Dublin V Mayo, Saturday 29th March2014. Croke Park 7.00 pm.

Started by moysider, March 19, 2014, 12:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on March 29, 2014, 11:41:43 PM
Kevin McLoughlin is a fine footballer but Flynn and Connolly are better so he wouldn't make the Dublin team for me. I don't know why Mayo aren't producing better forwards but that's what I'd look at if I was in charge of Mayo football. Dublin are now producing genuinely class footballers where as they never did before so it can be done.

Ah, you can't have everything! Taking Dublin out of the equation who have great forwards? We are not alone!

ballinaman

Any reason why Connolly didn't get the line for bringing down Keegan in the 2nd half? Didn't see the replay in the stadium. Mr. Connolly was throwing shapes again tonight off the ball at every available opportunity.

maigheo

Quote from: ballinaman on March 29, 2014, 11:46:29 PM
Any reason why Connolly didn't get the line for bringing down Keegan in the 2nd half? Didn't see the replay in the stadium. Mr. Connolly was throwing shapes again tonight off the ball at every available opportunity.
Did not think it was a black card offense as Keegan cut across Connolly and even tho it was a free it seemed more accidental than anything else.

ballinaman

Quote from: maigheo on March 29, 2014, 11:50:57 PM
Did not think it was a black card offense as Keegan cut across Connolly and even tho it was a free it seemed more accidental than anything else.
Sound job, few lads hopped up in front and didn't get a decent look at it.

Dag Dog

I thought Cluxton had cleaned up his act in recent years?

blast05

A point re Dublins late goal.....
I put the blame for it firmly on the shoulders of Andy Moran. He came right back to his own 45 and set the tone for the other players, i.e.: we should play the clock down (this was not a 'tctic' the team have worked on). If there is a collective decision to do that then 2 points - you do not do it hovering around your own 45m line and you do not have your corner forward back standing on the 45m line thinking he is a quarter back who stands when he receives the ball rather than playing at full pace.
The even more frustrating part for me though was that as soon as the ball was lost that a Mayo player did not instantly rugby tackle the Dublin player and hold him down along with the ball accepting that he would get a black card .... and if the ball broke free that someone else made absolutely sure there would be no free kick. A similar lack of awareness cos us a draw against Kildare as well.

Re Colm Boyles black card ....
I put a large portion of the blame for this on the shoulders of Lee Keegan. The Dublin player that won the ball near the end line at the canal end was being shadowed by Keegan but Keegan made absolutely no effort to get a hand in or indeed do anything to put the player off his stride resulting in a good ball being played across - ultimately resulting in the black card. Leeroy should not be beyond criticism and the moment i am highlighting was a microcosm of a performance which was far below where it can and should always be (particularly in the 2nd half).

moysider

Kevin McLoughlin is a fine footballer but Flynn and Connolly are better so he wouldn't make the Dublin team for me. I don't know why Mayo aren't producing better forwards but that's what I'd look at if I was in charge of Mayo football. Dublin are now producing genuinely class footballers where as they never did before so it can be done.

No, no, no. Flynn and Connolly are fine players and they have size as well. But McLoughlin is different. Makes things tick. That s 2 games in a row against Cork and Dublin that he has been outstanding. Still a place for a smaller,smart, technical player. If you don t agree fine. We don t all see the game the same. Connolly can win a game on his own if he is let. Flynn is big enough to be a midfielder and is serious ordnance. Mcloughlin has the quality to make a team tick and he scores more than he s given credit for. That goal tonight was a fine finish. As regards producing class forwards. The less said about that the better ::)

Zulu

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 29, 2014, 11:45:29 PM

Ah, you can't have everything! Taking Dublin out of the equation who have great forwards? We are not alone!

Kerry, Cork and Tyrone (maybe), Donegal (McFadden, Murphy & McBrearty aren't bad) for a start. Mayo don't produce great forwards, especially considering their football pedigree. If you were to name the top 50 forwards of the last 40 years only Ciaran MacD would be definitely be in it despite Mayo making numerous All Ireland finals. Tipperary and Wicklow would have as many candidates for the love of Christ!

From the Bunker

Ah, It looked accidental. But could have been Black carded if the game was in Castlebar. Ah, in fairness Connolly get allot of (how should we put it) attention because of his character. So naturally he going to give some back or get his in first.

moysider

Not a black card. Keegan fouled by Connolly and fell and Connolly fell over him. No question of a card.
Might have been a call for what looked like a drag down on Aidan in first half.

Zulu

Quote from: moysider on March 30, 2014, 12:00:40 AM

No, no, no. Flynn and Connolly are fine players and they have size as well. But McLoughlin is different. Makes things tick. That s 2 games in a row against Cork and Dublin that he has been outstanding. Still a place for a smaller,smart, technical player. If you don t agree fine. We don t all see the game the same. Connolly can win a game on his own if he is let. Flynn is big enough to be a midfielder and is serious ordnance. Mcloughlin has the quality to make a team tick and he scores more than he s given credit for. That goal tonight was a fine finish. As regards producing class forwards. The less said about that the better ::)

Moysider, you can hold that opinion of course but I'd be surprised if many around the country would put McLoughlin in front of Connolly and Flynn. To my mind they are the two best wing forwards in football by a long way.

ballinaman

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 30, 2014, 12:04:16 AM

Ah, It looked accidental. But could have been Black carded if the game was in Castlebar. Ah, in fairness Connolly get allot of (how should we put it) attention because of his character. So naturally he going to give some back or get his in first.
Fair enough. Ya, himself and Drake had a nice few clips at each other a few times.

moysider

Quote from: ballinaman on March 30, 2014, 12:09:12 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 30, 2014, 12:04:16 AM

Fair enough. Ya, himself and Drake had a nice few clips at each other a few times.

I may be wrong but looked like Keegan was given free role after Cluxton's moment of madness. Looked a good idea but he didn t have his usual influence. Connolly came into it more then. Drake has promise but not ready for a Conolly yet while nobody messes with Keegan. Yet again one of the annoying calls we get wrong. Caff got injured I assume?

moysider

Quote from: Zulu on March 30, 2014, 12:06:12 AM
Quote from: moysider on March 30, 2014, 12:00:40 AM

Moysider, you can hold that opinion of course but I'd be surprised if many around the country would put McLoughlin in front of Connolly and Flynn. To my mind they are the two best wing forwards in football by a long way.

It is an easy call for me tbh. No contest. Not that I m saying the other 2 lads are daws or anything.

Bit like do you like a young O Driscoll or a Tuilagi?

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 29, 2014, 10:59:15 PM
Quote from: Chimley on March 29, 2014, 08:42:18 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 29, 2014, 08:38:53 PM
f**king shiteballs, complete arseology of the highest order.

You really have to hand it to Dublin. That's the confidence that comes from winning a couple of AI. Not much between the teams talentwise.

True, but that feels like a loss.

For both sides, given the final play.   

Very enjoyable game; another to add to the list between these two teams.