Iconic sporting images

Started by Eamonnca1, March 01, 2014, 03:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Happened again in Castlebar during the 1992 Mayo vs. Roscommon match. Opposite happened that day, we were in control and Mayo benefitted from the stoppage.

Main Street

Quote from: ballela-angel on March 08, 2014, 03:41:51 AM
Quote from: 5 Sams on March 06, 2014, 11:15:36 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 06, 2014, 06:16:41 PM
Quote from: ross4life on March 04, 2014, 05:22:30 PM
Leo Barry's mark in the dying seconds of the 2005 Sydney Swans grand final win
That's just an ungainly scramble for the ball by an ugly mob.

This is a mark.
Mick O Connell  soaring above Sean O'Neill and John Purdy

That's a foul! Mick's knee in Purdy's back. Despite being "probably"the best footballer that ever lived in many people's opinion.....he wasn't afraid to indulge in other ways to gain an advantage! Even Kerry people have told me yarns.
Dara O'Se often had the same action when rising for a ball
Darragh usually came into the back of an opposing player with both knees in lance position, with the force of an express train.
Micko had already leapt like a gazelle, Purdy was not placed to compete and as his bow shape suggests, he leaned backwards into Micko's already upright knee.

ross4life

Quote from: Syferus on March 08, 2014, 03:50:46 PM
Happened again in Castlebar during the 1992 Mayo vs. Roscommon match. Opposite happened that day, we were in control and Mayo benefitted from the stoppage.

Yes back in 1992, we had a very good record in Castlebar before Enon Gavin broke that crossbar, was Mayos first home win for a while against us.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

laoislad

Quote from: ross4life on March 07, 2014, 06:01:07 PM
Ultan Harney v Tyrone in Minor AI semi final last summer.

I think the reaction from Cathal Compton makes the picture.
Whats iconic about it??
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ross4life

Quote from: laoislad on March 08, 2014, 04:19:40 PM
Whats iconic about it??
Not a lot was just going with the high fielding pictures..
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Quote from: laoislad on March 08, 2014, 04:19:40 PM
Quote from: ross4life on March 07, 2014, 06:01:07 PM
Ultan Harney v Tyrone in Minor AI semi final last summer.

I think the reaction from Cathal Compton makes the picture.
Whats iconic about it??

Micko could learn a lot from Ultan's catching form.

thejuice

I'm sure we all remember where we were when Big Daddy beat Giant Haystacks!
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Rufus T Firefly

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on March 23, 2014, 12:50:15 AM

[/quo

That Hug
June 27, 2010Curiosities from ArgentinaLeave a comment
An image can describe things better than a million words. And it's precisely an image what made me write this. Or more like a series of images, that would make anyone's heart stop for a minute, especially in this times when another World Cup is being held.
Together, this pictures constitute an incredible mix of historic witness, artistic work, and naked humanity, and this has won "El abrazo del alma" (as this series of photographs have been named) many awards. Roughly translated it means "The Hug from the Soul" and just yesterday it was their 32nd anniversary.
32 years ago, yesterday, Argentina won its first ever World Cup, in 1978. With a chaotic background of the most bloody military regime South America has ever seen; fear, ignorance, passion, anxiousness, and loads of other feelings only people who lived it can express, Argentina was achieving the national dream, a tiny little bit of fake fresh air our suffocated society needed to stay alive for a bit longer.
Here I leave you the impressive shots and hope you like them. Below, there's the short story behind them.

25th June 1978. River Plate's football stadium. Argentina has just become World Champion for the first time. Seconds after the referee calls the end of the match.
Tarantini, one of the Argentinean players lets himself fall on the pitch and starts crying. Fillol, the goalkeeper, goes up to him to share the same feeling and kneels next to him to put their arms around each other.
A young fan whom had been hiding for an hour before the end of the match, comes running towards them. He wants to share this glorious moment with his idols. They'll never be so close to him again, and only God knows how long will it take for these circumstances to repeat themselves.
But he's got no arms.
He himself recalls it: "I saw the players right there, so close to me...they held each other, so I had to stop. And right then the sleeves of my blazer went forward and rested on both their backs. That's when Alfieri took the picture and it looks as if the three of us were holding"
Victor Nicolás Dell'Aquilla was 22 at that time, and he had lost his arms during his childhood after an accident with an electrical post.
Pictures by Ricardo Alfieri (Senior) for the classical Argentinean sports magazine "El Gráfico".

Categories: art, football, history, journalism, society, UncategorizedTags: 1978, argentina, art, cup, football, fouuballers, from, history, hug, militar, photo, photography, regime, soul, the, world

bennydorano

Quote from: 5 Sams on March 06, 2014, 11:58:42 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on March 06, 2014, 11:26:02 PM
Tyrone's Niall McKenna in the 2008 All-Ireland Minor Final replay against Mayo.

One of the most spectacular sports photos I have ever seen. Brilliant.
Jesus that is some leap

BennyHarp

That was never a square ball!!

No1

I'm pretty sure I recognise that green helmet.   :o

ziggysego

Quote from: No1 on April 06, 2014, 09:44:26 PM
I'm pretty sure I recognise that green helmet.   :o

I bet...
Testing Accessibility