Brillliant/Faithful movies from book adaptations

Started by Denn Forever, March 22, 2014, 03:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Just watching To Kill a Mockingbird on ITV3 at the moment.  It is a movie  that is a brilliant adaption of the  book.  Any other good book adaptations?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

CD

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 22, 2014, 03:05:02 PM
Just watching To Kill a Mockingbird on ITV3 at the moment.  It is a movie  that is a brilliant adaption of the  book.  Any other good book adaptations?

The Shawshank Redemption is almost word for word. Barely required a screenplay (apart form the fact that 'Red'- an Irishman was played by a black actor) Original Stephen King short story is called Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption - really worth a read.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

mouview

Both The Butcher Boy and No Country For Old Men were quite accurate productions of books I thought were rather unsatisfactory.

Two of my favourite novels, Gorky Park and Guns of Navarone were adapted into very poor films.

ONeill

Faithful movies or accurate depictions aren't necessarily a good thing.

Some of the best adaptations from a visual perspective can have a tenuous link.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 22, 2014, 03:05:02 PM
Worst film I've ever seen, such a disappointment. How people can rave about it is beyond me. The book is so good. The indian's character is turned into some mute in the film, terrible!
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Denn Forever

What book did you read?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Main Street

The prize for the most brilliant faithless adaption of a classic goes to One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest.

Canalman

Quote from: mouview on March 22, 2014, 11:18:46 PM
Both The Butcher Boy and No Country For Old Men were quite accurate productions of books I thought were rather unsatisfactory.

Two of my favourite novels, Gorky Park and Guns of Navarone were adapted into very poor films.

Whatever about the novel which I have never read the movie Guns of Navarone  is excellent. Shortened away many a Sunday afternoon .

Great books with great film to match

Name of the Rose
Day of the Jackal (old version)
Friends of Eddie Coyle