The first match you saw in Croke Park

Started by seafoid, March 03, 2014, 12:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newbridge Exile

My first match was the centenary cup semi final against Monaghan in1984, from memory I think it went to extra time before we got beaten

naka

Quote from: inexile on March 03, 2014, 10:23:21 PM
Quote from: naka on March 03, 2014, 10:17:46 PM
age 9
all Ireland semi final replay 1977 Armagh v Roscommon( we won by a point)
missed mass for the first time to get the bus(£2.50 return), had a wooden rattly, and a white tee shirt which had up Armagh written on it in black marker
went with my 18 year old brother our first time ever in dublin
remember the pitch invasion and I got my photo in the final day programme( my mother kept it in the house til she died)

Nice memory.
thanks it was
I was a blondy then
now a grey haired bitter man

Club Rossa

1984 All Ireland semi final,Tyrone v Dublin.Can remember it like it was yesterday.Sat in lower Hogan near midfield.Remember the Dubs having running battles with the Garda on the Hill.Then Tyrone came out and went straight to the Hill,followed shortly by the Dubs.Gerry Hargan wanted McGuigans jersey so much that he spent the entire game trying to tear it off him.Tyrone were denied a clear penalty in the 1st half when Patsy Kerlin was taken out of it when through on goal.We got a penalty in the 2nd half but McKenna blazed it over the bar.Dublin were far too good and won easily.Barney Rock finished with 1-7.Final score was 2-11 to 0-8.The other thing that sticfks in my mind was John Lynch hanging Kieran Duff in the wire at the Hogan Stand side.

Chimley

Quote from: moysider on March 03, 2014, 10:41:21 PM
Age - go away from around me! Depressed enough as it is.

1978 - Mayo lose a high scoring game to Dublin. The habit started early for me. Back then a league title meant a bit.

Attended with 2 brothers.

Memories. Liam Donoghue scored 2 goals. I m sure we were a rabble though. Fine players in our team but Dublin were organised. We had so many top players in 60s and 70s that were let down so badly by ???? as well as letting the real supporters and kids like me down. The last 25 years are a golden era in comparison. It was a mess.

Snap. Still remember Willy Nallys mop of hair and the fact that we were second best to a supremely confident Dublin team.

ballela-angel

"Wrong on both counts for me which is why I don't gamble. Was thinking of a great seat you had for one of the games, now thinking that wasn't Croke. Memory not what it used to be!"
I believe you're thinking of 1968 when I was in the dug-out

That awkward moment - Not sure if you do have free time or if you're just forgetting everything!

joemamas

Quote from: Chimley on March 04, 2014, 12:15:51 PM

1978 - Mayo lose a high scoring game to Dublin. The habit started early for me. Back then a league title meant a bit.

Memories. Liam Donoghue scored 2 goals. I m sure we were a rabble though. Fine players in our team but Dublin were organised. We had so many top players in 60s and 70s that were let down so badly by ???? as well as letting the real supporters and kids like me down. The last 25 years are a golden era in comparison. It was a mess.

Snap. Still remember Willy Nallys mop of hair and the fact that we were second best to a supremely confident Dublin team.

I assume the game you are referring to is the league final, i was also at it picked up at boarding school on the way , it was like getting out of jail. Did Billy fitz not score one of the goals into the canal end in that game, a low shot that completley wrong footed Paddy Cullen. ?

passedit

Quote from: ballela-angel on March 04, 2014, 12:21:20 PM

"Wrong on both counts for me which is why I don't gamble. Was thinking of a great seat you had for one of the games, now thinking that wasn't Croke. Memory not what it used to be!"
I believe you're thinking of 1968 when I was in the dug-out

That's the one!
Don't Panic

Don Corleone

Quote from: ballela-angel on March 04, 2014, 03:11:45 AM
"So it looks like I am provisional oldest lemon here until some auld timers like Hardy and Lar naParka row in - My money's on Ballela Angel, win double for the best story as well. Don't let me down now BA!"

I think I am from the submittals so far - 1959 AI semi-final, Down V Galway - We got stuffed!

Good one Ballela, I was at the final that year and it was my 1st. time to see Mick O'Dwyer. He was giving about 6" to Joe Young and destroyed him. Micko was always a tremendous wing-back and would be up there with any of them.

Enjoy the travel pass....Hold on.....Not yet I fear..... :(
Why did you go to the police? Why didn't you come to me first?

dec

What age were you? 10
Who was playing, what year  ? 1977 All-Ireland Football semi-final replay Armagh v Roscommon
Who did you go with ? My Dad
Do you remember anything about it ? Up by three points near the end, then two, then one but we held on.

Chimley

Quote from: joemamas on March 04, 2014, 01:12:10 PM
Quote from: Chimley on March 04, 2014, 12:15:51 PM

I assume the game you are referring to is the league final, i was also at it picked up at boarding school on the way , it was like getting out of jail. Did Billy fitz not score one of the goals into the canal end in that game, a low shot that completley wrong footed Paddy Cullen. ?

According to Willie Joes archive, you are right. It's a dim and distant memory at this stage.

OakleafCounty

What age were you?  9
Who was playing, what year  ? Derry v Dublin All Ireland Semi Final, 1993
Who did you go with ? Parents
Do you remember anything about it ? That it was probably one of the closest and most exciting games ever played in Croke Park. I remember Derry going 3 points up at the start and then being 9-4 down at half time. I remember staring at the ground for the majority of the second half until Seamus Downey scored our 14th point and I'll never forget going 15-14 ahead and jumping on my mothers back when the final whistle went. Sheer joy would be an understatement. The actual final didn't match the feeling I think most Derry fans had at the end of that game.
I also remember the feeling of awe I had when entering the old Cusack Stand. One of the best days of my life!

Croí na hÉireann

What age were you?  8
Who was playing, what year  ? Galway v Cork All Ireland Hurling Final, 1986
Who did you go with ? The aul lad
Do you remember anything about it ? Dropping the siblings off at Dublin Zoo for the day and sitting in the front of the car with a smug grin on my face going up the North Circular Road. The first big roar coming up to the stadium, the wondering of what just happened and the irresistible feeling of wanting to get inside that continues to this very day. Getting lifted over the waist high stile. The wooden benches in the Hogan Stand. The watch and wait for the teams to come out from the old corner of the Hogan and the Canal End. The arm nearly getting yanked out of its socket by the aul lad in the rush to get the flag I was holding in the air every time Galway scored. The silence in the car on the way home.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Aristo 60

First time at Croke Park was league final - Down v Meath 1990

First memory of Croke Park on TV - Kerry v Tyrone 1986

First memory of Croke Park on radio (on holiday in the Free state) - Tipp v Antrim 1989

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: seafoid on March 03, 2014, 12:36:28 PM
What age were you?  9
Who was playing, what year  ? Armagh v Clare Div 3 playoff 1975
Who did you go with ? Father
Do you remember anything about it ? Not really

tbrick18

What age were you?  15
Who was playing, what year  ? National League Final 1992 Derry v Tyrone
Who did you go with ? Father
Do you remember anything about it ? Anthony Tohill taking one of his soon to be trademark 65s and it dropping into Plunket Donaghy's hands on the goal line when he decided to drop it on into the net to give derry a goal and ultimately victory! A Good Day!