Iconic sporting images

Started by Eamonnca1, March 01, 2014, 03:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

I think we had about 4 Finals won at home,  hardly our fault that our ground was the county Ground! This actually must have been the 2000 final now that I think of it as we played Pearse Ogs at their 'home ground'  the previous year.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 04, 2014, 03:53:27 PM
I think we had about 4 Finals won at home,  hardly our fault that our ground was the county Ground! This actually must have been the 2000 final now that I think of it as we played Pearse Ogs at their 'home ground'  the previous year.

Very good
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

Maddog,  I just realised wee Jim is actually in both photos!

maddog

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 04, 2014, 04:11:51 PM

I see that now myself, thats him by the Ogs no 6. Great aul player, always good to watch. Him and Finbarr Ryan for the Harps used to have some good old tussles.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: maddog on March 04, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

I see that now myself, thats him by the Ogs no 6. Great aul player, always good to watch. Him and Finbarr Ryan for the Harps used to have some good old tussles.

That is actually Cathal Short,  Jim is on the very left edge of the photo. 

AZOffaly

I was thinking that. He'd be 15 no?

ross4life

Leo Barry's mark in the dying seconds of the 2005 Sydney Swans grand final win

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

brokencrossbar1

muppet

MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: ardal on March 03, 2014, 03:39:26 PM

John Tracy beating Steve Ovett; sorry don't know how to post photos either.

No photo but this is the video, always worth watching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVxxaj1j9nE
MWWSI 2017

maddog

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 04, 2014, 04:36:25 PM
Quote from: maddog on March 04, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

That is actually Cathal Short,  Jim is on the very left edge of the photo.

I see that alright now

Hardy

Quote from: ballela-angel on March 04, 2014, 12:27:40 PM
"If ballela-angel is right and that's the Longford captain, then it's Longford v Dublin (looks like the late 50s early 60s) and a quick check of the records shows the 1965 Leinster final was between these two counties.  The Dublin captain sporting an early skin tight geansai...John Timmons??"

I checked with Brendan Barden overnight and here's his e-mail to me "That was the Leinster final 1965 against Dublin John Timmons was Dublin captain we were beaten by two points having missed a penalty and Timmons scored two goals with two high lobbed kicks which went straight over the keepers head, keeper never played again - I think the ref was from Louth  maybe mcardle"

Spot on ballella (and AQMP and Brendan - good to hear from him). John Timmons was a tremendously skillful player, even if he carried a fair bit of condition. He had great midfield duels with one of the greatest Meath players ever, Mick Dunican from my own club, who is not remembered today because he was unfortunate enough to play in the middle of the 13-year period between Meath's second and third All-Irelands. I'd name Mick and Ken Rennicks as the best Meath players never to win a championship medal.

Timmons had a most unusual, but effective dummy technique that I haven't seen used by anybody else. He'd shape to kick the ball but instead of dropping the ball on his foot, he'd drop it beside it, on the outside while following through with the full leg swing. The dummy happened so late in the swing that the opponent trying the block was out of the game as Timmons collected the hop and carried on.

Hardy

Oh - the referee was Willie Rock.