The first match you saw in Croke Park

Started by seafoid, March 03, 2014, 12:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

What age were you? 6  I am now officially old
Who was playing, what year? Kerry V Meath All-ireland final 1970
Who did you go with? My father, sat on his knee in upper hogan,
Do you remember anything about it? Stiil remember it, it was such a treat, tall buildings in Dublin, crowd at game, Din Joe Crowley goal

Sidney

What age were you? 6
Who was playing, what year  ? 1986 All-Ireland Club Finals, Kilruane McDonaghs v Buffer's Alley, Burren v Castleisland Desmonds
Who did you go with ? My Da
Do you remember anything about it ? Was in the upper deck of the Hogan. Buffer's Alley were winning by a good bit and let it slip.

deiseach

Quote from: seafoid on March 03, 2014, 01:27:50 PM
That was such a sickener, Deiseach. And a marker for everything that followed.
Played Waterford 14 times and never won. FFS.

Cheer up, it's only 10 times!

AZOffaly

What age were you?  8

Who was playing, what year  ?  Offaly v Galway, 1981 AIHF

Who did you go with ? My Da

Do you remember anything about it ?  On the old Canal end, right back in the corner. We only decided to go up that morning after mass. Da brought camping stool from our trailor tent, and I stood on it during the match. I also remember stopping in Harry's of Kinnegad on the way home.

larryin89

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 03, 2014, 01:12:08 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on March 03, 2014, 01:01:49 PM
88 he means obviously .

Yip I do and I would have been 8, as I said only remember the stands from that game.

I remember the Semi v Tyrone the following year very well. Amazing difference a year makes.

Yep very true , if I'm honest 88/89 are the first years I remember about the actual football , the occasion is different , I remember specific things about the day in 85 when we beat the Ross in the Hyde but not the actual game, same as 87 game v Galway in Castlebar remember been so unimpressed with the low scoring I kept thinking the scoreboard was wrong. Lol
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

5 Sams

What age were you? 13
Who was playing, what year  ? Down minors 1977
Who did you go with ? Lads from the club.
Do you remember anything about it ? Down won, it pissed rain and Dublin hammered some other crowd in the other match ;)
The Aristocrat Years

magpie seanie

What age were you? 12.
Who was playing, what year?  Mayo V. Meath 1998 AI Senior Football Semi Final. Actually don't think I've been to Croker with that brother since.
Who did you go with? My brother and the rest of our county champion U-12 winning squad and mentors.
Do you remember anything about it?  Mayo lost. Trying to see Michael Lyster in the box behind us in the Nally Stand.

AZOffaly

You were 12 in 1998? Away outta that mebollix.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 03, 2014, 02:00:02 PM
What age were you? 12.
Who was playing, what year?  Mayo V. Meath 1998 AI Senior Football Semi Final. Actually don't think I've been to Croker with that brother since.
Who did you go with? My brother and the rest of our county champion U-12 winning squad and mentors.
Do you remember anything about it?  Mayo lost. Trying to see Michael Lyster in the box behind us in the Nally Stand.

You have just done what I did earlier and got your years mixed up. Galway won Connacht in 1998.

Do you mean the 1988 match I was talking about earlier?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 03, 2014, 02:05:38 PM
You were 12 in 1998? Away outta that mebollix.

I think he means 1988, must have had a traumatic influence on us Connacht men, as none of us can get the year right.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

AZOffaly

I guessed that. I'd be putting in a retrospective appeal if I lost that U12 final :D

nrico2006

What age were you? 13
Who was playing, what year?  Dublin v Kilkenny in the Leinster Hurling Semi-Final 97
Who did you go with? Club u-14 hurling team on the way back from the All Ireland Feile NaGael in Waterford
Do you remember anything about it?  Seeing DJ Carey for the first time.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Any craic

same as Aontroim Abu, 1977 All Ireland Final, in the Canal End. A life-changing experience.

Shamrock Shore

What age were you? 8
Who was playing, what year?  Dublin v Kerry in the 1975 All Ireland Football Final.
Who did you go with? Me Da. Hoisted over turnstiles and sat on his knee at the very back of the Upper Cusack
Do you remember anything about it? Everything. The rain. The rain. Mickey Ned getting poleaxed. Spillane lifting Sam. The crush getting out after.

borderfox

Mayo v Dublin 1985 semi final. Kevin mcstay ( I think) pointed a 45 or free to level  for a draw.
I went with my da, (he is originally from Mayo). I was 9 years old.  We were seated in the hogan stand lower around the 45 closest to the hill.
Ive rarely gone to a game with so much excitement and tension since.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.