GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

Quote from: thejuice on August 29, 2016, 09:31:45 PM
Bumping this up again as this season is winding down.

Any indication of a growing interest in GAA within Britain as we were told was the main purpose of this little venture. I live in the UK and I can't see any evidence myself but I havent looked under every rock and behind every door.

I'm the PRO for Lancashjre GAA. I haven't really noticed it, but I coach GAA in my school and a major helping hand was telling the kids the GAA was on certain days to tune in. Our CDA , who is paid in full time position as a coach, says there has been a bit of interest. I'm not certain if anyone in British Provincial or indeed Croke Park is doing an Indepth look at the effects. It would be good if they did.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Rossfan on August 29, 2016, 10:57:38 PM
Quote from: trileacman on August 29, 2016, 10:18:33 PM
it's an absolute pleasure to avoid the shite talk of Ger Canning, Pat Spillane and Brolly. f**k it actually makes my day to hear some positive contributions at half-time.
+1.

+2

No agendas no sweeping statements no soundbytes no state of the nation addresses just reasonable analysis and the occasional insight.
#newbridgeornowhere

thejuice

Quote from: Jinxy on August 29, 2016, 10:38:58 PM
Quote from: thejuice on August 29, 2016, 09:31:45 PM
Bumping this up again as this season is winding down.

Any indication of a growing interest in GAA within Britain as we were told was the main purpose of this little venture. I live in the UK and I can't see any evidence myself but I havent looked under every rock and behind every door.

We're not being bombarded with reports of the British 'reaction' on Twitter anymore either.
"Cor blimey, it's like a cross between quidditch and volleyball guv'nor! (Fackin paddies)."

That's the thing, now the the novelty factor has worn off, I guess we are back to mainly the diaspora paying for it through Sky rather than GAAGO which I would be happier doing. I understand the argument about improving standards of presentation and analysis but that can't be the only factor in going with sky. Sure there is also the £€ factor for the GAA but if the viewing figures are shite it's not going to last.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

yellowcard

Reading this thread would make you wonder does anyone actually watch the matches on RTE at all. Now I know that RTE are far from perfect but I'd still prefer to watch the match with the national broadcaster than with Sky television. Most people just want entertainment, they aren't that overly interested in a forensic examination of the match itself. It would be interesting to see the actual viewing figures anyway. 

Rossfan

I watch the action on RTÈ and switch to Sky if I watch at half time.
I prefer to have someone tell me how/why one team is doing  better than the other etc than Brolly/ Spillane boloxology.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

vallankumous

For a pub to get sky sports it pays relevant to it's rates (in the north).
For an average size pub this could cost £600 per year.

Publicans are caught in a difficult place here.
For a small town with 4 pubs SKY could be taking in up to £2000 a year while the pubs fight to get customers to justify this.
If one pub isn't getting the return they stop the service and will never get that trade back. f they all take the service they are splitting a very small customer base. It's not sky paying for the rights it's local business owners and they are losing out big time on this.

Jinxy

Quote from: Rossfan on August 30, 2016, 11:27:10 AM
I prefer to have someone tell me how/why one team is doing  better than the other etc than Brolly/ Spillane boloxology.

I watch the match on RTE but mute the commentary and listen to the radio.
Then I switch to Sky for the half-time analysis, but I face away from the screen unless Rachel is on.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Jeepers Creepers

The adventures of shark boy and lava boy in HD on RTE 2 today, Incase anyone wants a break from the grainy images of the AI hurling Final on RTE 1

Jinxy

One thing's for sure, shark boy won't fear lava boy.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

bennydorano

Can't get RTE 1 in HD in the black north (why is that when RTE 2 is available in HD?), so i've been doing most of my viewing on Sky. Martin Carney is god awful as well. Still flick back to hear the shite talk and outrage.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: bennydorano on September 04, 2016, 01:01:02 PM
Can't get RTE 1 in HD in the black north (why is that when RTE 2 is available in HD?), so i've been doing most of my viewing on Sky. Martin Carney is god awful as well. Still flick back to hear the shite talk and outrage.

Get yourself a Samsung or Panasonic Benny - they have Saorview which includes RTE1 HD.

armaghniac

RTE 1 on Saorview is HD.  RTE on the NI transmitters is not HD,  as far as I know.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Applesisapples

The RTE 1 on the Sky Box is SD Saorview it is HD. That said HD is not a good enough reason to watch the Sunday Game.

johnneycool

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on September 04, 2016, 03:02:04 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on September 04, 2016, 01:01:02 PM

Get yourself a Samsung or Panasonic Benny - they have Saorview which includes RTE1 HD.

I can pick up both, RTE1 HD, RTE2 HD, TV3 and so forth from Claremont Carn and also RTE1, RTE2 and TG4 in SD from Divis.

I got this spiel from the Saorview website;

Transmitter

Search result:

We're sorry. SAORVIEW coverage is a challenge in your area. Please consult a reputable aerial installer for further information and advice. Although SAORVIEW cannot reach all locations, viewers in the Republic of Ireland are likely to be covered by the SAORSAT satellite in-fill solution. For up to date information please check www.saorsat.ie

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Jinxy on August 30, 2016, 12:49:14 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 30, 2016, 11:27:10 AM

I watch the match on RTE but mute the commentary and listen to the radio.
Then I switch to Sky for the half-time analysis, but I face away from the screen unless Rachel is on.

Time delay makes that a non runner for me.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...