin admits attempting to "obstruct"  Cluxton's quick kick out. This was  in effect blocking the man from making a play. I think Mc Loughlin should have received a Black card.

Knockmore clubman McLoughlin said to the Examiner: "I just felt a bit of a kick. It kind of hurt.

"I ran in his way to stop him kicking the ball out quickly and I think he just retaliated.

( Horan thought the ref had a bad game )

AZOffaly

Under what rule would McLoughlin have received a black card? A yellow would probably be what he should have got according to the rules as they exist.

rosnarun

While i dont think anyone from may could object to a black/yellow card for McLoughlin
Getting his way in no way gives Cluxton the right to Kick him.
And if you like yes this is another example of the referee having a terrible game
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Hound

Quote from: rosnarun on April 02, 2014, 10:29:27 AM
While i dont think anyone from may could object to a black/yellow card for McLoughlin
And if you like yes this is another example of the referee having a terrible game
Don't think anyone said Cluxton had a right to kick him. He certainly didnt!

Albeit you can understand his frustration at the umpires not seeing the Mayo lads obstructing his kickout but seeing his kick-out! I think it was the second time O'Loughlin did it, and O'Connor did it at least twice. But again, very silly what Cluxton did, and deserved red card. The positive from a Dublin viewpoint is that refs might be more aware of it going forward and look out for it.

Preventing a quick kick out is definitely not a black card offence, but I remember Alan Brogan getting a yellow card for doing it once against an opposition keeper.

samwin08

no one is defending Cluxton's right to kick.
in my view , Mc loughlin is guilty of a cynical foul--isnt this what the Black Cards is meant  to stamp out--deiberately obstructing a player from making a play or a movement.

AZOffaly

They are meant to stamp out cynical play, yes, however the specific fouls are clearly identified. This is not one of them. You can't just give out a black card because you feel someone is being a bollix.

Cynical Behaviour Fouls
1. Deliberately pull down an opponent.
2. Deliberately trip an opponent with the hand(s), arm, leg or foot.
3. Deliberately body collide with an opponent after he has played the ball away or for the purpose of taking him out of a movement of play.
4. Threaten or to use abusive or provocative language or gestures to an opponent or a teammate.
5. Remonstrate in an aggressive manner with a Match Official.

Hound

It might get added to the black card list if Sean Cavanaugh does it next week!

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Hound on April 02, 2014, 11:49:02 AM
That will depend if the Sunday game panel go on a rant about it or not
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

johnneycool

Quote from: Hound on April 02, 2014, 11:49:02 AM

You'd have thought it would be there all the same, how many times do you see lads running across a lad attempting to take a free quickly?

Do keepers not need to wait on the refs whistle before they can take a kick out, not to mention players needing to be outside the 20M line?

Orior

Quote from: Hound on April 02, 2014, 10:39:10 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on April 02, 2014, 10:29:27 AM
Don't think anyone said Cluxton had a right to kick him. He certainly didnt!

Albeit you can understand his frustration at the umpires not seeing the Mayo lads obstructing his kickout but seeing his kick-out! I think it was the second time O'Loughlin did it, and O'Connor did it at least twice. But again, very silly what Cluxton did, and deserved red card. The positive from a Dublin viewpoint is that refs might be more aware of it going forward and look out for it.

Preventing a quick kick out is definitely not a black card offence, but I remember Alan Brogan getting a yellow card for doing it once against an opposition keeper.

Thank you for that clarification.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Zulu

Can't understand why the punishment as proposed by the FRC for obstructing a free wasn't passed, it would have made a huge difference to the game. Obstructing kick outs, frees and sidelines is both cynical and a blight on the spectacle and should be punished more severely IMO.

Jinxy

Calling it 'a blight' is a bit strong.
Can't say I've ever really noticed it happening that much.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Zulu

Ah Jinxy, it happens very regularly to be fair, maybe not so much on the kick outs but on frees certainly.

screenexile

Frees that are blocked from being taken quickly should be moved 14 yards so it's up the ref's to enforce that.

Blocking a kickout from being taken quickly well I'm not sure if it's a yellow card offence but it should be!

Either way Cluxton kicked out so the red was correct but McLoughlin should also have gotten a yellow!

Zulu

It should be moved up to the 14 yard line of the opposition goal. If that was done then it would stop for good. Bringing it 14 yards up is no deterrent.