AFL Season 2014

Started by Aerlik, March 06, 2014, 04:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlriteHorse

More of a man for the Moet tbh Aerlik. It was only 6 goals BuddyFrank got at the weekend too. Didn't see much dueto other commitments and also the All Blacks game.

Our season ended on Sunday so I should be about on Saturday and free for birthday drinks for the Final Round. Assuming the other quarter doesn't. Have something else planned.
Allez les bleus! Forza azzurri!

TabClear

Geelong/Hawks game was a great game. Cats 33 points up at half time and then the Hawks went and kicked ten on the spin in the 3rd/4th to be relatively comfortable in the end. A couple of their lesser names (Hale/Lanford) stepped up when it mattered kicking some important goals. Good to see Essendon in the playoffs for the players sake after last year, whatever went on higher up in the club. Feel sorry for Gold Coast though, after Plan A(blett) failed they have struggled.

It is a difficult one to call this year as the top 4 can all beat each other on thier day, I cannot remember a season when there have been so many games that have swung so much between quarters!

On a separate note, I would be interested in the views of some of the guys out in Oz. Is play acting/simulation/faking/diving, whatever you want to call it becoming more of an issue this season? Its not something I would have associated with Aussie Rules at all when I was out there,  but there seem to have been a few incidents this year of players buying frees and teh commentators/player pundits almost seem to be embarrassed by it.

Other  games closer to home could take note!

AlriteHorse

Can't say I've seen too much of it this year but it has been happening. Stevie J done it the other week against Freo and won an easy free for it. Other than that, I can't say there's been too many "High-Profile" cases of play acting feigning injury.

Some teams had been accused of getting their players to "duck" under tackles, be caught high, then win a free. Play acting etc isn't really something that you'd see too much of, though it has become more common / less uncommon, whatever way ye wanna put it.

TabClear

Maybe its just that I have seen a few incidents in the last few weeks. Saw the Stevie J incident, Bartel had a Swallow dive in the match at the weekend and I think it was Lindsay Thomas who got a hard time a couple of weeks ago.

It is possibly the ducking the head thing that is throwing up more examples of high contac where no frees are being paid. Really hope that it does nt creep into the game like it has in the GAA over the last decade.

Aerlik

West Coast Ducks for a reason.  Infuriating the way some of them do it.  (Cue the backlash!)

TabClear, there have been a few incidents but with so many cameras around the grounds these days they are getting caught out.  Lindsay Thomas was stupid, and Bartel was a twat.  I hate to see players of such quality resorting to this carry on.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Aerlik

Round 23 - the final round of the regular season.

What a weekend (for some of us ;D). 

Hawthorn 121-56 Collingwood
Collingwood were right in this game up to quarter time and then it happened.  The Hawks turned the screw and that was it, the floodgates opened.  Simply too good for the injury-ravaged Pies who have 18 players on their current injury list.   Mind you what is really ominous for the other teams left in the finals is that Hawthorn have four or five of last year's premiership team on the sidelines too, so getting them back will be a massive boost.  Hawthorn finish second only on percentage to Sydney. That's the season over for Collingwood and it will be seen as a failure with high hopes of at least a top 6 finish.  I feel that is the end of Marty Clarke's time as an AFL player.  He did not feature after the slaughtering Collingwood got by Fremantle in Round 1. 

Carlton 90-90 Essendon.
Simply incredulous.  This game was the one and only draw this year but what a superb game for the neutral.  It had everything.  Carlton were pasting the Bombers in the first quarter.  The Bombers returned the compliment over the next hour and were seemingly cruising for an expected win but the Blues came back and Zac Tuohy was one of two players who had the chance to be the hero of the hour and seal a win but the kick fell short.  Some of the tackling and marking was top drawer stuff.  The result secures the Bombers' finals spot but for Carlton it is back to the drawing board to see what can be done to turn the club's fortunes around after the high expectations of 2014 were scuttled by some terrible performances.  Nevertheless, I think Tuohy will be around for a while yet.

Fremantle 105-97 Port Adelaide.
The equation was simple; the winner secured fourth spot and a double chance in the finals.  Well, what a game.  Simply brilliant to be there with 39,000 other members and fans.  The game was a real finals-type battle throughout the first half with the sides even at the end of the first quarter and only one point separating them at half time.  Port got two early third quarter goals and then Freo hit a purple patch.  Nine unanswered goals to storm into a seemingly unassailable lead to lead by 39 point with 16 minutes of the fourth quarter gone.  However, Port showed why it is one of the best teams in the contest and started to claw back the lead eventually getting down to 8 points before time ran out.  Both teams had very straightforward shots that they missed and Port in particular will be rueing two in particular which might have made the difference.  For me the defining moment in the game came in the  third quarter with barely two minutes left.  Power's big forward Westhoff (he is fekkin huge) was streaking through and about to shoot for goal when Bang! he got levelled by Freo's Chris Mayne.  Mayne, after releasing the ball ran unmarked for about 120m into the forward are and collected the ball and after getting a 50-metre for God knows what, goaled.  Effectively a 12-point play.  Great stuff.  As for Freo, well, that fourth spot is most welcome meaning a trip to Sydney to face the Swans next weekend at ANZ stadium.  And Nat Fyfe will be back so this should be an intriguing game. 

Richmond 68-65 Sydney
What I would have given to have been there among the Richmond fans.  This was epic stuff.  Richmond took the game to the Swans and fought like their lives depended on it.  Well, their finals aspirations did.  I listened to this on the wireless and the commentary was superb.  Richmond held a 33-point lead early on in the game and then the Swans woke up.  A tough, relentless battle in the rain ensued and Richmond were playing desperation footy as they hung on to that chance to make the Top 8.  With about 7 minutes to go, Swans took the lead for the first time in the game and we all thought that the Tigers were spent.  But they weren't and it took Dustin Martin to seal the game for them.  Still, there were about three minutes to go and suddenly the Tigers' fans were being cheered by 60,000 Freo fans (errrr, probably), including mini-me and I as we drove home from the Freo game.  And then it happened; them'uns were not going to play finals footy this year. ;D :D :)  Love it.

North Melbourne 123-93 Melbourne
The score belies the fact that the Kangaroos cruised through this game.  For Melbourne it was a case of coulda, woulda, shoulda.  The knives are being sharpened as I type, for the Demons.  For North Melbourne, a game v. Essendon awaits.  That should be interesting.

Geelong 143-81 Brisbane
Pretty much a case of the Cats going through the motions.  Never really tested by the Lions who, despite this thumping, will take some solace in the fact that the season showed definite signs of improvement.  It has been a fantastic year for Pearce Hanley whose profile has jumped immensely with some exceptional performances.  Expect a  few Brownlow votes for the Connaught man (being politically correct as I don't want to upset any Rossies or Mayo wans.  Not after last night any way!)  For the Cats it's third place and a gigantic clash with Hawthorn on Friday night to get the Finals underway.

Well there you have it; the final round of the season.  Oh wait, sorry there were three insignificant games played today for six teams that will NOT playing finals footy despite all the hot air we had to endure over the past week, especially in Perth.

West Coast 151-99 Gold Coast
The fact that a paltry crowd actually attended says it all.  No one cared, and many are happy them'uns are not in the finals.  Quite incredulous the bias in WA reporting of this last weekend of league footy.  It appeared to be a given that the Eagles would be in the top 8 playing Freo.  Well presumptions were wrong.  Very wrong. :D

Adelaide 141-62 St. Kilda.
The only significance about this game was the confirmation that the wooden spoon was won by the Saints.  (Now if only Freo had not lost that day.  Jeez, still pissed off).

Greater Western Sydney 115 - 109 Western Bulldogs
A dour encounter marked by a key moment in the last 40 seconds of time.  A great tackle by a Giants player resulted in the ball being thumped long to the wing where it was collected and carried by a team mate and then #Thump#, the ball was blasted through from about 50 metres to record the Giants first ever win in Melbourne.  The win sees the newest club record their 6th. win of the season and that is the best to date.  12 years ago Freo won two games.  Now look were we are.

So there you have it.  Next weekend begins the finals series with four teams getting a double chance and four teams facing elimination.  Brilliant stuff.

Alrite Horse was noticeable by his absence at today's Gaelic Football finals in Perth.  Probably a bit overhung after celebrating his birthday yesterday wiff da missus.  Happy Birthday aul' han'.  He missed my debut for the "Legends" game, which didn't quite go to plan.  I forgot how fcukin sore it is to ping a hammy.  At my age I should have known better.  Our Co. Derry camaraderie will be put aside next weekend as his beloved Swans (bandwagoner if ever there was one) play my lads.  C'maaaaan Freo.

AlriteHorse

No hangover I'm afraid Aerlik! Just taking a well deserved break from being down at the fields.

As for bandwagoner.....I actually started supporting the Swans because of a young guy called Adam Goodes....I'm sure you've heard of him. Hadn't a clue who the good teams and bad teams were all those years ago but just like Goodesy so went with them. Don't think that puts me in the "bandwagonners" bracket but I'll let that slide. You probably picked Freo based on something stupid like the colour of their kit / style of their jersey? ;b

Interesting one coming up next week. I'm staying in Crown all next weekend so let me know if ye fancy watching the game there. I'll have the red and white on!

Aerlik

Quote from: AlriteHorse on September 01, 2014, 02:25:29 AM
You probably picked Freo based on something stupid like the colour of their kit / style of their jersey? ;b

Interesting one coming up next week. I'm staying in Crown all next weekend so let me know if ye fancy watching the game there. I'll have the red and white on!

Well, ummmm, ya see 12 years ago it was easy and very cheap to get into a Freo game.  The home attendances were averaging 20,000.  But for me it was a player called Jeff Farmer who caught my eye.  And the rest is history.  I do admit to liking the colour purple.  I have been a really, really big fan of Goodes but his I'm-almost-past-it-so-I'll-feign-injury tactics at the weekend were very disappointing to see, don't you agree?  Brady Grey did exactly the same thing against Freo on Saturday.  Dropped like a ton of lead when Sandilands touched his shoulder.

I'm working from 6am on Saturday and won't see the game at all.  Probably not a bad thing.  It's Sydney's to lose especially after the bad news about the best half-back in the country, Michael Johnson, being ruled out for the rest of the season.  Enjoy. (And I'll see you in the final  ;)  )

general

Quote from: Aerlik on August 31, 2014, 04:56:19 PM
That's the season over for Collingwood and it will be seen as a failure with high hopes of at least a top 6 finish.  I feel that is the end of Marty Clarke's time as an AFL player.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Down/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=223483

Aerlik

Club Rossa

Powerful performance from Hawthorn last night.Big performances from everyone all over the park.Lake was able to nulify the threat from Hawkins who is always a real handful for the Hawks.Mitchell was outstanding as were Dureya and Hill.Win against the Cats have been scarce these last few years so to beat them by such a big margin was great.

Aerlik

The Finals have begun and some of us are not smiling.

Hawthorn 104 -68 Geelong
Well, if there was any doubting the power and clinical attitude of the Hawks this game ended it.  Simply awesome throughout the park.  The running off the ball was great to watch and the way the hawks opened up the Cats was mystifying.  There had been doubts all season as to the potency of the cats.  This game showed it.  However, all is not lost as they have a second chance.  For Hawthorn, it is a week off and good luck to whichever team they play next (groan, gulp, eeeeeek  ??? :-[ :-\ ) ...

Sydney 93 - 69 Fremantle
...and that team might be Fremantle.  There is a lot of talk about how Buddy Franklin won the game for the Swans.  Bollix.  The midfield won the game as they overpowered and stifled the Dockers big men.  I'm not going to whinge and gurn about dodgy umpiring (of which even one-eyed Swans fans like AlriteHorse could only agree there was atrocious amounts favouring his team  ;) ).  Freo had the chances to win the game but didn't take them.  Simple as that.    For Swans it is a week off for them, too, and for us it is back to Perth for a massive game against Port Adelaide.

North Melbourne 93-81 Essendon
This is precisely why I love this game (not as much as hurling but the two can't be compared).  In the third quarter Essendon led by 33 points having restricted the 'roos to an unbelievable one point - and that a rushed behind - in the second quarter.  Then the 'roos woke up.  When panned out was some of the best sports viewing I have seen for some time.   Simply brilliant, edge of the seat stuff and I found myself roaring on the 'roos; I have a strong dislike for the way Essendon slithered out of greater punishment for their drug cheating.  Anyhow, that's the bombers out and the 'roos to face Geelong.  I fancy them in that game but good luck to whichever teams faces Sydney.  IN SYDNEY. 

Port Adelaide 132-75 Richmond.
This game was over at the end of the first quarter, such was the "brutal" dominance and running of the Power.  Again, the big names of Schulz, Westhoff, Boak, Grey and that most wonderful of players to watch either on TV or live, Chad Wingard, stood up and dominated.  There was a lot made of the fact that the Tigers were appearing in back-to-back finals series for the first time in 40 years; that they were humiliated all over the park will have taken a lot of the gloss of that feat.  And the Eagles' conspiracy theorists are in overdrive today claiming that Sydney let the Tigers win last week.  Now how could they?  (pssst. AlriteHorse, could they have?) Fekkit I don't care.

So, Geelong play North Melbourne on Friday night with the winner facing Sydney.
Freo play Port Adelaide on Saturday with the winner playing Hawthorn.

Hmmm, I wonder what I will do now that I really can imagine being in Melbourne on that last Saturday in September?

AlriteHorse, I'm still prepared to do a special deal for you and Mrs Horse to be, to get yiz over to the final.

AlriteHorse

Craic Aerlik?

On Saturdays game....thought Buddy got a couple of very soft frees. Several poor calls throughout the game, pretty much all of which went to us. Still think Swans were slightly the better team. Moved the ball fairly fast under severe pressure and were able to work it out from tight spaces with 3/4 quick hand passes. Can't see any other team putting them under the same pressure.

Reckon the Swans need to improve in their next game.

Few nice goals kicked by the Dockers but ye don't get extra points for nice scores.

TabClear

Both the top four representatives gone in the 2nd week of finals for the first time. Cats were very poor for three quarters against the kangaroos but nearly clawed back a six goal deficit in the last quarter. first match in 8 that the Cats have lost this season where the difference was less than 2 goals.

Freo against Port was a cracker although little consolation to Aerlik I would imagine. Freeo stated like a train and should really have been out of sight by half time but for some poor finishing. Port just hung on and hit the front at the end of the third quarter. Some of Freo big names just couldn't get on the ball after half time.

All in all two great games but it just makes a Sydney Hawthorn final even more likely.

stephenite

Two cracking games alright, it is hard to see the Kangaroos beating Sydney or Port taking the Hawks