Iconic sporting images

Started by Eamonnca1, March 01, 2014, 03:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rootthemout

Seen one years ago of Teddy McCarthy catching a ball with his knees on shoulders of think was a dub player but haven't been able to find,was unbelievable height jumped

stephenite

ballela-angel

The player on the left is Brendan Barden who captained Longford in the 60's - Not sure of the occasion, but maybe it's a National League semi-final or final, or maybe the Leinster final of 1968 - Had lunch with him last week and he's doing grand
That awkward moment - Not sure if you do have free time or if you're just forgetting everything!

AQMP

Quote from: Hardy on March 03, 2014, 12:20:38 PM
Competition - name the two captains and the occasion.

If you can name the referee, you might just be dangerous.

If ballela-angel is right and that's the Longford captain, then it's Longford v Dublin (looks like the late 50s early 60s) and a quick check of the records shows the 1965 Leinster final was between these two counties.  The Dublin captain sporting an early skin tight geansai...John Timmons??

ballela-angel

"If ballela-angel is right and that's the Longford captain, then it's Longford v Dublin (looks like the late 50s early 60s) and a quick check of the records shows the 1965 Leinster final was between these two counties.  The Dublin captain sporting an early skin tight geansai...John Timmons??"

I checked with Brendan Barden overnight and here's his e-mail to me "That was the Leinster final 1965 against Dublin John Timmons was Dublin captain we were beaten by two points having missed a penalty and Timmons scored two goals with two high lobbed kicks which went straight over the keepers head, keeper never played again - I think the ref was from Louth  maybe mcardle"

That awkward moment - Not sure if you do have free time or if you're just forgetting everything!

MusclesMagoo

Quote from: ross4life on March 02, 2014, 12:51:29 AM

Sam Maguire rests on a stool in the village of Knockcroghery after Roscommons first senior All-Ire win in 1943

Brilliant picture

seafoid

Lansdowne Road 95

Dennis Taylor

Hillsborough

The Sun

Crossmaglen before they started winning all Irelands

brokencrossbar1

Small point of order we had at least one in the bag by this stage,  I  think this photo is from the 1999 Final against Pearse Ogs. This one would have been better!

EC Unique

Tony Baloney

ballinaman

Ireland vs Italy, Dalymount Park 1985

maddog

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 04, 2014, 02:52:41 PM

Small point of order we had at least one in the bag by this stage,  I  think this photo is from the 1999 Final against Pearse Ogs. This one would have been better!

Is that wee Jim in the photo ?

brokencrossbar1

It is maddog,  and Arthur 'Rook' McEvoy. 

AZOffaly

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 04, 2014, 02:52:41 PM

1999 Final, on your own home ground? No wonder ye went 85 years undefeated or something like that.