GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: Syferus on March 28, 2014, 07:21:41 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 28, 2014, 06:52:55 PM
This is a positive development. 

Sky will bring an upbeat presentation of the game and they won't hire pundits who bad mouth the game as if it's their job to turn off as many repeat viewers as possible.  They'll do a proper job of marketing the game and they'll be a lot more professional about it than RTE.

The game will be exposed to new audiences in the UK which is what we've needed for years.  I could write a whole book about that.

The money will be put to good use. I have to laugh at the "sure we've got plenty of money, we don't need any more" crowd.  Clubs in Britain and around the world are screaming out for extra resources, and it has to come from somewhere. As the games grow worldwide, it's entirely appropriate that a bigger audience outside of Ireland brings in more revenue to be reinvested in these new clubs.

We're a long way off professionalism.

Plenty of counties suffering at home before we even talk about overseas.

The extra exposure is the biggest thing that will come from this deal. TV is king.

Just out of interest, why do we have to make sure all the home clubs are ok before even talking about the hundreds of clubs overseas?
That was never a square ball!!

Zulu

Exactly, what makes a club in Roscommon more deserving of financial help than one outside of Ireland?

Syferus

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 28, 2014, 07:24:58 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 28, 2014, 07:21:41 PM

Sky will bring an upbeat presentation of the game and they won't hire pundits who bad mouth the game as if it's their job to turn off as many repeat viewers as possible.  They'll do a proper job of marketing the game and they'll be a lot more professional about it than RTE.

The game will be exposed to new audiences in the UK which is what we've needed for years.  I could write a whole book about that.

The money will be put to good use. I have to laugh at the "sure we've got plenty of money, we don't need any more" crowd.  Clubs in Britain and around the world are screaming out for extra resources, and it has to come from somewhere. As the games grow worldwide, it's entirely appropriate that a bigger audience outside of Ireland brings in more revenue to be reinvested in these new clubs.

Plenty of counties suffering at home before we even talk about overseas.

The extra exposure is the biggest thing that will come from this deal. TV is king.

Just out of interest, why do we have to make sure all the home clubs are ok before even talking about the hundreds of clubs overseas?

I'm not even talking about individual clubs but counties as a whole. Only a few large counties have not experienced shortfalls in the recent past.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, though, but in a sport where the vast majority of the money is made in Ireland the counties and clubs in Ireland will always come first.

If you want to argue the morals of that you can but it is how it is and how it will continue to be.

trileacman

You're a long way off if you think "clubs in Britain and around the world" will reap this worldwind. If the GAA won't fund them now and they're not exactly stuck for the cash, why the f**k would they do it in future?? Expect a few more white elephants like the Gaelic grounds in Limerick, Connacht centre of excellence and plush tours to Aussie to play a series that died 4 long years ago.

As for pushing the boundaries of "broadcasting excellence", where the f**k has your heads been? This is the channel that gave us Andy Gray, Richard Keyes and Chris Kamara. They're headed up by Fox and the Murdochs and contain the same character of person as was involved in the phone-hacking scandal.

The far flung idea that they'll be beaming GAA into the homes of every English Tom, Dick and Harry I'd say you're being optimistic at best. The suggestion that we'll easily outclass cricket, an established international sport with a huge following in Britain and a wealth of tradition is laughable.

Wouldn't just lose the run of yourselves just yet lads. There's as many pitfalls in this deal as there are advantages, combined with the fact that those involved with making the deal have the sole intention of making money and not serving the best interests of the volunteer at the base of the organisation. For the laugh 3.48 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5otHw6Jkns
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Zulu

Nothing to do with morals, if you want to take that position then Dublin deserve far more than Roscommon and the likes of Wicklow should get very little. By the way, nobody involved in international GAA would suggest we should get vast sums of money but the idea that you look after Ireland first and we get what's leftover is nonsense. You invest the money where there is a return.

Zulu

Quote from: trileacman on March 28, 2014, 07:51:45 PM

You're a long way off if you think "clubs in Britain and around the world" will reap this worldwind. If the GAA won't fund them now and they're not exactly stuck for the cash, why the f**k would they do it in future?? Expect a few more white elephants like the Gaelic grounds in Limerick, Connacht centre of excellence and plush tours to Aussie to play a series that died 4 long years ago.

As for pushing the boundaries of "broadcasting excellence", where the f**k has your heads been? This is the channel that gave us Andy Gray, Richard Keyes and Chris Kamara. They're headed up by Fox and the Murdochs and contain the same character of person as was involved in the phone-hacking scandal.

The far flung idea that they'll be beaming GAA into the homes of every English Tom, Dick and Harry I'd say you're being optimistic at best. The suggestion that we'll easily outclass cricket, an established international sport with a huge following in Britain and a wealth of tradition is laughable.

Wouldn't just lose the run of yourselves just yet lads. There's as many pitfalls in this deal as there are advantages, combined with the fact that those involved with making the deal have the sole intention of making money and not serving the best interests of the volunteer at the base of the organisation. For the laugh 3.48 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5otHw6Jkns

We have to show there is value in the investment abroad as well but the GAA is hardly flowing in disposable cash. I'm no fan of Sky sports but those pundits you mentioned were the face of the growth of soccer into what it is now so clearly people ain't all that intelligent. We could definitely get a fair share of the market as both sports are good spectator sports though we'll never be huge but most sports aren't.

Syferus

For someone who does a whole lot of ranting you seem pretty badly mis-informed.

Quote from: Zulu on March 28, 2014, 07:55:06 PM
Nothing to do with morals, if you want to take that position then Dublin deserve far more than Roscommon and the likes of Wicklow should get very little. By the way, nobody involved in international GAA would suggest we should get vast sums of money but the idea that you look after Ireland first and we get what's leftover is nonsense. You invest the money where there is a return.

Dublin wouldn't matter for anything if they had no one to play against. Ireland (+ London for (only) senior IC) is the home territory for this sport and hence it will always take a huge chunk of the money. There's nothing wrong with that, what's the point rotting the key pillar of the sport for the benefit of other territories? That's simply not how sport works in any part of the world.

Money isn't even being distributed correctly in the country as it is so of course money could be used more intelligently but like any sport that is played at the highest level (and the money-spinning level) in one country the money that is gained from the product will largely go to the territory that it's based in.

If the GAA wants to expand its horizons it can't be at the expense of the game at home and it won't be because all the key decision markers are here and will look after their own interests first.

AZOffaly

Who said anything about outclassing cricket? If you're referring to my post above, what I meant was there is very little on TV in the way of top class sport during the summer OTHER than cricket. In other words, there's probably a slot there that GAA on Sky could fit nicely on a Saturday evening/Sunday afternoon. They have 4 sports channels after all.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 28, 2014, 08:08:33 PM

Who said anything about outclassing cricket? If you're referring to my post above, what I meant was there is very little on TV in the way of top class sport during the summer OTHER than cricket. In other words, there's probably a slot there that GAA on Sky could fit nicely on a Saturday evening/Sunday afternoon. They have 4 sports channels after all.

Five if you count the cardboard car racing channel.

Eamonnca1

The GAA don't fund their clubs outside of Ireland, eh?  I must have imagined that story the other day about London GAA getting half a million quid to develop Ruislip. I must have imagined the money that was poured into Gaelic Park New York, Gaelic Park Chicago, Páirc na Gael in San Francisco, and the new grounds in Philadelphia.  I must have imagined the paid development officers that I've been working with in five US cities for the last six years or so.

QuoteAs for pushing the boundaries of "broadcasting excellence", where the f**k has your heads been? This is the channel that gave us Andy Gray, Richard Keyes and Chris Kamara. They're headed up by Fox and the Murdochs and contain the same character of person as was involved in the phone-hacking scandal.

I've seen how Sky promote sports. They talk the games up. They run trailers for every big match that's coming up. They hype the games up. They generate a bit of excitement.  Phone hacking and Rupert Murdoch's personality is irrelevant.  Contrast Sky's treatment of the games to RTE's:

"The first half was even, the second half was even worse."

"They have a forward line that couldn't punch holes in a paper bag."

"You get more contact in an old-time waltz at the old-folks' home than in a National League final."

That's it, lads. Bad mouth the game. Denigrate it.  Hate it.  Turn off as many repeat viewers as possible. Don't come crying to me when you've lost the broadcasting rights because you couldn't be professional in your presentation. If you behaved like that on an American network that paid big bucks to get these games and needed to get its money's worth, you'd be looking for a new job if you came out with bile like that.

QuoteThe far flung idea that they'll be beaming GAA into the homes of every English Tom, Dick and Harry I'd say you're being optimistic at best. The suggestion that we'll easily outclass cricket, an established international sport with a huge following in Britain and a wealth of tradition is laughable.

Sure. I remember when people told me it was "laughable" that there'd be a college hurling championship in America. 

There once was a time when cricket wasn't played outside the UK too. Every sport has to start its journey somewhere.

In any case who said anything about overtaking cricket or rugby or soccer? That's not what I'm about, I just want to see Gaelic games improving on their current status, which is invisibility.

Wouldn't just lose the run of yourselves just yet lads. There's as many pitfalls in this deal as there are advantages, combined with the fact that those involved with making the deal have the sole intention of making money and not serving the best interests of the volunteer at the base of the organisation.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Zulu on March 28, 2014, 07:55:06 PM

Spot on. If I had my way the funding in the USA would go to cities like Milwaukee and Indy rather than the likes of Boston and San Francisco (my own city).  You'd get far bigger return.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Syferus on March 28, 2014, 08:05:17 PM
Dublin wouldn't matter for anything if they had no one to play against. Ireland (+ London for (only) senior IC) is the home territory for this sport and hence it will always take a huge chunk of the money. There's nothing wrong with that, what's the point rotting the key pillar of the sport for the benefit of other territories? That's simply not how sport works in any part of the world.

Money isn't even being distributed correctly in the country as it is so of course money could be used more intelligently but like any sport that is played at the highest level (and the money-spinning level) in one country the money that is gained from the product will largely go to the territory that it's based in.

If the GAA wants to expand its horizons it can't be at the expense of the game at home and it won't be because all the key decision markers are here and will look after their own interests first.

There was uproar when FIFA hosted the World Cup in the USA, outside the soccer heartlands of South America and Europe.  Now soccer's booming in America.

FIFA has taken the World Cup to Japan, Korea and South Africa.  Investing in new territories is exactly how successful international sports should and do operate.

easytiger95

It is exactly what successful, international, professional sporting organisations do.

Listen lads, I'm all for Sky as I've wanted to see the coverage shaken up for a long time now - but it is also worth noting that the one of the last amateur sporting organisations to undertake a successful expansion ended up going professional. the Rugby World Cup in 91 was the death knell for amateur rugby, and it was fueled by increased television exposure.

I know enough to know the huge differences between the two situations - but my point is, while I'm supportive of the move, this is a historic moment in the Association's history. Any sporting organisation to work with Sky has ended up changed (for better, or worse, whatever your opinion) by the huge profile and the technical excellence of the coverage. TV has driven innovation in all sports and no one does it better than Sky. The issues this will bring up are definitely worthy of debate because no matter what, once the contract is signed, we're in a different ball game. For me this is as significant an event as the opening of Croker. The GAA will need to listen to everyone's concerns as we go.

bennydorano

I think people are ignoring the realities of demographics, lt'll be filler in Sky's schedules, between Ireland & GB I'd say there'll be as many, if not more, who'll be tuning in for Tightlines, Cycling or Speedway. It'll not be a seismic development & will have as much impact on their schedules as the already mentioned sports. On a side note I'm delighted to see it as I can't get TV3 at all but I have Sky Sports.  I also have Sky Broadband that unfortunately blocks all those sports internet links.

easytiger95

Depends on the games they get, but if they pick up a Leinster/Munster football final, where you could be guaranteed a 35k plus crowd for Cork v Kerry and 50k plus for Dublin v Meath, you can be guaranteed they will go big on it. They also may have the rights to simulcast the semis and finals with RTE - 80k in Croke Park at the end of August? They will give it the full gun alright.

The demographics may be against them, but if it ends up filler it won't be through lack of effort on a production level. Basically what I'm saying is the GAA may not change Sky, but Sky will change the GAA (for the better, I hope!)