AFL Season 2014

Started by Aerlik, March 06, 2014, 04:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Club Rossa

Hawthorn will be without Sam Mitchell for 8 weeks and Brian Lake for 3 or 4.Huge blow for the Hawks.
Lake was badly missed against Geelong a few weeks ago.In his absence they had nobody to handle Tom Hawkins.
Mitchell is a class act,will need him back to full fitness asap.

Aerlik

Round Seven

Collingwood 104-70 Carlton
The battle of the biggest rivals in the AFL, or so they like to tell everyone else.  (Clearly they have no idea about the cities of Adelaide/Port Adelaide and Perth/Fremantle).  Well, it was a bit of a "dead rubber", to use an Australianism.  The Pies were simply too good all over the pitch and the final score compliments the blues such was the difference in class.  Move on!

Hawthorn 175-30 St.Kilda
Notable for three things, not surprisingly all negative.  Firstly as has been mentioned by Club Rossa, the injuries to Mitchell and Lake will irritate the Hawks more than actually hurt them, such is their dominance and depth.  But more significantly, the loss was the worst in St.Kilda's history.  Hard to believe this club was back-to-back Grand Finalists just a handful of years ago.  How the mighty have fallen.

Port Adelaide 132-97 Greater Western Sydney
The Power machine keeps rolling on.  Totally dominated all areas of this game and won at a canter.  But there are some big games ahead for the Power and we'll see just how good they are starting next weekend (ahem ::))

Melbourne 70-67 Adelaide
The biggest shock of the round.  Even though both teams are in the bottom third of the table, the Crows were beginning to have a bit of a run and were expected to wallop the Demons.  Well, the defensive effort of the Demons was quite admirable and slowly but surely the Demon faithful are beginning to dream of a season out of the bottom two.  It is a long season.  Big controversy in this game is the suspension of Demons' player Viney for a bump which earned him a two-match suspension.  Melbourne are appealing, and having seen it several times, I think they are justified.

Sydney 123-44 Brisbane
Brisbane are clearly suffering with the injury list.  Hanley and Brown were both missing for this game but even with their presence, I doubt if there'd have been a much better effort on the score sheet.

Essendon 73-65 Western Bulldogs
Ooooh how the Bombers needed this one and how close it almost came to not being.  Some good signs at the Bulldogs.

Gold Coast 120-77 North Melbourne
And suddenly the AFL chiefs are starting to believe that their expansion plans are bearing fruit.  Well, what do you expect if you hand the club the best picks at draft and an open cheque book.  That aside, a great win for the Suns which sees them sitting fifth, the highest position the club has ever achieved. 

Geelong 81-76 Richmond
At half-time, it appeared that Geelong were going to emulate the efforts of Hawthorn such was their lead.  However, credit to the Tigers their comeback was pretty impressive and they'll rue the chances they missed in the first half.  Geelong were damned glad to get over the line.

Fremantle 73-54 DrugThugs
If Freo lose then as long as the eagles lose, life is almost bearable in Perth, and vice versa.  However, there is a certain satisfaction in beating the eagles in their home game.  I went to the game and the first quarter was exceptional by Freo.  However the scoring was not.  The eagles hit the front in the first few minutes of the third quarter and I thought that the worst was going to happen, but six goals without reply gave the boys a great lift and practically sealed the game.  If you watch the highlights, check out Michael Barlow's goal.  Yes, life has been very bearable in Perth this week. ;D ;D

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Ball Hopper

I see Port Adelaide had a good final quarter to beat Freo to stay top of the table/ladder.  Power looking good so far, but early days yet. 

Aerlik

Round 8, Split Round (byes for 6 clubs, pt.1)

Sydney 107-88 Hawthorn
The much-anticipated game where Buddy Franklin came up against his old teammates and what a clinker of a game it was.  I only saw the second half, having listened to the first on the car wireless, but it was great stuff.  Hard hitting, great skills, and wonderful scores.   This game also saw the first appearance together of Sydney's twin towers up front, Buddy and Kurt Tippett.  The latter is a player I have admired since first seeing him in his debut year at Adelaide.  Strong as a bull, big unit, mobile and a great peg on him.  Suddenly the cracks are appearing in Hawthorn who were without a couple of big name players and the rest were simply no match for the Swans despite the efforts in the second quarter.

Port Adelaide 94-76 Fremantle
Well, if the neighbours didn't know I am a Dockers fan, they do now.  It is a good job the players didn't hear me as I was letting rip to no end.  A dreadful start was countered by a superb second quarter but the woeful kicking continues to haunt us as the Power came back in the third and eventually overran us in the fourth.  No complaints here, but it might have been so different if one or two little things had gone our way.  As it is, no excuses, and Port sit atop the table.  Deservedly so.

Essendon 65-57 Brisbane
Even the return of Brown and Pearce Hanley couldn't get the Lions over the line, but it was close.  I only saw the highlights of the game and by all accounts it wasn't anything to write home about.  Essendon are struggling and if the ASADA report rumours are to believed, there will be a few players possibly sitting on the sidelines for a while and the Bombers could be dropping near to the bottom.

Western Bulldogs 99-83 Melbourne
I, along with many others, thought the Demons would win this one.  Well, it's a funny ol' game, innit?  This was a good game to watch mainly due to the closeness throughout but in the end the Bulldogs deserved the points.  You don't begrudge a win to a team like the Bulldogs who are always struggling in the shadow of the big Melbourne clubs but it doesn't augur well for these two clubs if this fixture is seen as a must-win scenario, mainly for pride rather than top 8 contention.

West Coast 188-77 Greater Western Sydney
Now, it is well-known and frequently repeated on this thread that I despise anything to do with the Eagles after the culture of cheating and lies that they engendered while winning the Premiership in 2006 and the years after.  And so, with heavy heart I unbelievably reluctantly, and on pain of death, agreed to take my good lady's son - a misinformed Eagles fan, but there is always time to educate him and his brother - to the game.  Dear God, you'd think that having lost four-in-a-row and being guaranteed a win that the fans would come to the game; oh no, every excuse under the sun was used to justify why only 29000 turned up...and this is a club where there is a multiple-years waiting list to get a seat.  Pathetic.  Then of course there were murmurings in the stand about a top-4 finish.  Sweet Jesus, there are some seriously deluded people following that club.  On the other hand, I make a point to mini-me when we go to Freo games, to acknowledge skill and talent even from the other team.  With that I will acknowledge the kicking exhibition of Josh Kennedy who kicked 11 goals in the game.  Before anyone thinks I'm the one being converted, I must emphasise that the Giants were shite all over the park.  But in the spirit of sportsmanship, I DID clap EVERY one of their goals much to the disdain of some auld battle axe sitting about 15ft away who kept scowling at me when I did.  Sportsmanship, luvvy...you're club needs to learn about it.

Carlton 101-69 St. Kilda
This game was only on Fox Footy so I didn't see it.  I only got to hear a summary after and it appears it wasn't too difficult for the Blues.  Mind you, the Saints are pretty mediocre this year so Carlton are keeping a lid on it.

Club Rossa

Won't get much better for Hawthorn against Port, Aerlik.They will also be missing Rioli and Roughead.Getting my excuses in early ;D

Aerlik

... and they'll be without Josh Gibson after he tore a pec muscle last week against Sydney.  That is a major blow as those are three of the central core of the team gone.  Port are on a roll. (Now why weren't they injured against Freo?)

TabClear

Quote from: Aerlik on May 15, 2014, 03:11:06 PM
... and they'll be without Josh Gibson after he tore a pec muscle last week against Sydney.  That is a major blow as those are three of the central core of the team gone.  Port are on a roll. (Now why weren't they injured against Freo?)

Arguably the hawks 3 most important players out. key defender in Gibson, elite midfielder in Mitchell and reigning Coleman medalist in roughead. Throw in last year's norm Smith medalist and arguablythe best small forward in the game and its a massacre!

Port must be doing deals with someone! :P

is Hodge back?

Aerlik

Round Nine - the continuation of the split round format, with only six games played again.

Adelaide 76-55 Collingwood
Not many outside of Adelaide would have predicted this one and at the end of the first quarter it was going to form with the Pies well in front in all areas and a massacre about to unfold.  But as has happened all too often in the past, the pies forgot to play the rest of the game and got a belting all around the ground.  Great viewing for those who do not like Collingwood.  And there are a few.

Sydney 114-64 Essendon
I honestly cannot recall turning off the TV during the second quarter of Friday night football (apart from when watching Freo!).  Such was the total dominance of the Swans, they were just waaaaay too good all over the park.  And Essendon were waaaaay too shite.  And the Buddy Franklin show rolls on.  Swans are coming into good form and will, as predicted, make a serious go of it for honours in September.

Melbourne 91-74 Richmond
The second game that no one quite predicted would go the way it did.  Melbourne were just too good all over the ground, but before any closet Demons fans get excited, the game was still shite.  Some of the kicking was woeful, some of the missed tackles were hilarious.  However, it is nice to see the Demons turning a new leaf, or so it would seem.

North Melbourne 125-38 Brisbane
I didn't watch this game and I didn't miss much.  Move along.

Gold Coast 125-87 St. Kilda
Another seemingly facile win for the new boys.  But the cruel reality of the AFL may well descend upon the Suns when in the next few weeks they take on the biggest teams so we will know exactly how good they are and where they stand.

Fremantle 96-64 Geelong
What a night.  I was there with Mini-me (and somewhere in the stands was Alrite Horse, too) to acknowledge our club captain, Matthew Pavlich in his 300th game.  And needing only two goals to get to 600 for his career, the place was buzzing with excitement when the boys came out.  And what a start.  Pavlich nailed a beauty from an impossible angle in the 1st. minute.  Then a few minutes later the place went ballistic when he kicked his second for the night and his 600th.  It was fekkin magic.
The boys played hard and deserved their win.  All the plaudits are going to Pav, and to Ballantyne for his efforts.  But for me (again) the stand out player was Mzungu.  He is a quiet achiever and a real work horse.  Other highlights included Balla's goals especially his first, and Fyfe's mark when he soared over his man to collect a real specky.  A great night, I'm still hoarse from roaring on the boys and Freo are poised to make a real drive to the top four in the next ten weeks. Can't wait.

Club Rossa

Hodge and Sewell back for Hawthorn this weekend.Hodge's inclusion is vital especially in the absence of Sam Mitchell.

Aerlik

Indeed it is but they are playing in Adelaide against a winning team.  Looking forward to it.

Aerlik

Round 10 - the last of the bye rounds.

Geelong 111-91 North Melbourne
Another straightforward win for the Cats and the alarm bells are starting to ring at North.  Simply too good.    The win keeps the Cats on track for a top four finish but they have a few diffucult games ahead.  For the Roos, there just seems to be stagnation followed by an occasional morale-boosting win.

Richmond 154-41 Greater Western Sydney
A couple of days prior to this game, there were rumblings from the Richmond camp that several big names in the club were not happy with the way they were being coached.  Such was the consternation that key forward Jack (the Hack) Riewoldt was threatened with being dropped.  However he made the flight north and then proceeded to kick eleven goals.  Conversely, earlier in the year the Giants were being hailed as the team to make a huge mark, but their form has been pretty average since.    Unless there is a massive change of form, it looks unlikely if the Tigers will make the finals this year.

Collingwood 109 - 101 Eagles.
Now, had this been any other team I would have been cursing the umpire for a terrible decision to award a 50-metre free to the Pies late in the game which arguably broke the thugs, but I'm not.  NO, all those years of ducking and diving and generally cheating to gain advantage (read the Selwood brothers in particular) are coming back to bite them on their arses.  I only saw the final quarter and it was enjoyable only for the fact that it was close.  Skills from both teams were sloppy and both justifiably left themselves open to slaughter by the media.  But you'd have thought the Eagles were one game away from immortality such was the shite in today's West Australian.  Some things don't change.  Hmmmph. >:(

Port Adelaide 100-86 Hawthorn
Bloody work - bloody spoiled my chance to watch the top two teams in the comp.  My "second" team did not let me down though.  It was a close game but the Hawks major injuries probably swung the game for the Power.  The win puts the Power at the top by a clear game and a handy percentage.  (Now if only Freo had lasted the fourth quarter!)

Gold Coast 119-74 Western Bulldogs
The result wasn't ever in doubt and was expected.  What wasn't expected was the furore surrounding Gary Abblet Jr.  Only tonight was he cleared by the Match Review Panel for a deliberate elbow to the head of a Bulldogs' player.  Now, I'm all for watching the likes of Ablett and in previous years, Chris Judd, but when these two are being "forgiven" for their dirty tactics it is pretty annoying, setting a seriously bad example for young players. 

Carlton 81-76 Adelaide
The Crows were expected to win this one but the Blues upset the tipping again.  Both teams are scrapping for finals' contention and this seriously dents the Crows somewhat faltering season.  Even with one of the key forwards in the competition in Tex Walker, the Crows are just not getting it together.  Similarly with the Blues; the pressure of the Melbourne meeja and the history of this club is leaving a lot of people frustrated.  Ah well, another win for Zac Tuohy, I suppose.

AlriteHorse

Swans Vs Cats last night was a complete joke. I don't care how many players Geelong will say they were missing etc, you can't be a serious Flag contender and get tanked by that much.. As much as I love another win, I was hoping for a sterner test for the Swans.

And the Bloods roll on.
Allez les bleus! Forza azzurri!

TabClear

Quote from: AlriteHorse on May 30, 2014, 06:37:47 AM
Swans Vs Cats last night was a complete joke. I don't care how many players Geelong will say they were missing etc, you can't be a serious Flag contender and get tanked by that much.. As much as I love another win, I was hoping for a sterner test for the Swans.

And the Bloods roll on.

Cats were poor but a serious statement by the swans. If buddy and tippett are on form they are ummarkable. Two athletic freaks. With the runners they have in midfield and half back from Shaw Jack and hannelbery they are a serious outfit. They are a lot of people favorites now with the hawks poor run but if the hawks get their injured guys back in good time for the finals I would still fancy them.

Aerlik

Round 11 -  normal service resumes! (Indigenous Round, celebrating the contribution made to the AFL by our indigenous players).

(Well nearly "normal") Sydney Swans 148-38 Geelong
No, folks I did not miss out the no. 1 in front of the Geelong final score.  What you are seeing is the actual score and more to the point what I saw on the TV was either frightening (for the rest of the AFL) or heart-warming (Alrite Horse springs to mind!).  I cannot recall Geelong being walloped so badly in the match and as the two previous comments suggested, the Swans were devastating, especially their midfield.  Geelong were, conversely, deplorable.  And now the question is being asked: "Which team will lose to the Swans in the Grand Final?"

Collingwood 140-54 St. Kilda
For the first quarter I was sitting there thinking, righto, a decent game here.  There endeth my enthusiasm and I condemned myself for such presumptive shenanigans.  Collingwood are really firing now, despite the Saints being god-awful.  However their injuries and suspensions may slow them down a wee bit in the next few weeks but we're almost half way through the season and the Pies will be a finalist again.  As for the Saints, they are a very young panel which, if held together, will definitely improve.

Port Adelaide 95-75 Melbourne
The welcome resurgence of the Demons continues and only some rash decision-making prevented them from claiming a massive scalp.  The 20-point winning margin belies their efforts.  I only saw the AFL website highlights but it was close up to the last few minutes.  It is certainly refreshing to be lauding the efforts of Melbourne compared to the previous two years when the word effort was not in the club's vocabulary.  As for Port, well, they just keep on winning.

Brisbane 98-91 Carlton
Never expected.  Simple as that.  The bottom club were tough in a scrappy affair, but the lack of discipline of some of Carlton's big name players cost them dearly and our Pearce landed himself a handy free after being punched in the throat by Yarran.  And yet it didn't warrant any penalty by the Match Review Panel.  Strange.  For the winners, it's a pleasant win, for Carlton, there goes Top 4 if not actual Finals aspirations for this year.

Essendon 104-54 Richmond
The tigers came into this game full of confidence but left the place dejected.  They were shite.  Some of the effort would not have been lost on Melbourne of the previous two years.  Yes, that shite.  The game got a bit boring and monotonous after the first quarter but for me the highlight was Dustin Fletcher's 50-metre goal.  Not bad for a man approaching 400 AFL games and in his 21st AFL season.  The win seriously dents Richmond's finals aspirations and the Melbourne meejya are having a field day.  For the Bombers, the win keeps them within sight of the Top 8

Adelaide 109-77 Gold Coast
Tex returns, boots five goals and suddenly the heady heights of the AFL ladder are beginning to seem a distant dream for the Suns.  I didn't see the game but all reports suggest that Adelaide was convincing while Gold Coast were realising that no matter how many top picks a club is given, there is no substitute for cohesion and experience.

Fremantle 89-51 Western Bulldogs
The dogs dominated many of the statistics but the one which counted was in Freo's favour.  Not the best game I have ever sat and watched but it was good to get a win, stay injury-free and have no suspensions prior to the big game next Sunday.  I have watched better but an ugly win is better than a gallant loss.

Hawthorn 94-87 Greater Western Sydney
Just when people were hanging the Giants out to dry and calling the club a basket case, along comes a performance like this.  Whao, they were sooooo close to emulating their feat of Rd.1 when beating Sydney.  On a sad note, the Hawks coach is taking a breather due to ill-health.  Hope he pulls through ok.

North Melbourne 82-44 West Coast
A month ago I was in disbelief having watched Freo throw away a huge first quarter lead against the Roos only to lose by 19 points.  Lightening never strikes twice, surminsed the Chardonnay set;   well it did and damn did I enjoy watching this unfold.  The Eagles were woeful despite the amount of possession.  There is serious lack of cohesion among the players and all kinds of excuses are being thrown around as to why that might be.  But I don't care just as long as the fekkers keep losing.  The win keeps North's Top 4 aspirations very much alive.

Aerlik

Round Twelve

Geelong 107-102 Carlton
Many of us expected that Tuohy's Blues would be absolutely walloped by the Cats in revenge for the walloping the Cats got the week before.  What they didn't expect was to have umpires cost the Blues a great win in what was a great game to watch.  The game was down to the wire up to the very last minute before the Cats got their nose in front.  It is shocking that incompetence by match officials costs games and in some instances, careers.    There are mistakes, and there is just plain stupidity.

Hawthorn 123-79 West Coast Eagles
Yep, this was expected.  Nothing of note other than Jarred Roughead's 8 goals.  And this was the last game for Eagles' captain, Darren Glass who announced his immediate retirement today.  And not much coming through the ranks of the Eagles either.  As if I care.  Might just take Mini-me to the Eagles v. Suns game on Saturday and support the visitors  ;D

Port Adelaide 129-59 St. Kilda
As expected, another thumping for the Saints.  Port cruised through this game and hardly broke a sweat.  If you want to see what makes the AFL so addictive, take a look at Chad Wingard's mark on YouTube.  Not a bad effort from the lad.

Brisbane 95-87 Western Bulldogs
This was a must-win game for both teams.  It was dour but it was still exciting with some great long range scores from both teams.  Another decent auld performance from the Connaught man!

Essendon 81-66 Greater Western Sydney
The Bombers must have been thinking about the ASADA report due out later on in the week rather than the game and it showed.  They were expected to wallop the Giants but in the end were happy enough with the 15-point.  And if the 30-plus members of the Bombers who received communication from ASADA are implicated in anything untoward, it might not be so long before the Giants are walloping them.

Sydney 109-74 Gold Coast
The Swans were simply too good despite the best efforts of the Suns, a team now realising that to stay at the top they have to beat the best.  And things will get worse before they get better as the tough games ahead are bound to show.  And not long after his long-awaited comeback and pairing up with Buddy Franklin, Swans sharpshooter Kurt Tippett injured the knee again and is out for two weeks, just what the Swans don't need as they prepare for Port Adelaide which is getting back three first-team players.

Fremantle 90-50 Adelaide
I expected this game to be a tough struggle and for the first half I was beginning to fear that Adelaide's pre-season potential was clicking into gear as the Crows' midfielders were holding the much vaunted Freo midfield.  However, normality was restored in the third quarter and the boys won handily enough in the end.   ;)

North Melbourne 118-88 Richmond
If you want a lesson in how to throw away a game watch the third quarter on the AFL website.  Richmond were belting the Roos by more than 30 points at one stage and coasting but then the Roos decided to wake up and kicked 8 goals straight.  Needless to say there are some unhappy chappies at Richmond, and they play Freo on Saturday minus two of their most important players who were disciplined for some actions during this game. 

Collingwood 61-28 Melbourne
The score is deceptive.  Melbourne were a lot better than their score suggests.  Again, a crap umpiring decision turned into a 12-point  factor as a Melbourne goal was disallowed and the ball went up the other end and a goal scored by the Pies.  There was no doubt the Pies would win, but again there are refreshing signs from Melbourne.