GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Liam has made a bit of a mess here -

GAA president Liam O'Neill has clarified his comments about a Prime Time audience member as "a throwaway remark and not intended to cause any offence".
Speaking to The Irish Times , audience member Finbarr Dolan had earlier described the reaction of O'Neill to his views on the Sky Sports TV deal as "most derogatory, very wrong, and deeply hurtful". He said he was seeking a formal apology, and has already raised the matter with both RTÉ and the Press Ombudsman.
Dolan aired his views on the Sky deal during Tuesday night's live Prime Time broadcast, claiming that the GAA "should rebrand themselves as the Grab All Association" and that the deal itself "wasn't good for the GAA, not good for the community, and not good for the nation".
The following day, speaking at a GAA function in Croke Park, O'Neill sharply criticised RTÉ's treatment of the story stating: "I think the star of the show was Prime Time in fairness. Where they got people in the audience... where they got the character barely able to read, calling us whatever he called us. Where did they get them?"
On Friday night, O'Neill said he was being more critical of the logistics of the situation rather than questioning anyone's ability to read.
Dolan was clearly that character to whom he was referring, as he did read parts of his views from bullet points prepared during the previous item on the show.
The 60-year-old Dolan, a retired bank official from Knocklyon in South Dublin, believes he is now owed an apology.
"If it was someone else in the audience, and a bit of banter between us, saying I was barely able to read, you'd take it as tongue-in-cheek," he said. "But when it comes from a man in his position, and the biggest sporting organisation in the country, I don't find it acceptable.
"I thought it was most derogatory, very wrong, and deeply hurtful. And I would be looking for an apology. I've always held the GAA in the highest admiration. I love the GAA, I love what they do, and I'm not out to insult anyone in a derogatory manner.
"And I wouldn't expect it from a man of his stature. It was so personal, and he has no right to say that about me as a person.
"I aired my views, as an ordinary person. So there was no need for him to say that, and personalise it like that. And I've got great support from around the country, with regard to the views I stated on the night. It was my first time to speak live on television. I did refer to my notes as little as I could . . . And I never got aggressive . . ."

Ringfort

I'm in the UK. Cannot see the benefit of Sky coverage for us Brit based Gaels. As if we are suddenly able to see the match through the benevolence of the GAA and Sky! Premiersports is doing the job at the moment at 9.99 at month and cancel whenever you want like I did when Sept finished and started again in Feb for league.
A lot of lads over here are working at bits and pieces. There's ould lads who have been on the roads for 40 years. I would say most are not set up at home with Sky tv already running. The local Irish boozer is the hub for GAA coverage which has had it for years between Setanta and 'dodgy boxes', there's not many missing out between that and premiersports I'd imagine.
So who is going to benefit in the UK from this? Are regular non-Irish pubs going to fire on Monaghan v Down or whatever for lack of anything else on the telly? Are they feck-SSN and racing on as normal. Heaps of tans are not going to be converted just cos the Gah is on SS4 or wherever. And the Irish can already watch it. So the benefits are improved 'punditry' (the game is the attraction lads btw) and er.......

Syferus

Quote from: orangeman on April 05, 2014, 12:54:08 AM

GAA president Liam O'Neill has clarified his comments about a Prime Time audience member as "a throwaway remark and not intended to cause any offence".
Speaking to The Irish Times , audience member Finbarr Dolan had earlier described the reaction of O'Neill to his views on the Sky Sports TV deal as "most derogatory, very wrong, and deeply hurtful". He said he was seeking a formal apology, and has already raised the matter with both RTÉ and the Press Ombudsman.
Dolan aired his views on the Sky deal during Tuesday night's live Prime Time broadcast, claiming that the GAA "should rebrand themselves as the Grab All Association" and that the deal itself "wasn't good for the GAA, not good for the community, and not good for the nation".
The following day, speaking at a GAA function in Croke Park, O'Neill sharply criticised RTÉ's treatment of the story stating: "I think the star of the show was Prime Time in fairness. Where they got people in the audience... where they got the character barely able to read, calling us whatever he called us. Where did they get them?"
On Friday night, O'Neill said he was being more critical of the logistics of the situation rather than questioning anyone's ability to read.
Dolan was clearly that character to whom he was referring, as he did read parts of his views from bullet points prepared during the previous item on the show.
The 60-year-old Dolan, a retired bank official from Knocklyon in South Dublin, believes he is now owed an apology.
"If it was someone else in the audience, and a bit of banter between us, saying I was barely able to read, you'd take it as tongue-in-cheek," he said. "But when it comes from a man in his position, and the biggest sporting organisation in the country, I don't find it acceptable.
"I thought it was most derogatory, very wrong, and deeply hurtful. And I would be looking for an apology. I've always held the GAA in the highest admiration. I love the GAA, I love what they do, and I'm not out to insult anyone in a derogatory manner.
"And I wouldn't expect it from a man of his stature. It was so personal, and he has no right to say that about me as a person.
"I aired my views, as an ordinary person. So there was no need for him to say that, and personalise it like that. And I've got great support from around the country, with regard to the views I stated on the night. It was my first time to speak live on television. I did refer to my notes as little as I could . . . And I never got aggressive . . ."

Oh Jesus. This 'controversy' has officially jumped the shark.

sligoman2

Quote from: roney on April 04, 2014, 11:32:41 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on April 04, 2014, 10:48:56 PM
Out here in the USA, I paid $199 for the championship last year which is all games shown on tv3 and rte (I think).  The league package was $69.
The service was with premium sports / ustream.  I hope the rte /gaa deal is better otherwise they are not doing anything to expand the games in America.

Anyone know when and how We sign up for the rte/gaa package? I assume they will have single games on offer also.

Finally, someone who we are talking about for the last week finally speaks up.

Sligoman, do you feel the joy?

It's interesting you're asking about the RTE streaming service. Everyone else in the country who backed this deal assumed you'd just be setting up the Sky and away you go.

Not so?

What exactly are Irish people paying subscriptions for again? It's not for lads like sligoman.

I'm not feeling the joy unless the price is lower otherwise it's no good to me or anyone else who pays to watch the games at home on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

Ringfort says that premier sports was also available in the the uk so they already could get the games.   so the only additional viewers are the casual sky subscribers in the uk who won't know what they are looking at unless the game is explained to them.  And of course the Australians who would prefer their Aussie rules - don't get me started on that again.  Not sure about mainland Europe.

I'm all in favor of expanding our reach it's important however that we are honest about what we are doing and not trying to fool the public because there is more money to be made either now or down the road.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

armaghniac

"GAA president Liam O'Neill has clarified his comments about a Prime Time audience member as "a throwaway remark and not intended to cause any offence"." just like Callinan and his disgusting remarks.

"Where they got people in the audience... where they got the character barely able to read, calling us whatever he called us. Where did they get them?""

O'Neill should have considered that the character might have gone to a Protestant school and not be criticising his ability to read.  But then playing the man is the way of Sky supporters.  ::)

Quoteso the only additional viewers are the casual sky subscribers in the uk who won't know what they are looking at unless the game is explained to them

If Sky keep patronising viewers by explaining the bleeding obvious, their coverage will hardly be entertaining for anyone here.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Syferus

Quote from: armaghniac on April 05, 2014, 02:51:39 AM
"GAA president Liam O'Neill has clarified his comments about a Prime Time audience member as "a throwaway remark and not intended to cause any offence"." just like Callinan and his disgusting remarks.

"Where they got people in the audience... where they got the character barely able to read, calling us whatever he called us. Where did they get them?""

O'Neill should have considered that the character might have gone to a Protestant school and not be criticising his ability to read.  But then playing the man is the way of Sky supporters.  ::)

Quoteso the only additional viewers are the casual sky subscribers in the uk who won't know what they are looking at unless the game is explained to them

If Sky keep patronising viewers by explaining the bleeding obvious, their coverage will hardly be entertaining for anyone here.

The obvious to who?

The appeal of the Sky deal is broadening the sport's horizons beyond the diaspora, plenty of introductory explaining will need to be done and were it not the whole deal would be self-defeating.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: armaghniac on April 05, 2014, 02:51:39 AM

What's "bleeding obvious" to you is not "bleeding obvious" to the thousands of people who'll be seeing the game for the first time. If you don't like it, go to the match instead.

Eamonnca1

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Syferus on April 05, 2014, 03:33:22 AM

The obvious to who?

The appeal of the Sky deal is broadening the sport's horizons beyond the diaspora, plenty of introductory explaining will need to be done and were it not the whole deal would be self-defeating.

It's painful to watch, isn't it? 

You see this shows you the difference between GAA promoters in Ireland (many of whom probably don't get out of the country much) and those of us who promote the game elsewhere. We know how the game looks to first-time viewers because we have to look at it through their eyes when we explain it to them.  Boys like our friend here haven't a clue. He's like the J1ers who showed up at a GAA stall that I set up in San Francisco one time, they were new in town and I don't think they'd traveled before. I was chatting to them while a woman appeared, looked at the posters and asked what game this is and asked how it's played. One of the young lads piped up (talking at a mile a minute in an impregnable Cork accent) "you stick to your man, you get in, you get the ball and you let fly." Not exactly as clear as Ikea assembly instructions.

Mayo Mick

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 05, 2014, 04:25:36 AM
Quote from: Syferus on April 05, 2014, 03:33:22 AM

The obvious to who?

It's painful to watch, isn't it? 

You see this shows you the difference between GAA promoters in Ireland (many of whom probably don't get out of the country much) and those of us who promote the game elsewhere. We know how the game looks to first-time viewers because we have to look at it through their eyes when we explain it to them.  Boys like our friend here haven't a clue. He's like the J1ers who showed up at a GAA stall that I set up in San Francisco one time, they were new in town and I don't think they'd traveled before. I was chatting to them while a woman appeared, looked at the posters and asked what game this is and asked how it's played. One of the young lads piped up (talking at a mile a minute in an impregnable Cork accent) "you stick to your man, you get in, you get the ball and you let fly." Not exactly as clear as Ikea assembly instructions.

Sounds as if the Cork fellow is better craic than you Eamon. Not as if the was asked to provide "assembly instructions". You will need a better anecdote than this to make your point!!!
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

Sidney

Quote from: orangeman on April 05, 2014, 12:54:08 AM

Liam O'Neill didn't go near far enough in what he said about this utter simpleton.

With people like him working in the banks its no wonder they went bankrupt.

seafoid

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 04, 2014, 10:04:11 PM
Quote from: roney on April 04, 2014, 09:43:19 PM
Agreed, as long as we are clear.

SKY SPORTS DO NOT BROADCAST TO THE IRISH DIASPORA BEYOND THE UK. IF ANYONE SAYS SKY IS GOOD FOR THE GAA BECAUSE IT BRINGS GAA ABROAD, THIS IS NOT TRUE.

Up to everyone to educate themselves though (including Mickey Harte).

But it will bring the GAA to approx half a million Irish in Britain. Is it not good for them? I think by abroad they mean Britain.
Britain is near abroad. They have many Irish cultural features such as the full irish breakfast, man utd and malt vinegar with chips.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: seafoid on April 05, 2014, 09:30:55 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on April 04, 2014, 10:04:11 PM
Quote from: roney on April 04, 2014, 09:43:19 PM
Agreed, as long as we are clear.

SKY SPORTS DO NOT BROADCAST TO THE IRISH DIASPORA BEYOND THE UK. IF ANYONE SAYS SKY IS GOOD FOR THE GAA BECAUSE IT BRINGS GAA ABROAD, THIS IS NOT TRUE.

Up to everyone to educate themselves though (including Mickey Harte).

But it will bring the GAA to approx half a million Irish in Britain. Is it not good for them? I think by abroad they mean Britain.
Britain is near abroad. They have many Irish cultural features such as the full irish breakfast, man utd and malt vinegar with chips.

Since emigrating to Britain, I have encountered a lot of nationalists from the north of Ireland who seem to not consider Britain abroad and are taken back by my assertion that I am living abroad. Some of these are quite republican in their conversations which makes me think a lot of them are suffering from Stockholm Syndrome.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Eamonn, just to say, saw your video on youtoob about the Sky Sports deal and totally agree with you.
Fair play. I couldn't give a rats arse about the Joe Duffy-types moaning about this that wouldn't set foot on their local GAA ground, but would appeal to all real GAA people to take a step back and re-assess this deal.
Like the opening up of Croker (which also saw a lot of dissention in the ranks) in time, I believe people will see the huge benefits of this new setup. Have heard a few county players like Aidan O'Shea moaning about the fact that Inter-County players won't see a cent of this new income, Ciarán Whelan then amongst others, was taking the "what about Johnny washing the jerseys in his local club" angle...My message to them would be..What the f*ck are you on about??

County players are not paid (from Croke park rugby/soccer windfalls or anything else) and 99% do not WANT to be paid. It's a unique situation we're in, being an amateur organisation in a position to create such revenue, so maybe some players struggle with this in their heads sometimes..but every county will reap the benefit from this now and down the line, and county boards (spending increasingly enormous sums on preparing squads) will pass some of that benefit onto the players.

Equally at club level, who WANTS to be paid? Yes, you have the situation in some parts of fellas charging X amount per session to train teams, which is worthy of discussion, but again..the benefit will filter down to clubs also.

RTE are showing 31 live games including all the semi finals and finals. If there's ever even a hint of the finals being shown exclusively on Sky Sports I will personally go and chain myself to the fence outside Croker, until then however, lets not get hysterical.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

orangeman

Flesh on the bones

MARTIN BREHENY – PUBLISHED 05 APRIL 2014 02:30 AM

It wasn't so much a few straws floating on a gentle breeze as great big sheaves of change lurking in a distant sky.

They went largely ignored because few thought that the wind would ever become strong enough to move them. And then a different Sky appeared.

While the majority of the GAA membership appeared stunned by Tuesday's announcement that Sky Sports, a subscription channel, had been granted exclusive rights for live coverage of 14 All-Ireland championship games this year, the signs were ominous for quite some time.

Setanta, another subscription channel, has had Saturday night rights for Allianz League games for several seasons.

And then, in the space of a few months last year, the GAA's president Liam O'Neill, director-general Paraic Duffy and commercial director Peter McKenna all made comments which, if not exactly announcing a change of TV rights policy for the championships, hinted at it.

EXPOSURE

"We've a lot of proposals and we're talking to a lot of different groups and that'll go on over the next few months," said Duffy in September.

"We have an open agenda on this one. What we're charged with is to get the best deal for the Association. That's not necessarily the most money but where we'll get the best TV coverage, exposure and marketing for our games. Obviously a pay-wall would cause some issues (for the championship) but we've been on a pay-wall with Setanta for the leagues," said McKenna in an interview with Matt Cooper on Today FM in November.

"All I'll say is that Peter McKenna is a shrewd gent. He will deal with the negotiations and I will only get involved at the final stages. He has the expertise to do that and we'll leave him to it," O'Neill told the media when asked about how the TV rights negotiations were progressing during the All Stars tour to Shanghai in early December.

McKenna's remarks were the most pointed, especially since O'Neill's comments left no doubt that the commercial director was the main man in the negotiations at that stage.

His job was to engage with all interested parties, putting together various packages and refining them as required before returning to the GAA's Management Committee, led by O'Neill and Duffy. with a range of options and recommendations.

In building terms, McKenna was the chief architect and designer while O'Neill and Duffy headed the council which would decide whether or not to grant planning permission. McKenna is very much the commercial overlord in charge of the GAA's general business activities as well as also managing the Croke Park Stadium.

He is more of a financial bottom-line man than O'Neill or Duffy, whose responsibilities encompass the broader GAA community and its sensitivities.

Consequently, O'Neill and Duffy can expect much more of a backlash against the Sky deal than McKenna, whose main job in the negotiations was to line up the best commercial deal, within the confines of the Association's ethos.

Duffy has more responsibilities in that area, while O'Neill is on the highest wire of all as the membership's top elected officer. His job takes him around the country week after week, where he can expect to spend much of his final 10 months as president explaining why the GAA put almost one-third of its televised championship programme for the next three years behind a pay wall.

The tri-annual TV rights negotiations became increasingly interesting since the start of the millennium as coverage increased in line with the extra games brought about by the introduction of the All-Ireland qualifiers in 2001. RTE remained the dominant player until 2008 when TV3 were granted some of the action, a situation which continued when the negotiations for the next deal were completed in early 2011.

It was all neat and tidy as two terrestrial channels shared the cake, leaving the public to take their free slices from whichever channel was offering the tray. But even as that deal was running through the 2013 season, thoughts were already turning to the new cycle, starting this summer.

"We began looking at it about nine months ago. We wanted a good long lead-in to make sure we got everything right. We went through an exhaustive process," said McKenna.

Existing rights holders and other interested parties were contacted and so began the task which ended early this week when the final deal was announced. The big change saw Sky Sports replacing TV3, with RTE continuing as the main rights holder.

It was open to any channel to bid for the entire championship package but that was most unlikely to happen in the current market. Besides, even if Sky Sports had gone for everything, there was no chance their bid would be successful because of the uproar it would generate among the GAA community.

It's understood that RTE's bid for the main package was considerably down on 2011, which was expected in line with market trends. Nonetheless, RTE were always going to be the main championship channel, leaving the secondary battle between TV3 and Sky Sports.

"Our aim all along was to get the balance right between the domestic and overseas markets. Every time GAA officials go abroad, the main request they get from Irish people is to do something to make sure that they have easier access to the games.

"We were very conscious of that in all the negotiations and we now have a deal to meet the needs of Irish people all over the world," said McKenna.

Sky Sports' interest in becoming involved held certain other attractions for the GAA, not least that it would provide ready access to games for Irish people in Britain. Sky came with other plus points too.

"Sky will bring a new perspective to their coverage, just as TV3 did when they came aboard. Everything will be in HD and obviously they have vast experience when it comes to being innovative.

"They will create a narrative for the qualifiers, bringing their own brand of expertise to the coverage. Competition is good in any walk of life and I'm sure RTE, who always do a good job, will respond again to the challenge," said McKenna.

"It's the way things work. Here in Croke Park, we've had to be more on our toes since the Aviva Stadium opened. Competition encourages everyone to look at how they are doing things and try to improve."

While the new package will increase revenue by a relatively small amount, McKenna said it was important to get as much return as possible from TV coverage at a time when market trends are down.

"The vast bulk of GAA income is recycled within the Association. That includes making stadiums as comfortable as possible for people who are actually attending the games as opposed to watching them on TV.

"Investment is needed across a whole range of areas, so income has to be maintained in whatever way we can at a time when government funding is down. Media rights are only part of that but it's an important part nonetheless," he said.

McKenna accepts there's unease over the move to Sky Sports but pointed out that between RTE's coverage of the championship and TG4's coverage of the Allianz Leagues, club championships and other competitions will result in almost 100 games per season being shown free-to-air over the next three years.

"It's interesting that when the number of live championship games shown under the last deal (2011-13) was cut by 10 on the previous deal (2008-10), it drew little or no critical comment.

"We think we've got the balance right with the new arrangement – both at home and abroad – and that time will show that to be the case," he said.