Maigh Eo v Doire, Pairc An Chrócaigh, De Domhnaigh 13ú Aibreain, 1400

Started by macdanger2, April 01, 2014, 10:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

babarino

Happy to see Derry do well and I'd love to see them do a job on the Dubs. One downside is the Derry fellas working in the media go into overdrive. Paddy Heaney's Derry fanzine article in today's Irish News went off on one about the ref. With the blinkers off you'd see that Doherty went at O'Shea recklessly and whatever about the first yellow, the 2nd was deserved. It's not as if he'd cry injustice if it had been Dick Clerkin sent off for the same thing.

Estimator

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 14, 2014, 07:22:08 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 14, 2014, 12:01:38 PM
That win for Derry reminds me a bit of us against Cork in the 1/4 final in 2011. Since that game we have been a top team while Cork went into decline. I hope that doesn't happen us now.

I predict a major change in tactics for us. Since the tackle is now apparently obsolete (although the ref in the Dublin game did allow a physical game) the only way to prevent goals will be to pull 12/13 men back in front of the goal. Fans might think high-scoring shootouts are great but managers won't.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing yesterday. You know the joy Derry are feeling. We had it in 2011 and 2012 beating Cork and Dublin (and even Kerry in the League semi final). Yeah, yesterday Horan looked like Counihan looked in 2011 a team on the road a few year listening to the same spin from the same manager. Because we are still a decent side I have a feeling this will be a slow painful death this summer.

Now rant over and in with the excuses for our display. Full back line without Barrett, Cunniffe, Cafferkey (who is the lynch pin) and Higgins (why was he not moved back instead of being taken off?) will always struggle. Jason Gibbons came in for rough treatment! Cillian was naturally a loss on the day. Varley is not up to it but is getting time as a sub, mind boggles! Yesterdays result brings the fans back to earth and expectation will be (more) realistic now! We have a couple of Months until we start the 'real' championship. It almost seems like a life time away. By the time it comes around Sunday will be a distant memory. :)
I don't understand this statement. He committed two separate black card offences in the first half. The body check on Lynn was the first. Gibbons went down with an 'injury' after the clash. The second was a haul to the ground for which he received a yellow. I thought he was dishing out the rough treatment rather than being a victim.of it.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Blowitupref

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 14, 2014, 08:35:01 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on April 14, 2014, 08:16:42 PM
Enda Varley, Andy Moran, Alan Freeman not good enough. Freeman is a coward, Andy is just not up to it anymore but has been a great servant to Mayo football, Varley , he really is just not good enough,sin e. Doc , borderline. Horan himself has brought them as far as he can.mAbsolutely nothing more to give, it's exhausted like our general tactic in play.

2015 You replace them with , Feeney, Evan Regan, put AOS on the square and let Adam Gallagher have a go. Horans replacement should be kevin MCStay .   

2014, forget it, Hyde park will be f**king nightmare , mark my words. Them horrible horrible people will be unbearable when they beat Mayo after 13 years of hurt.

You're some supporter.

It is unbelievable reading some of the negative stuff here. It's april... April!!

Your players have given you loads of hard and honest effort over the last few years. Most of the rest of us wish we had them. Support your county and have some perspective!!

No perspective with this Mayo supporter at all and he isn't the only having read the mayogaablog.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Estimator

Quote from: muppet on April 14, 2014, 09:27:35 PM
It wasn't a red card.

But it wasn't very smart for a fella who was already on a yellow card.
It was a committed challenge. A split second late. If O'Shea had bounced straight back up, I would doubt whether Hughes would have come to the same conclusion. When I player on a yellow cards starts to pull out or hold back on challenges they need to be taken off. I suppose thats why Harte normally subs those on a yellow.

muppet

Quote from: Estimator on April 14, 2014, 09:41:21 PM
It wasn't a red card.

It was a committed challenge. A split second late. If O'Shea had bounced straight back up, I would doubt whether Hughes would have come to the same conclusion. When I player on a yellow cards starts to pull out or hold back on challenges they need to be taken off. I suppose thats why Harte normally subs those on a yellow.

I thought the yellow was harsh as in the reply it was obvious he had eyes only for the ball. But it did look like a clothesline job in real time.

But blaming O'Shea for the other challenge is biased delusion.
MWWSI 2017

quiganmaster

I feel derry are being shown very little respect here, a team up from division 2 just beat one of the top 4 teams in the country with 14 men, and an average age of 23 yet mayo supporters are still not giving them any respect. You can talk all day about men having to come back to the mayo team, but derry have mckinless, McCloskey, Bradley, Kielt, bell etc all to come back to the team. And then saying the league isn't important... At the end of the day derry can only beat what's in front of them and want to win everything they are involved in. Maybe mayo should have tried yesterday... after all you's do need a win in croke park sometime soon ;)

Syferus

Quote from: quiganmaster on April 14, 2014, 10:00:21 PM
I feel derry are being shown very little respect here, a team up from division 2 just beat one of the top 4 teams in the country with 14 men, and an average age of 23 yet mayo supporters are still not giving them any respect. You can talk all day about men having to come back to the mayo team, but derry have mckinless, McCloskey, Bradley, Kielt, bell etc all to come back to the team. And then saying the league isn't important... At the end of the day derry can only beat what's in front of them and want to win everything they are involved in. Maybe mayo should have tried yesterday... after all you's do need a win in croke park sometime soon ;)

Aye, those Mayo lads are fairly arrogant yokes altogether.

Estimator

Quote from: muppet on April 14, 2014, 09:52:16 PM
Quote from: Estimator on April 14, 2014, 09:41:21 PM
It wasn't a red card.

I thought the yellow was harsh as in the reply it was obvious he had eyes only for the ball. But it dod look like a clothesline job in real time.

But blaming O'Shea for the other challenge is biased delusion.
I'm not blaming O'Shea. Like I said it was a late (by a split second) hit, he give Hughes the opportunity to dish out the second yellow.

J OGorman

This is unchartered water for us Derry folk. Part of a thread 20 pages long! We're on the rise I tell ye!

Wildweasel74

watched the O`Shea hit 6 or 7 times now, as far as i can see the ball there to be won, Doherty late but marginally and the hit is shoulder to shoulder,  i be more concerned about a player going down holding his face unless he bounced his head on the ground going down.

shawshank

Wrong, it is side to side in the rule, not shoulder to a houlder, and it was a foul, like yourself watched a number of times, and it was not side to side, a reckless tackle for an experienced player to have attempted already on a yellow. As soon as it happened I new he was fecked.

muppet

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 14, 2014, 10:14:25 PM
watched the O`Shea hit 6 or 7 times now, as far as i can see the ball there to be won, Doherty late but marginally and the hit is shoulder to shoulder,  i be more concerned about a player going down holding his face unless he bounced his head on the ground going down.

Seriously?

The ball is there to be won.
Doherty made no effort to go near the ball while O'Shea clearly played the ball.
It was shoulder to chest.
Definite yellow and unbelievably risky for a man already on a yellow.
But blame the opponent.  ::)
MWWSI 2017

macdanger2

Just watched the game again, Varley's point was savage, how come he can't do that every time??

McLoughlin & Higgins were poor. In general, the mayo lads weren't putting in the effort needed to win, not tackling back hard enough, not busting a gut the way you need to

From the Bunker

Quote from: quiganmaster on April 14, 2014, 10:00:21 PM

We've had more wins in Croke Park in the last ten years than ye boys have had in a lifetime!  :D