GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

If Quinn is the host of the show I'd have no problem with it, as long as the analysis and commentators themselves are informed and well versed in the GAA.

AZOffaly

True. I'd see Quinn as more the face of it, the nice introduction to the game, and maybe someone that can explain the passion to the UK masses in terms they can understand. I still hoped Rachel Wyse would do it though! :)

Walter Cronc

Galvin perhaps but jeez us nordies can barely understand him nevermind those on the "mainland"!

AZOffaly

Paul Galvin? He'd be interesting, but he wouldn't exactly be a 'name' in the UK. I think Dara O'Cinneide would be good, as he is always fairly positive in his analysis. Maybe Jarlath Burns as well?

Walter Cronc

Like O'Cinneide myself. Always thought Canavan was fairly positive too.

It'll be interesting to see if Sky go OTT in their praise of the games in the way they could make a drab 0-0 soccer match appear interesting.

yellowcard

I've heard Galvin in interviews before and he would put you to sleep. He might look and act interesting but anytime I've heard him in interview it's a different story.

Jinxy

Quote from: johnneycool on May 07, 2014, 12:02:35 PM
Ach sure, he's a former Dublin minor and no stranger to Thurles for the big hurling days with his Enfer jersey on him, not sure if hes got the Skoda one yet!

More importantly, he's played junior C football in Kildare.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

rrhf

Surely Grainne or Sile Seioga would be worth looking at.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Jinxy on May 07, 2014, 02:00:35 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on May 07, 2014, 12:02:35 PM
Ach sure, he's a former Dublin minor and no stranger to Thurles for the big hurling days with his Enfer jersey on him, not sure if hes got the Skoda one yet!

More importantly, he's played junior C football in Kildare.

I'll bet he ranks playing Kildare Junior C football as his finest sporting achievement.

He was managing Eadestown's B team last year.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

rrhf

Quinn will be excellent.  Good choice by Sky. Anyone know any others.  Is it true that Dooher might be in the mix. Ciaran Whelan also has a chance here and Galvin.  I felt TG4 have already raised the bar on RTE during the league final, they had the big graphics package etc going.   

Main Street

Quote from: rrhf on May 07, 2014, 06:43:22 PM
Quinn will be excellent.  Good choice by Sky. Anyone know any others.  Is it true that Dooher might be in the mix. Ciaran Whelan also has a chance here and Galvin.  I felt TG4 have already raised the bar on RTE during the league final, they had the big graphics package etc going.   
Presenting is slanted towards style not substance and Quinn does look an excellent choice. In fact, the job is made for a guy like him.
He ticks a lot of boxes, he's recognisable all over Sky land, not just for the Irish community and Irish descendants. And he's also a well respected articulate character.  Offhand, I can't think of a better catch for SKY GAA.

Even though I'm inclined against this Sky incursion capturing the TV3 package, I want them to do a good job with the whole thing, camerawork, sound, commentary, presentation and punditry. RTE are weak in the sound department. How often do the cameras span out over Hill 16 after the Dubs score with a zillion Dubs in full voice, but the microphones pick up but a murmur. And it's not just in Croke Park, but in most every game televised, there are just not enough microphones to pick up the crowd noise as well as primitive sound editing.

BartSimpson

Quote from: rrhf on May 07, 2014, 06:15:08 PM
Surely Grainne or Sile Seioga would be worth looking at.
All day, but what's that got to do with GAA?  ;D
guwan the parish

DJGaliv

Quote from: rrhf on May 07, 2014, 06:43:22 PM

About the graphics package, has anyone seen "Shot Height" come up. Very important to give us that statistic alright

Jinxy

Who would have the highest kick of a ball in the country?
Probably the same fella who'd have the longest kick, or does physics come into it more.
If you were any use you'd be playing.