Previous topic - Next topic

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: Main Street on July 09, 2014, 09:54:10 AM
Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on July 08, 2014, 04:25:22 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 07, 2014, 04:22:17 PM
Sky: Tipp v Galway ave viewers 34,000 share 2.8%
RTE: Clare v Wexford ave viewers 203,000 share 25%
RTE: Dublin v Kilkenny ave viewers 385,000 share 36%

Its early days for SKY...same as when they took on soccer in the 90s. It will grow but the real benefit will be that BBC, RTE will all have to up their games....the standard of broadcasting of GAA is appalling, (with BBC its the poor camera work and lack of insight...adn RTE is the absolutely redundant analysis) - Sky should force them all to get better...

not wanting to antagonise a Galway man but are the other 2 games possibly "better" match ups?
That's a theory.  Were TV3  not providing competition and raising standards?  Are the commentators or the pundits any better on Sky than they were on TV3? Possibly now you are paying a small fortune to listen to them, you have that purchaser's stockholm syndrome? :)

TV3's coverage of their package of GAA matches, by any standards of measurement was a resounding success.
Their viewing figures were on the up and up, in 2013 they had an average of 313,000 per game.
Now Sky have that package and  we have plenty of spin to fill in the gap between 30,000 and 300,000.

TV3 wasn't available for me in Belfast, so SKY is a better option regardless - even though I hate Murdoch, but its not about my view. SKY have a serious pedigree in sport broadcasting...much better than anything else on the island. They changed the shape of football, rugby, snooker and darts....if they can do the same with GAA is up or debate, but their presence will make RTE get their act together....its noticeable that they have already chafed the presentation of some of their stats etc...the BBC in the meantime have Thomas Kane walking into the middle of the pitch with Oisin Mconville and then back to the sideline again, which is in itself a change of tact, but hardly life changing for the viewer. Certainly awkward for the two men.

Its a hard call on audiences - TV is about content, and SKY will never have the BEST GAMES (thats another debate, i know) and so will never be able to go like-for-like with RTE in terms of share of voice etc, but it will shake it up, and the GAA and the fans should be the winners in the long term.

Once the theme tune for the Sunday Game finishes, its all down hill from there - Brolly, Spillane? I'vehad enough...
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

Zulu

Quote from: armaghniac on July 09, 2014, 12:06:05 PM
But sure while there might be 270000 less Irish watching it, what about all those British people? The GAA can't be seen to favour Irish people, except for fundraising and getting players and that kind of thing.

No you're right, Ireland is facing armageddon since Sky started showing a few matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiPUjGNTi24

BennyHarp

Quote from: armaghniac on July 09, 2014, 12:06:05 PM
But sure while there might be 270000 less Irish watching it, what about all those British people? The GAA can't be seen to favour Irish people, except for fundraising and getting players and that kind of thing.

Have you got a HD tv?
That was never a square ball!!

armaghniac

I do have a HD TV, although I'm not sure what this has to do with this thread. ???
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyHarp

Quote from: armaghniac on July 10, 2014, 10:16:11 AM
I do have a HD TV, although I'm not sure what this has to do with this thread. ???

So do most people but they wont be included in the figures for watching Sky. So i'd be a little bit wary when quoting your numbers for viewing figures.

AZOffaly

I don't think it's that you have a HDTV Benny, I think it's if you have Sky HD.

BennyHarp

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 10, 2014, 11:38:11 AM

I know - but anyone with SKY HD isnt included in the figures. Id say most people with a HD tv and sky will watch on HD?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 10, 2014, 11:55:46 AM

I know - but anyone with SKY HD isnt included in the figures. Id say most people with a HD tv and sky will watch on HD?

Its not as simple as that Benny, you have to pay extra to have the SKY HD subscription.
I have a HD TV
I have sky,
but i dont get the sky HD channels, just the free to air HD ones like BBC, RTE etc
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

BennyHarp

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on July 10, 2014, 12:05:22 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 10, 2014, 11:55:46 AM

Its not as simple as that Benny, you have to pay extra to have the SKY HD subscription.
I have a HD TV
I have sky,
but i dont get the sky HD channels, just the free to air HD ones like BBC, RTE etc

Fair enough - but i'd still say there is a significant number of people who are not being counted in these figures, alongside those who watch on catch up, Sky plus and even on Sky Go. My point is that its not as simple as saying 270000 haven't been able to watch the matches due to it being on sky.

armaghniac

No, but if these other media are comparable with Sky as counted then it is a case of 240,000 not watching it. Not hugely different.

BennyHarp

Quote from: armaghniac on July 10, 2014, 12:44:07 PM
No, but if these other media are comparable with Sky as counted then it is a case of 240,000 not watching it. Not hugely different.

Where have you got this adjusted figure from?

thewobbler

I think the naysayers need to start looking at the longer term potential of this relationship, rather than the immediate response.

Sky has 4-5 channels completely dedicated to sport. They need sport to fill those channels.

RTE can't jam much more GAA coverage onto its two channels, and certainly not live GAA.

TV3, apart from being a moribund channel, are never going to have the finances to take a punt on rolling out and leading the way on mass GAA coverage, especially when it's so much easier and (I'd guess) more profitable to syndicate rubbish reality TV from the UK.

TG4 (I imagine) would be breaking all sorts of their Irish language remits if they dramatically uplifted their focus on sport, plus they've the same financial quandary as TV3 in that they can't afford to be the ones putting fixed multi-angle transmission units in dozens of grounds, and sending rolling units around the country on big days.

So if we, as the GAA loving population, want increased GAA coverage on the box, we need to go down some sort of pay-per-view route. For the life of me I can't see how there's a better route for this than Sky TV.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: thewobbler on July 10, 2014, 02:16:43 PM
I think the naysayers need to start looking at the longer term potential of this relationship, rather than the immediate response.

Sky has 4-5 channels completely dedicated to sport. They need sport to fill those channels.

RTE can't jam much more GAA coverage onto its two channels, and certainly not live GAA.

TV3, apart from being a moribund channel, are never going to have the finances to take a punt on rolling out and leading the way on mass GAA coverage, especially when it's so much easier and (I'd guess) more profitable to syndicate rubbish reality TV from the UK.

TG4 (I imagine) would be breaking all sorts of their Irish language remits if they dramatically uplifted their focus on sport, plus they've the same financial quandary as TV3 in that they can't afford to be the ones putting fixed multi-angle transmission units in dozens of grounds, and sending rolling units around the country on big days.

So if we, as the GAA loving population, want increased GAA coverage on the box, we need to go down some sort of pay-per-view route. For the life of me I can't see how there's a better route for this than Sky TV.

Yes this
exactly this.

In the long run i expect to see an INCREASE in GAA shown live on tv, which can only be a good thing
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

armaghniac

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 10, 2014, 02:06:43 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 10, 2014, 12:44:07 PM

Where have you got this adjusted figure from?

The original calculation envisaged Sky having 30,000 viewers, if there is a similar number on these other modes then that reduces the gap by 30,000.

RTÉ has 5 channels on Saorview, now there are some regulatory restrictions on these but the GAA should lobby for these to be changed. It is not only about live GAA, many people here attend games and would also like deferred showing of games, extended highlight programmes and the like.

With UTVIreland starting the GAA should try to get these channels to feature some GAA. Some lateral thinking is needed.

Quote from: thewobbler on July 10, 2014, 02:16:43 PMTG4 (I imagine) would be breaking all sorts of their Irish language remits if they dramatically uplifted their focus on sport, plus they've the same financial quandary as TV3 in that they can't afford to be the ones putting fixed multi-angle transmission units in dozens of grounds, and sending rolling units around the country on big days.

Once again, some innovative thinking on camera pools and the like.

Zulu

So on top of everything else the Gaa should get TV stations to change government legislation and how they run their business? I'd argue the Gaa should do business with a TV company that can do the job and have the means to expand the Gaa can base rather than trying to lobby governments, lobby UTV and organise camera sharing for tg4 and rte.