GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: rrhf on April 14, 2014, 10:23:35 PM
The constant rubbishing of our games and players from the current Rte pundits makes me on one hand think that  the gaa had to make a move to ensure an integral coverage. The sad thing is every word Joe says is right... but he must shoulder his share of the blame for the verbal trash that the panel  have produced for the last decade which became currency among all other media and critics of our games.

Jesus wept - really?
That was never a square ball!!

muppet

Quote from: rrhf on April 14, 2014, 10:23:35 PM
The constant rubbishing of our games and players from the current Rte pundits makes me on one hand think that  the gaa had to make a move to ensure an integral coverage. The sad thing is every word Joe says is right... but he must shoulder his share of the blame for the verbal trash that the panel  have produced for the last decade which became currency among all other media and critics of our games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfdxS0CvjC0
MWWSI 2017

Zulu

You can watch the meeting with Oireachtas Joint Committee now on RTE media player.

Zulu

BBC, |ITV & Channel 4 were offered but weren't interested in the TV package. C4 and ITV offered nothing while BBC only wanted Ulster games. So Sky were the only TV company interested in a deal according to Paraic Duffy.

orangeman

Well that's alright then.

GAA president Liam O'Neill said that since the deal was announced two weeks ago, nobody in his parish had said anything negative to him about it. He joked that a minor adjustment to the GAA's Scór competition had got him more flak.

seafoid

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/mayo-s-aidan-o-shea-suggests-a-levelling-of-the-playing-field-1.1763246

"{After the GAA's new television deal went public, O'Shea Tweeted the obvious benefits of Gaelic games being glammed up by Sky.
He also noted that association coffers will swell with little filtering to the most important contributors: the players.
"Can't have a professional organisation and amateur status," said Kennelly from his AFL perch.
O'Shea agreed, going a step further yesterday by envisaging a time when smaller counties will be forced to amalgamate to compete with "franchise" counties like Dublin and Kerry.
All under the banner of professionalism. "It will have to. How is it fair that you have some teams that can't compete? Eventually you can join up a couple of teams and then you have a more competitive environment.
"At the moment you have a few teams that are pissing into the wind every time they go out on the pitch. In my position as a player I don't like to be saying that about other teams but that's the reality in the sport at the moment."

They can't even keep players  in work in many of the football counties.
Ireland isn't stable enough economically to start playing players.

And who cares about permanent competitiveness ? Some day Waterford will win the hurling.
And it will be a great day. 

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

deiseach

Quote from: seafoid on April 16, 2014, 08:59:19 AM
And who cares about permanent competitiveness ? Some day Waterford will win the hurling.

Don't get my hopes up.

INDIANA

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/mayo-s-aidan-o-shea-suggests-a-levelling-of-the-playing-field-1.1763246

"{After the GAA's new television deal went public, O'Shea Tweeted the obvious benefits of Gaelic games being glammed up by Sky.
He also noted that association coffers will swell with little filtering to the most important contributors: the players.
"Can't have a professional organisation and amateur status," said Kennelly from his AFL perch.
O'Shea agreed, going a step further yesterday by envisaging a time when smaller counties will be forced to amalgamate to compete with "franchise" counties like Dublin and Kerry.
All under the banner of professionalism. "It will have to. How is it fair that you have some teams that can't compete? Eventually you can join up a couple of teams and then you have a more competitive environment.
"At the moment you have a few teams that are pissing into the wind every time they go out on the pitch. In my position as a player I don't like to be saying that about other teams but that's the reality in the sport at the moment."

He's never been the most intelligent footballer and now it's obvious why not

An embarrassement to himself and to Mayo football after those comments to be honest.

J OGorman

I agree. Counties have to strive to compete. Most counties realistically dont have a chance of landing Sam.  As far as numbers and resources, Dublin is on another planet. Kerry being a franchise? Population wise its not that much bigger than say Louth, and smaller than many other counties. You need the right people in the right jobs (footballing wise) in all counties. Donegal is the polar opposite of Dublin in regards jobs, job prospects and emmigration. But, in 2012 they had all the right people and players willing to stick at home jobless in a pursuit to achieve something great with their county. Fermanagh reaching the All-Ireland semi final not so long ago, thats a bigger achievement imo than Dublin winning say back to back titles (if they win again this year). Those Erne men will go down in history is being on the great 2004 semi-final team. In the years to come, a new batch of footballers like McGrath, Owens, Little etc could come through in Fermanagh and they could finally land an Anglo-Celt. This I'm sure would mean for more to them than Kerry say landing their umpteenth All-Ireland . All counties will have their individual goals, most don't involve courting Samuel Maguire

Bingo

Maybe O'Shea broke the first rule of GPA club - you don't talk about GPA club.  ;)

I'm sure he is just like others in the game at the minute with Sky now involved - 2+2=78.

The reality is more akin to what Kevin Cassidy was tweeting this morning about - county Mgt are calling the shots re fixtures and the clubs/club player is suffering. Seems that some fixtures most have been pulled in Donegal.

The gap between club and county is growing and talk like this from O'Shea will only further that.

sheamy

O'Shea seems like a bit of an eejit.

Hound

Quote from: Bingo on April 16, 2014, 09:59:11 AM
Maybe O'Shea broke the first rule of GPA club - you don't talk about GPA club.  ;)

I'm sure he is just like others in the game at the minute with Sky now involved - 2+2=78.

The reality is more akin to what Kevin Cassidy was tweeting this morning about - county Mgt are calling the shots re fixtures and the clubs/club player is suffering. Seems that some fixtures most have been pulled in Donegal.

The gap between club and county is growing and talk like this from O'Shea will only further that.
Players are very quick to blame the county manager and county board when they feel hard done by, but what do they do to help themselves?

It was the clubs themselves who voted to defer the county championship in Donegal. It was notified in advance that it was going to be discussed and voted on at the meeting. Members of clubs (which includes the club player of course) had every opportunity to make their views known at that time, if they'd bothered.

But they didn't, and thus gave approval to ordain Jim as King of Donegal GAA.

orangeman

Clubs have a say - at least that's what we've all been told.

Clubs can change this if they organise thesmelves and are not led by the nose.

seafoid

The Champions League is competitive - anyone who has $500 million can enter a team.
Not a chance of Notts Forest or Steaua Bucharest ever winning it again.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Bingo

Quote from: Hound on April 16, 2014, 01:09:06 PM
Quote from: Bingo on April 16, 2014, 09:59:11 AM

Players are very quick to blame the county manager and county board when they feel hard done by, but what do they do to help themselves?

It was the clubs themselves who voted to defer the county championship in Donegal. It was notified in advance that it was going to be discussed and voted on at the meeting. Members of clubs (which includes the club player of course) had every opportunity to make their views known at that time, if they'd bothered.

But they didn't, and thus gave approval to ordain Jim as King of Donegal GAA.

Donegal are one example but on the wider basis, its much more than just one county.

In this case it seems that league matches for the weekend have been pulled, not championship which has already been agreed. Donegal are in a training camp apparently till Friday. The clubs have now been told that the games at weekend involving county players are pulled unless it involves two teams who agree to play it without their county players. This is due to the clubs been told that the county team is training Saturday and Monday.

It would appear that they Jim is the king of Donegal GAA.

I'd agree that clubs will have to take firmer action and start to say no but its often the case that the number of clubs who are affected and have ambitions will be smaller than the clubs affected and these clubs will listen to the normal line of - "Do you not want the county to do well?".