Armagh to down Donegal or depend on Down downing Laois down in Laois to stay up

Started by T Fearon, March 31, 2014, 07:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Card

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 06, 2014, 07:42:00 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on April 06, 2014, 06:52:32 PM
Three out of four home games lost and you could make a reasonable case for both Louth and Meath squandering commanding leads against Armagh.Reasons to be cheerful? None
At least you have a big(ish) TV.

A lad beside me announced that he had a bigger TV in his living room, to be fair I would believe him.  :D

T Fearon

Couldn't help looking at a bemused Mc Geeney on the sidelines today. If ever a managerial career went so quickly into meltdown. :-X

orangeman

Quote from: T Fearon on April 06, 2014, 09:16:08 PM
Couldn't help looking at a bemused Mc Geeney on the sidelines today. If ever a managerial career went so quickly into meltdown. :-X

And Jason Ryan's team went the wrong road too.

friend

Time to put the great debate to bed. Joe Kernan got very little credit for what he achieved as Armagh manager, everyone outside of south armagh said it was all down to Paul Grimley. Even Paddy O Rourke achieved more with Armagh. Time for Big Paul to hold his hands up and say that he gave it his best. Maybe time for Big Joe to take over again and to have Geezer as his number two as it seemed from being at the last couple of games that neither Geezer  nor Big Paul were even communicating with each other. Bring back Big Joe at least the players will be given a system of play. Haven't seen much sigh of a system for two years now. All out attacking football with all 15 players inside our own 50 yard line, come on who is trying to kid who.

bring back BIG JOE.

orangeman

Quote from: friend on April 06, 2014, 09:37:38 PM
Time to put the great debate to bed. Joe Kernan got very little credit for what he achieved as Armagh manager, everyone outside of south armagh said it was all down to Paul Grimley. Even Paddy O Rourke achieved more with Armagh. Time for Big Paul to hold his hands up and say that he gave it his best. Maybe time for Big Joe to take over again and to have Geezer as his number two as it seemed from being at the last couple of games that neither Geezer  nor Big Paul were even communicating with each other. Bring back Big Joe at least the players will be given a system of play. Haven't seen much sigh of a system for two years now. All out attacking football with all 15 players inside our own 50 yard line, come on who is trying to kid who.

bring back BIG JOE.

This could be a 100 pager.

friend

All we need is the county board to grow some balls and say Paul thanks you tried your best now it's time to move on. Even the crowd at the game today had given up. When the players came out for the second half it was if we were in division three already and only a handful of people cheered. Terrible atmosphere. Won't do much for county finances or sponsors to see us in div 3 with small numbers at the games. Need a good run in the championship to get the crowd coming back and to attract them back next year. big Joe to lend his experience to put a sound footing in place for geezer. They may have their differences and may never kiss and make up but they are both solid armagh men at HEART.

tommysmith

Quote from: friend on April 06, 2014, 09:49:14 PM
All we need is the county board to grow some balls and say Paul thanks you tried your best now it's time to move on. Even the crowd at the game today had given up. When the players came out for the second half it was if we were in division three already and only a handful of people cheered. Terrible atmosphere. Won't do much for county finances or sponsors to see us in div 3 with small numbers at the games. Need a good run in the championship to get the crowd coming back and to attract them back next year. big Joe to lend his experience to put a sound footing in place for geezer. They may have their differences and may never kiss and make up but they are both solid armagh men at HEART.

McGeeney has manged in Kildare for a good few years why would he need someone to hold his hand would he not be fit to do it on his own?

Dont Matter

Again the toss up helped decide a Laois game today, but in our favour on this occasion. We were able to build up a big lead and could slow it down in the second half and catch them on the counter. We would have won by far more only our full back gave away a penalty getting send off in the process.
Maybe Down knew they couldn't get promoted but they weren't as good as I've seen them in previous years. Might be missing a few I don't know. Armagh down to division 3 I see, McKeever will probably be retired by the time we get to play against him again. Billy will miss him.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

orange

Cross brought joe back and he lasted 1 season, he won't be back, end off! Paul took the job when there wasnt a big queue,  he has earned the right to finish the year, he has said geezer will take over next year! He will start the rebuilding.
But we need to remember the clubs have a huge responsibility to armagh football! Not enough clubs are putting in enough work to bring talented players through. Crossmaglen are ahead of the rest.
Also I would ask what schools are doing, st pats havent had a decent mcrory team in years, they have boys for 7 years and cant produce anything!
Sadly the decline didnt start this year or last, this has been coming and we as a county have stood back and watched it happen. Maybe things have to get worse to fet better, weve been here before and came back stronger! Next step Cavan, which I firmly believe we can win! Roll on the 1st round in athletic grounds, and on that day we need to get behind the team!
Proud to be ORANGE! Ard mhacha Abu!

friend

Take your point on Geezer having managed on his own and maybe ok I agree give it to geezer now not at the end of the year. Couldn't stand to see a repeat of no system football until the end of the year, that would entirely destroy armagh. Time to develop the system over the next six weeks and get them to stick to it. Our present system has been in place for two years now. I know the system may not be obvious to the fans but is it obvious to the players. Playing all out attacking football with all of you own players inside your own 50 yard line  only works in training with a set of temporary moveable nets in training. Maybe it's time to try and move that extra 90 yards to that second set of nets at the opposite end of the pitch.

BennyCake

Cavan will beat us next month. We are a shambles. I don't mind losing but today we were atrocious. No plan, no ideas, no nahin. We deserve to be in division 3.

friend

Had a heart attack watching armagh v dublin 5/07/2003 but result was worth it.cant even get an angina pain watching armagh these days. Oh to be in a match with a chance of winning and to be competing coming to the end of a game as per Sligo as per Dublin as per Kerry and Tyrone games all those years ago. The joy of a tight match with the crowd cheering us over that winning line and basking in the joy of a handsome one point win. Bring it on now , don't need to give Big Paul any more time. Give Geezer the reigns now.

T Fearon

It's not just Grimley's fault.The current Armagh team should be largely an efficient mix of the 2004 and 2009 All Ireland u21 and minor winning sides,but there has been a systematic failure to manage the progression of both squads into top class senior players.

I would argue that not one player from either squad has truly fulfilled their potential consistently at senior level.

Another thing,what was the big deal with the five or six changes immediately prior to throw in? I mean Donegal weren't likely to be thrown off by drafting in the likes of Moriarity and Vernon?

Orior

I still think what Tony McEntee did with Tony Kernan, Jamie Clarke and 13 ordinary players was extraordinary.

Imagine what McEntee could do with 15 ordinary county players.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on April 06, 2014, 10:42:55 PM
It's not just Grimley's fault.The current Armagh team should be largely an efficient mix of the 2004 and 2009 All Ireland u21 and minor winning sides,but there has been a systematic failure to manage the progression of both squads into top class senior players.

I would argue that not one player from either squad has truly fulfilled their potential consistently at senior level.

Another thing,what was the big deal with the five or six changes immediately prior to throw in? I mean Donegal weren't likely to be thrown off by drafting in the likes of Moriarity and Vernon?

Aaron Kernan probably the only one, T.

We brought on Ethan R at FF, but we continued to carry the ball through a Donegal wall of players. That's been the same all year. This was our 7th league game, and I'd like to have thought we were gelling and getting our gameplan perfected for the c'ship. But we are no more ready for the c'ship than we were in January. Cavan will beat us easily. Again.