Issue of Drugs

Started by theticklemister, March 05, 2014, 05:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

With Davy's revelation about the Clare team of a few years ago how prominent is drugs in the area you live?

In my local in Liverpool drugs are rife , when they use it in the toilet you see the boys come out of the one cubicle. Everyone knows the people who take it and the bar staff and manager too. Thats why it is not my local anymore.

When you go into town you do get offered it and see it happening openly in the toilets.

whiskeysteve

quit hanging around them toilets George Michael!

Cocaine is a helluva drug
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Bingo

Was in Liverpool for the Derby few weeks back and was in the Solly before the game (now called the Twelfth man or The Cabbage as it also was). Two lads in the toilet having a chat and one proceeds to have his wee sniff off the white stuff as casual as you like.

Think it would be settled down round home but you'd know where to get it and who'd be having it. During the good times, it was alot more common and people where more brass about it.

The Iceman

There was a stag party headed down south about 8 years ago. Bus load of lads, mostly country boys. I got on the bus and there was a massive bag of coke on the bus and lads all hitting it as casual as a bottle of Bo... Drugs have been about for a long time - even more so now. Terrible times.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Eamonnca1

Well there are drugs and there are drugs.  Pot / weed / cannabis / marijuana is relatively harmless, certainly less harmful than alcohol.  It's just an accident of history that marijuana was banned but alcohol wasn't (apart from the disastrous prohibition era in America). Walk around San Francisco, especially if it's a nice day and the date 4/20 coincides with a weekend, the city will be packed with pot smokers. I made the mistake of driving through the city on 4/20 last year and it took me forever to get across town. I never saw so many people in all my life, everyone heading for the parks to spark up.  Golden Gate Park was crammed and the smell of the stuff was everywhere, you'd probably get high just by walking around sniffing the air.   I'm sure the cops and everybody smokes the stuff. If they arrested everyone who did it they'd have to convert half the city's housing stock to jail cells to accommodate everybody. Legalization has already happened in two states and the rest are sure to follow.

CD

When I read 'Issue of drugs' I thought this thread was advice about distribution, who and where to get it, that sort of thing. Or maybe someone on here was blatantly issuing drugs or asking advice re. use of syringes v ingestion or smoking. It's been a long day
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Apparently so

Personally, I think they are wonderful if used in the right way. The majority of them are no more dangerous than alcohol ffs and we would be seeing less deaths if certain drugs were legalized and people knew what was being put into them

larryin89

Shoot to kill policy on all drug dealers and users , problem needs to be  eliminated . Streets of our towns and cities are full to the brim with junkie vermin. Can't be cured, eliminate, exterminate , bang bang , don't listen to their sob stories. Sin e.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Asal Mor

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 05, 2014, 07:53:46 PM
Well there are drugs and there are drugs.  Pot / weed / cannabis / marijuana is relatively harmless, certainly less harmful than alcohol.  It's just an accident of history that marijuana was banned but alcohol wasn't (apart from the disastrous prohibition era in America). Walk around San Francisco, especially if it's a nice day and the date 4/20 coincides with a weekend, the city will be packed with pot smokers. I made the mistake of driving through the city on 4/20 last year and it took me forever to get across town. I never saw so many people in all my life, everyone heading for the parks to spark up.  Golden Gate Park was crammed and the smell of the stuff was everywhere, you'd probably get high just by walking around sniffing the air.   I'm sure the cops and everybody smokes the stuff. If they arrested everyone who did it they'd have to convert half the city's housing stock to jail cells to accommodate everybody. Legalization has already happened in two states and the rest are sure to follow.

Cannabis / Hash is not harmless. It can seriously fcuk with your mind if you smoke enough of it. That's speaking from my own experience.   I'd still be in favor of legalisation though.

Eamonnca1

QuotePot / weed / cannabis / marijuana is relatively harmless

Eamonnca1

Quote from: larryin89 on March 06, 2014, 01:41:47 AM
Shoot to kill policy on all drug dealers and users , problem needs to be  eliminated . Streets of our towns and cities are full to the brim with junkie vermin. Can't be cured, eliminate, exterminate , bang bang , don't listen to their sob stories. Sin e.

Alcohol too?

Asal Mor

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 06, 2014, 03:52:23 AM
QuotePot / weed / cannabis / marijuana is relatively harmless

:-[ Ya know, I never even noticed the "relatively" Eamon. People saying Marijuana is harmless is a bit of a gear grinder for me, so I just jumped right in. On second reading, I agree with ya.

give her dixie

There is some great work going on in Colorado in relation to producing marijuana that helps to stop seizures. The story of 6 year old Charlotte Figi is well worth reading, as she went from having 300 seizures a week to 3 in 8 months. And she isn't the only one ......

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/09/charlotte-figi-6-year-old-marijuana-medical_n_3734283.html
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

The Iceman

I think its dangerous to just write off any drug as ok. Like Eamonn said some are relatively harmless if used, not abused and then I'd say some are very dangerous.
Marijuana is legalised in the state of Washington and people really are not sure what to do. There is certainly a 'stoner' epidemic in America from what i can tell with young children dabbling in drugs as early as some in Ireland would have been trying alcohol when we were growing up and a lot of young adults and adults smoking large amounts every day. but this is caused by the abuse of a drug, not the use. Much like alcohol is no longer about a social drink, or a relaxing bottle of beer at the end of the day, it has turned into a waste of money unless you're getting wasted.
There has to be some kind of medium.

I know that in the state of colorado medical marijuana stores were allowed to open. In 2 years more opened than there are Starbucks in that state. So there are either a lot of casual users or a lot of heavy users or maybe somewhere in between.

I don't know for definite if one drug leads to another but I do have a cousin who died a couple of years ago who started smoking weed at 16 and progressed to cocaine in his 20s and died at 35 from a combination of alcoholism and his addictions. I'd be wary of drugs in general - chances are my kids will try them and I don't know if there is much to do to stop them from experimenting but i think i can do plenty to help them understand the dangers so it doesnt go much further than experimenting....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Sidney

I somehow doubt lads on the Clare panel were doing much more than smoking the odd joint. And there's nothing wrong with that.