Under 8's / 10's query

Started by The Gs Man, March 11, 2014, 08:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 12, 2014, 09:56:07 AM
But again, why would you really care at that age? A 9 year old playing with 8s might win the game, but a) who cares and b) why would you bother if you didn't need to make up numbers.

Its a question only some can answer.

Largely its just to fool themselves that they are doing a good job and to get one over the opposition. Win at all costs.

AZOffaly

AZOffaly

Sorry, I mean Pathetic if they are doing it to win an under 8 game/blitz.

I've done it myself in fairness, but only because the young lad/girl had just started with us.

plus it was against them Ballinahinch feckers

North Longford

Was heavily involved with the local club in go games last year and there certainly would be instances where overage players were played but it was always a situation where a very weak 9 year old would play U8 etc. There can be a huge difference in size and ability at these age groups and certainly it was never raised as an issue. Scores weren't kept and no results were given (although the kids always seemed to have a fair idea). Even our own club would play 9 year olds at U8 now and then but these kids would barely be able to make the U8 team. Of absolutely no benefit to them putting them out with an U10 team

magpie seanie

But again, why would you really care at that age? A 9 year old playing with 8s might win the game, but a) who cares and b) why would you bother if you didn't need to make up numbers.

That's how sensible people think. A lot of people are not sensible.

AZOffaly

Quote from: North Longford on March 12, 2014, 10:54:55 AM
Was heavily involved with the local club in go games last year and there certainly would be instances where overage players were played but it was always a situation where a very weak 9 year old would play U8 etc. There can be a huge difference in size and ability at these age groups and certainly it was never raised as an issue. Scores weren't kept and no results were given (although the kids always seemed to have a fair idea). Even our own club would play 9 year olds at U8 now and then but these kids would barely be able to make the U8 team. Of absolutely no benefit to them putting them out with an U10 team

That's my take on it too NL. The core of what we do at that age should be about the kid, and making sure they are enjoying themselves and learning the skills. Obviously a fella that joins the club at 14 years of age will be restricted and will have to go with his own age group, albeit probably with individual coaching etc. But if you put a 7 year old beginner with his age group to make sure he's with the right age, you might destroy him and drive him off. I'd much prefer to play a 7 year old with 6s or a 9 year old with 8s, if it helped them in the long run. And Kids are not daft either, they're just smaller than us. They know full well they are with the younger age, and usually that's fine if they are beginners, or feel more comfortable there. As soon as they feel a bit braver they'll want to go with their proper age anyway.

I still can't get my head around people playing overage kids in blitzes so that they win the game. That's mad.

Bingo

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 12, 2014, 11:00:49 AM

That's how sensible people think. A lot of people are not sensible.

Thats it in a nutshell. Common sense can be applied in these cases but some will go for glory.

Best I seen was a half time match at a hurling county final - a meaningless match to give young ones a big of a buzz. The competing clubs where to play their U10 teams, one of the teams played their U10's, the other played a "team". The U10 team never got it past midfield and struggled even to get it there. The others had a few lads driving it for goals from distance.  It was a farce but they took some sort of twisted glory.

Thankfully they lost the main game when they should have won it.  :D

johnneycool

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on March 11, 2014, 11:06:34 PM
Quote from: The Gs Man on March 11, 2014, 10:09:26 PM
Thanks for the replies lads. Looks like it varies across Counties.

Has your County Board set the age rule or does it just depend on the rules set down by the club hosting the Blitz/Games?

The Down county board changed it to primary school year last year, some of the reasons being that you didn't have a separation of school friends at underage level which could lead to losing some children if their mates weren't going to the same training as them, and that Armagh clubs were Primary School year. With the increasing number of blitzes being open to both counties, it was decided that it was fairer if all clubs were playing like for like.
I think this took about five years to get county board approval, although some clubs took the issue into their own hands long before that.

In hurling (in Down) at the start of 2013 it was based on the calendar year, 1st Jan and all that, then during the summer months reverted to the school year which it currently is at, but I'm being told it may go back to the calendar year again, god knows why..

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

In Derry hurling its school year, its all about common sense, if a p7 is weak or new you play him with p6 etc. Its about inclusion and development at that age

AZOffaly

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 12, 2014, 01:45:02 PM
In Derry hurling its school year, its all about common sense, if a p7 is weak or new you play him with p6 etc. Its about inclusion and development at that age

We need a like button on this. ^^Like^^

theskull1

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on March 11, 2014, 11:06:34 PM
Quote from: The Gs Man on March 11, 2014, 10:09:26 PM
Thanks for the replies lads. Looks like it varies across Counties.

Has your County Board set the age rule or does it just depend on the rules set down by the club hosting the Blitz/Games?

The Down county board changed it to primary school year last year, some of the reasons being that you didn't have a separation of school friends at underage level which could lead to losing some children if their mates weren't going to the same training as them, and that Armagh clubs were Primary School year. With the increasing number of blitzes being open to both counties, it was decided that it was fairer if all clubs were playing like for like.
I think this took about five years to get county board approval, although some clubs took the issue into their own hands long before that.

In North Antrim its typically been P3/P4 and P5/P6 with the P5/6 transitioning to birth year U10 later in the year. Some clubs though have kept organising their teams by calendar year and now there's some pressure to revert

I believe the reason above in bold was the considered factor. I'd agree with this approach. Big difference in a child's mind between a P4 and a P6 yet playing birth years brings this about, so before they've really learned the skills of the games there's a big risk that you'll put them off before they get started.
This age should be 95% all about keep as many youngsters playing as possible. There's always going to be weak players and I think its important that there's enough slack to allow lads like this to gain confidence competing at an ability level they find achievable.

As others have said, the half wits will always ruin that type of fair minded principle

SW Antrim play class years as well
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

magpie seanie

We had 35+ kids (boys and girls) at U-8 level last year so we decided to split them and run two squads. We split them as equally as we could in terms of age and ability. We let the other clubs know we were doing this and most co-operated and brought as many as they could and rotated properly etc and gave everyone game time. Occasionally you'd run into a crowd who would arrive with their 10 to 12 best boys only and end up scratching your head. Really hard to bite the tongue but it had to be done.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 12, 2014, 02:38:06 PM
We had 35+ kids (boys and girls) at U-8 level last year so we decided to split them and run two squads. We split them as equally as we could in terms of age and ability. We let the other clubs know we were doing this and most co-operated and brought as many as they could and rotated properly etc and gave everyone game time. Occasionally you'd run into a crowd who would arrive with their 10 to 12 best boys only and end up scratching your head. Really hard to bite the tongue but it had to be done.

We had that as well. It's mad :) We have 80+ from at 6 and 8. We don't play anything above 7 a side, so typically we have at least 4 teams in each age at a blitz, depending on time of year, absentees etc. But it's gas when you see something like 'Ballyblah A', 'Ballyblah B' and they are so obviously a real A and B team. I normally grab the lads as they run by me and say you're there, you're there, you're there. And try and keep it as balanced as possible.

magpie seanie

I just couldn't fathom why some clubs who would have similar numbers to us wouldn't bring everyone to a game/blitz. Mad.

Bingo

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 12, 2014, 02:38:06 PM

Seen that happen alright. We'd generally try and balance both teams to be fair - good mix of the better players and the weaker.

Have seen some clubs land with everyone but pack one team and have another team who can't keep it kicked out. In a supposed non-competitive environment its so fustrating and a few comments have been passed if truth been told.