Maigh Eo v Doire, Pairc An Chrócaigh, De Domhnaigh 13ú Aibreain, 1400

Started by macdanger2, April 01, 2014, 10:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Quote from: INDIANA on April 14, 2014, 07:10:34 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 14, 2014, 06:45:48 PM
This whole 'leader' craic is a fallacy! Can have loads of great leaders but not worth a sihte if you don't have a good team, game plan ( to suit the team and players) and good mgt

The best teams will end up having a few marquee players ( effectively leaders) but not the other way around
Try creating a winning team with a handful ( or loads) of leaders....
IMO anyway

Hard luck yesterday mayo. I think the new rules have set you back a wee bit but you have talented big squad so a better team selection and some natural defenders ( or three man midfield alignment ) may go a long way to solving this problem

Whatever about the league final - I'm more wary of those cute Donegal hoors lying in wait for us in the championship first round.

Derry might need e Bradley yet if we exp injuries like in prev years!
Hope not - but we've been fierce unlucky with them

Its not a fallacy at all. Mayo have plenty of good players but no leaders. A leader is a guy who plays his best on a regular basis when the shit hits the fan. Mayo have very few in this category.

Lessons in leadership were provided by MDMA and Connolly for Dublin yesterday. Neither had spectacular first halves by any stretch but were awesome in the last 25 minutes. Anyone can start a game and play well only the very best can reverse a game going away from them.

You can't be a leader without the talent though. You can be talented player and not a leader, however you can't be a leader without being a very talented player. Connolly is possibly the most technically complete footballer in Ireland while McAuley has been amongst the best midfielders in the country for a few years now, currently he is the best. I'm not sure many Mayo players had that level to push on to when the need was greatest. Keegan, Boyle, Cafferky, Vaughan & O'Shea all had good games in many ways, Gibbons was excellent. Moran and Sweeney showed well at times but the rest of the forwards were largely poor yet Mayo still scored 1-16. Put Connolly, O'Gara and Brogan (either of them) into the Mayo team yesterday and they'd have won.

ross4life

This whole 'leader' craic is a fallacy! Can have loads of great leaders but not worth a sihte if you don't have a good team, game plan ( to suit the team and players) and good mgt

The best teams will end up having a few marquee players ( effectively leaders) but not the other way around
IMO anyway

Hard luck yesterday mayo. I think the new rules have set you back a wee bit but you have talented big squad so a better team selection and some natural defenders ( or three man midfield alignment ) may go a long way to solving this problem

Whatever about the league final - I'm more wary of those cute Donegal hoors lying in wait for us in the championship first round.

Its not a fallacy at all. Mayo have plenty of good players but no leaders. A leader is a guy who plays his best on a regular basis when the shit hits the fan. Mayo have very few in this category.

Lessons in leadership were provided by MDMA and Connolly for Dublin yesterday. Neither had spectacular first halves by any stretch but were awesome in the last 25 minutes. Anyone can start a game and play well only the very best can reverse a game going away from them.

Agreed INDIANA, not sure how anyone can think leaders is fallacy. Leadership needed on and off the field no top successful side that doesn't have them. Andy Moran was certainly one but he hasn't  been the same player since his injury.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

macdanger2

Congrats to Derry, good win for ye.

I thought we looked somewhat disinterested yesterday when the game was there to be won. Was it because we're training to peak in Aug / Sept?? Or because there are too many miles on the clock?? Hopefully the former.... That game will be meaningless if we come good in the summer, a lot of work to be done before then though.

Overall, I thought the first game lacked the intensity of the second and I can't see Derry beating Dublin, hope I'm wrong though.

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on April 14, 2014, 07:33:17 PM

IMO anyway

You can't be a leader without the talent though. You can be talented player and not a leader, however you can't be a leader without being a very talented player. Connolly is possibly the most technically complete footballer in Ireland while McAuley has been amongst the best midfielders in the country for a few years now, currently he is the best. I'm not sure many Mayo players had that level to push on to when the need was greatest. Keegan, Boyle, Cafferky, Vaughan & O'Shea all had good games in many ways, Gibbons was excellent. Moran and Sweeney showed well at times but the rest of the forwards were largely poor yet Mayo still scored 1-16. Put Connolly, O'Gara and Brogan (either of them) into the Mayo team yesterday and they'd have won.

MDMA is not technically a good footballer at all.  His biggest asset is his ability to run and link the play. But he's always there when the game is in the melting pot.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: INDIANA on April 14, 2014, 08:02:11 PM
Quote from: Zulu on April 14, 2014, 07:33:17 PM

IMO anyway

MDMA is not technically a good footballer at all.  His biggest asset is his ability to run and link the play. But he's always there when the game is in the melting pot.

Did he score a point off his left yesterday or is my memory playing tricks on me? Could be confusing him for O'Gara who clipped a lovely one over with his left. A couple of years ago O'Gara couldn't/wouldn't have taken that one on with his right, some development. McAuley is the beating heart of that Dublin side. His head wasn't really in the game in the first half but he and Dublin were a changed animal after the break. Great lesson for Cork to get, thought they were better than they are, should help to concentrate minds before/during big championship games this summer.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

larryin89

Enda Varley, Andy Moran, Alan Freeman not good enough. Freeman is a coward, Andy is just not up to it anymore but has been a great servant to Mayo football, Varley , he really is just not good enough,sin e. Doc , borderline. Horan himself has brought them as far as he can.mAbsolutely nothing more to give, it's exhausted like our general tactic in play.

2015 You replace them with , Feeney, Evan Regan, put AOS on the square and let Adam Gallagher have a go. Horans replacement should be kevin MCStay .   

2014, forget it, Hyde park will be f**king nightmare , mark my words. Them horrible horrible people will be unbearable when they beat Mayo after 13 years of hurt.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

Quote from: larryin89 on April 14, 2014, 08:16:42 PM
Enda Varley, Andy Moran, Alan Freeman not good enough. Freeman is a coward, Andy is just not up to it anymore but has been a great servant to Mayo football, Varley , he really is just not good enough,sin e. Doc , borderline. Horan himself has brought them as far as he can.mAbsolutely nothing more to give, it's exhausted like our general tactic in play.

2015 You replace them with , Feeney, Evan Regan, put AOS on the square and let Adam Gallagher have a go. Horans replacement should be kevin MCStay .   

2014, forget it, Hyde park will be f**king nightmare , mark my words. Them horrible horrible people will be unbearable when they beat Mayo after 13 years of hurt.

It's a little early for the excuses.

And Kevin McStay being stationed at the Curragh now with more responsibilities makes a senior IC job a huge ask.

To call your top-scoring forward yesterday a coward, what does that make the rest of the team?

lynchbhoy

IMO anyway

My apologies - my response to you sounded very rude when I re-read it.
I respect your point and opinion.
I disagree but that's not a problem- IMO  the leadership thing is cart before the horse and something that may have come out of that eejit mcstay's inane witterings.

But there's no denying that MDMA and Connolly as well as McMahon all raised their game until cork capitulated. IMO it's not leadership as being THE key factor, but a great team ethic that  enables leaders.
Anyhow I don't want to fall out over that with you- so apologies for the prev!

Tubberman

You're some f**king clown talking about a Mayo player like that. He's contributed far more than you ever have or will, I'm sure of that.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

imtommygunn

You're some supporter.

It is unbelievable reading some of the negative stuff here. It's april... April!!

Your players have given you loads of hard and honest effort over the last few years. Most of the rest of us wish we had them. Support your county and have some perspective!!

Wildweasel74

G lads u sore on u players, how can you call one of your own players a coward? for what exactly?? what he do different the rest didn't?

SouthDublinBro

muppet

Quote from: Tubberman on April 14, 2014, 08:30:39 PM

You're some f**king clown talking about a Mayo player like that. He's contributed far more than you ever have or will, I'm sure of that.

+1
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

It wasn't a red card.

But it wasn't very smart for a fella who was already on a yellow card.
MWWSI 2017