Armagh to down Donegal or depend on Down downing Laois down in Laois to stay up

Started by T Fearon, March 31, 2014, 07:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

friend

Couldn't understand all the changes before the throw in either. Put that down to poor management not knowing what they are at as most of those who didn't start actually finished the game. Hope the big number of changes from those listed to start in the programme doesn't lead to a fine from croke park for the county board.

As for players not making cut from all ireland teams at U21 and minor grades think Andy Mallon Ciaran mc keeper and Aaron Kernan have had distinguished careers especially Aaron Kernan who has ever medal bar an all ireland senior championship at inter county level. Thought he was excellent in the first half not only with his play but directing others around him. Hope he gets full match fitness back soon. Of the minor players I would start all three of the minor full forward line of tanker mc parland and mc very for armagh in their positions the day they they won their title. Three confident c**k two footed players who have done it all against the Kerry's mayos and dublin sand have no fear of these teams. Would have a half forward line of soupy, Jamie and Carolann rafferty. Not a bad forward line out. Also think highly of young James Morgan hope he is fit soon shades of a skilful Francine bellwether in him who holds no fear of players such as the gooch. This is what geezer should be working on with a half back line of Andy  Aaron and Ciaran. Midfield from Harold raffle ratty and find on with full back line of Morgan toner and Murray. Leaves plenty of choice for experienced subs of Vernon t Kernan livery forker and others. It's up to the new manager but the talented players are there

BennyCake

Carolann Rafferty and Francine Bellwether? It's bad but we don't need to bring in a few women just yet!!  ;D

BennyCake

armaghniac

Quote from: Orior on April 06, 2014, 10:48:07 PM
I still think what Tony McEntee did with Tony Kernan, Jamie Clarke and 13 ordinary players was extraordinary.

Imagine what McEntee could do with 15 ordinary county players.

Tony was sitting near me today, with SK, but not quite near enough to hear his comments on events, he is not given to excessive vocalisation.

Today was one of Armagh's lowest scores, against a packed defence. I can only fear at this stage that the game against Cavan will be the same pattern. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

friend

Don't knock our women. Look at the men's teams in comparison to how our ladies teams are going at the minute. We are the poor relations in terms of winning matches at the minute.

friend

PJ mc Grane as you call him is still very active providing many of the players we were watching today through the county academy scheme.

BennyCake

Quote from: friend on April 06, 2014, 11:24:07 PM
PJ mc Grane as you call him is still very active providing many of the players we were watching today through the county academy scheme.

It's not just me who refers to him as PJ McGrane.

friend

Nearly at the stage where we need Tommy Lynch, Peter Makem, Joseph Canning and Gerry O Neill once again. Article about these guys in the Irish News a couple of weeks back talking about the early 1970s. Hope we are not heading back in this direction.

orangeman

Sadly despite protestations to the contrary, the performance that night in Omagh in the Mc Kenna Cup was not an aberration.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

friend

Agreed but it started before then. The idea of the team doing a thirty minute warm up in the heat of salt hill last year prior to the Galway game  still gets to me. The temperature at four o'clock that day was 34 degrees in the stadium and our team spent half an hour in tortuous heat doing a nonsensnseical warm up. Galway took to the pitch for a two minute warm up and retreated to the changing room to get out of the sun. Our guys stood around baking in bright orange jerseys waiting for the match to start. When game started we were two yards off the pace and when the game was coming to its inevitable conclusion we were out on our feet and five yards off the pace. This was the time for management change not waiting until now or worse still to the end of the season.

BennyCake

Quote from: ONeill on April 06, 2014, 11:54:25 PM
Armagh should be made to qualify for the Ulster Championship.

Isn't that what Tyrone are trying to do against Down in a few weeks?

Throw ball

Quote from: friend on April 06, 2014, 10:59:14 PM
Couldn't understand all the changes before the throw in either. Put that down to poor management not knowing what they are at as most of those who didn't start actually finished the game. Hope the big number of changes from those listed to start in the programme doesn't lead to a fine from croke park for the county board.

As for players not making cut from all ireland teams at U21 and minor grades think Andy Mallon Ciaran mc keeper and Aaron Kernan have had distinguished careers especially Aaron Kernan who has ever medal bar an all ireland senior championship at inter county level. Thought he was excellent in the first half not only with his play but directing others around him. Hope he gets full match fitness back soon. Of the minor players I would start all three of the minor full forward line of tanker mc parland and mc very for armagh in their positions the day they they won their title. Three confident c**k two footed players who have done it all against the Kerry's mayos and dublin sand have no fear of these teams. Would have a half forward line of soupy, Jamie and Carolann rafferty. Not a bad forward line out. Also think highly of young James Morgan hope he is fit soon shades of a skilful Francine bellwether in him who holds no fear of players such as the gooch. This is what geezer should be working on with a half back line of Andy  Aaron and Ciaran. Midfield from Harold raffle ratty and find on with full back line of Morgan toner and Murray. Leaves plenty of choice for experienced subs of Vernon t Kernan livery forker and others. It's up to the new manager but the talented players are there

If you have watched Armagh at all over the last couple of years you would not dream of putting Toner at full back.

Given the injuries the jury on management is out. Wait until the championship is over and unless there is a major improvement the manager will probably be different next year.

Black Card

Quote from: friend on April 06, 2014, 10:59:14 PM

Think that was called supposed tactics.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on April 06, 2014, 10:42:55 PM
It's not just Grimley's fault.The current Armagh team should be largely an efficient mix of the 2004 and 2009 All Ireland u21 and minor winning sides,but there has been a systematic failure to manage the progression of both squads into top class senior players.

I would argue that not one player from either squad has truly fulfilled their potential consistently at senior level.

Another thing,what was the big deal with the five or six changes immediately prior to throw in? I mean Donegal weren't likely to be thrown off by drafting in the likes of Moriarity and Vernon?
It's a lot harder that it looks, Tony
Underage success often means nothing at senior level.

Armagh have beaten 4 teams in the last year. Wicklow, Meath , Laois , Leitrim
They have lost to Galway *2, Cavan, Down, Donegal, Monaghan

They need to have a hard look at themselves.
On the positive side, Syferus will not be in the d3 thread next year.