Maigh Eo v Doire, Pairc An Chrócaigh, De Domhnaigh 13ú Aibreain, 1400

Started by macdanger2, April 01, 2014, 10:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

babarino

Better team won - haven't seen Derry look this good in a long time.

From the Bunker

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on April 13, 2014, 03:36:34 PM
Congrats Derry, Mayo seem to be back to 2011 level.

Looked more like 2010! Well done Derry! Our race is run this year, i fear!

Chimley

Great heart shown by the Derry lads who stuck at it to the very end. On the other hand, we couldn't keep up with the pace of the game (like the Dublin match). Tired legs but we didn't look too clever this time last year either so all is not yet lost.

Throw ball

Great win for Derry. Good to see.

On the black cards I feel the referee was right on most occasions. He has to be certain that the player deliberately takes an opponent to ground. With the amount of diving it is hard for the referee to be sure. If in doubt he should not be giving a black card. The black card cannot be issued for any other forms of cynical play even if we want it to. (Except deliberate body check if course).

In relation to free and card given to McKague. I too felt it was very harsh. Hughes seemed to be giving frees and yellows for every challenge near the head. This could be a general policy.

Having watched Hughes referee many matches as a neutral I honestly believe that he is one of the better referees. Having watched a number of games this year I think the problem may be as much to do with the way they are asked to referee. Physicality does seem to be a thing of the past.

Jinxy

Quote from: Zulu on April 13, 2014, 03:34:09 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 13, 2014, 03:29:50 PM
Quote from: Zulu on April 13, 2014, 02:25:48 PM
Goal Mayo, Moran. And Fergal Doherty sent off on a second yellow from a frontal shoulder on Aidan O'Shea. Both his yellows were harsh IMO.

1-5 to 1-4 (25 minutes) Mayo lead.

Second was a definite yellow.

Not for me. It was by the book but it wasn't as he didn't line him up for it, instead he was expecting to give and get a shoulder.

Derry 2-15 Mayo 1-15 now with time up. Mayo with a free on the 14 are going for goal and get a point.

FT Derry 2-15 Mayo 1-16

If a fella is in the act of kicking and you hit him shoulder to shoulder, that's fine.
Worst case scenario, he gets a bit winded.
If he's in the act of kicking, and you catch him in the chest, the risk of injuring him is much higher.
His head can snap forward and catch the tacklers shoulder, or he can land heavily causing his head to snap back and impact with the ground.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Captain Obvious

Well done to Derry fine win with 14 men for all of the second half against the All Ireland finalist. The All Ireland champions getting well beaten at the moment, another hangover year for the defending champions?

squire_in_navy_slacks

Well done Derry..............Cork will be a different beast though

From the Bunker

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on April 13, 2014, 04:29:54 PM
Well done Derry..............Cork will be a different beast though

Hold yer horses, there's goals in Dublin yet!

screenexile

Jesus there's a statement of intent if ever I saw one! Back to back on thr cards I think!!!

GalwayBayBoy

Dubs are fairly impressive once they get a head of steam up alright. 2-13 to 0-4 in the 2nd half.

BennyCake

J OGorman

Great result and some shift from all involved.

Few points I took from the match.

Mayo are a fierce cynical team. Foul after foul. Big Oshea holding the face, all very Tyrone esquire ;-)
Hughs is very inconsistent as a ref.
Our running game was of the highest order when needed going down to 14. In saying that, when we were at 15 with big Emmet and oboyle on the square,  the ball wasn't going in quick enough.
McKaigue was brilliant again marshalling the  defence

PS. screen, Lynn has been one of our top performers in recent years. Always puts in a huge shift and takes the game to the opposition.

Roll on the final. Great season so far

thebuzz

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 13, 2014, 05:33:25 PM
Dubs are fairly impressive once they get a head of steam up alright. 2-13 to 0-4 in the 2nd half.

The game was just starting to change when Brogan came on but then they took off altogether. I'd be happy if we were competitive in the final.