Mayo v Westmeath, Sunday March 9th.

Started by moysider, March 03, 2014, 07:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on March 06, 2014, 07:00:41 PM

Nah. Can't agree with any of this. For me Donie Vaughan is one of the most underrated players on the Mayo team. It seems to be a common thing for so called experts to talk about his positional sense and lack of defending ability. It's like something which they heard someone say once and because it sounds good it's repeated time and again.  You pick out one move in a match last year as an example to prove your point and yet ignore the phenomenal defensive performance that Vaughan put in for the match. A buddy of mine was giving out about Vaughan after the match because he wasn't making the runs forward. The lad can't win. For me Vaughan offers that toughness that Mayo have been missing for years in the back line. He gets in lads faces. What he offers to Mayo forward play cannot be underestimated either but I think the final showed that he's not all about galloping up the pitch to get on the end of scores.

If u read my post you will  see i didnt question Donals defensive ability i just dont think hes a 6.you say that Vaughan is underestimated well i disagree Dublin thought so much of him that they put Flynn on him to limit his influence in the final.
[/quote]

They recognised that Vaughan sets the tempo. His drive and ambition was a huge factor in blowing teams away in the early stages of last years championship. It was noticable v Kerry that things changed when he came on. We upped our game and got a grip. He brings a confidence, ambition and conviction we dont always see in our county players. It could be argued we have tecnically better players but we might not have many more influential ones.

mayoman dan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 06, 2014, 08:39:34 PM
Jesus dan, somebody better tell you how to quote properly on this! ;)

Im trying Farr il get the hang of these computer things yet

mayoman dan

Quote from: moysider on March 06, 2014, 10:10:49 PM

Nah. Can't agree with any of this. For me Donie Vaughan is one of the most underrated players on the Mayo team. It seems to be a common thing for so called experts to talk about his positional sense and lack of defending ability. It's like something which they heard someone say once and because it sounds good it's repeated time and again.  You pick out one move in a match last year as an example to prove your point and yet ignore the phenomenal defensive performance that Vaughan put in for the match. A buddy of mine was giving out about Vaughan after the match because he wasn't making the runs forward. The lad can't win. For me Vaughan offers that toughness that Mayo have been missing for years in the back line. He gets in lads faces. What he offers to Mayo forward play cannot be underestimated either but I think the final showed that he's not all about galloping up the pitch to get on the end of scores.

If u read my post you will  see i didnt question Donals defensive ability i just dont think hes a 6.you say that Vaughan is underestimated well i disagree Dublin thought so much of him that they put Flynn on him to limit his influence in the final.

They recognised that Vaughan sets the tempo. His drive and ambition was a huge factor in blowing teams away in the early stages of last years championship. It was noticable v Kerry that things changed when he came on. We upped our game and got a grip. He brings a confidence, ambition and conviction we dont always see in our county players. It could be argued we have tecnically better players but we might not have many more influential ones.
[/quote]

This is why i would like to see Donal given a chance at mf or named in the forwards but given a licence to drive us on and influence the game.This wont happen of course because were conservative old Mayo and we will have the tactical straight jacket on before we even get started

criostlinn

[/quote]

When I say underestimated I mean by his own. Your right Dublin did see Mayo's main threat came from the half back line. They dealt with this but it meant the whole Dublin half forward line was nullified. Didn't mean to be having a hop of you dan but when you say his positional sense is awful and his distribution is poor I wonder how you could fit him into midfield. The Mayo half back line is the strongest line we have and probably the best half back line in the  country but yet for some reason Vaughan gets no credit for his role in it

mayoman dan

Quote from: criostlinn on March 06, 2014, 10:58:34 PM

When I say underestimated I mean by his own. Your right Dublin did see Mayo's main threat came from the half back line. They dealt with this but it meant the whole Dublin half forward line was nullified. Didn't mean to be having a hop of you dan but when you say his positional sense is awful and his distribution is poor I wonder how you could fit him into midfield. The Mayo half back line is the strongest line we have and probably the best half back line in the  country but yet for some reason Vaughan gets no credit for his role in it
[/quote]

I know what u mean by our own underestimating him i heard a few supporters saying he didnt show up for the final but he was on Paul Flynn ffs.I think he has improved his distribution ive noticed he keeps it very simple now whereas before he was trying the difficult pass a lot and turning over possesion.If we paired him with a more defensive minded midfielder like aos or Barry Moran his lack of positional sense wouldnt be such a liability he would give us great mobility round the middle.Latly feel free to have a pop whenever u wish Croistlinn it would be rare when a man agrees with me about football ;D

moysider

Quote from: criostlinn on March 06, 2014, 10:58:34 PM

[/quote]

I wouldn t pay much heed to that. I was at a match where McDanger was booed. I heard people say they would never attend a Mayo game again if McHale was playing. And that s only a sample. Forget about that.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: muppet on March 05, 2014, 11:06:28 PM
Anyone from Westmeath here at all?

Croí??

Clearly you are hot favourites for this one at home.

Go away out of that muppet. You travelling down on Sunday? Don't forget to leave enough time to get your photo taken with Joe.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 07, 2014, 11:36:34 AM

Croí??

Go away out of that muppet. You travelling down on Sunday? Don't forget to leave enough time to get your photo taken with Joe.

Croi, can you give me directions to the ground?
I'll be driving down from Dublin.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 07, 2014, 01:14:41 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 07, 2014, 11:36:34 AM

Croí??

Croi, can you give me directions to the ground?
I'll be driving down from Dublin.

Take the second exit for Mullingar signposted Delvin and left at the top of the slip road. Shamrocks will look after your banger for you or else there is a free car park on your left just after the car park for St. Paul's Church. I'd imagine there'll be a decent crowd travelling from Mayo so I'd stick it that side of the canal as opposed to parking outside Cusack Park. You could always dump it beside the tunnel if you're feeling adventurous.

larryin89

How far from the train station is the ground?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Croí na hÉireann

macdanger2

maigheo

Hennelly.Harrison,Caff,Keane,Keegan,Vaughan,Boyle,A.O.S,Gibbons,McL,Doc,  Higgins      ,Varley,Freeman,Sweeney.I guess the one surprise would be Andy Moran dropping to the bench

moysider

Quote from: maigheo on March 07, 2014, 11:03:32 PM
Hennelly.Harrison,Caff,Keane,Keegan,Vaughan,Boyle,A.O.S,Gibbons,McL,Doc,  Higgins      ,Varley,Freeman,Sweeney.I guess the one surprise would be Andy Moran dropping to the bench

Thanks for that maigheo.

maigheo

Good start for Mayo.2.04 to 1.01 after 10 min