Comprehensive timeline of the Garda/Sgt McCabe/Shatter affair

Started by muppet, February 24, 2014, 04:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidney

Independent News and Media's role in this hasn't got enough attention.

Stephen Rae, the group editor, is a former editor of the Garda Review and sacked journalist Gemma O'Doherty for doing her job properly.

Paul Williams has spread misinformation and downright lies throughout the course of this story in attempt to cover up for the Gardai and the Government. A mouthpiece for the establishment of the very worst kind. Paul Reynolds of RTE is now doing likewise.

This is serious journalistic malpractice.

Hardy

Mick Clifford of De Paypur yesterday on the radio described some elements of the media as "the paramilitary wing of the Garda press office". An apPAULing comment!

I have to reluctantly concede that Shatter was brilliant in the Dáil today. Nobody could lay a glove on the arrogant little shit. It was irritating to watch him smirking at that embarrassing ape from Wexford. There's an almighty stink from this but the keystone cops combination of Martin, Wallace, Daly and GSOC are a sorry force to put up against Steve Silvermint.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on February 25, 2014, 04:12:56 PM
Very little talk on here about it.

I am taken aback at the lack of interest in this story.
Is this due to the general public being exhaust by all the corruption scandals?
Or do they not care about the corruption?

It feels very similar to the scandal in the Catholic church.
Whistle-blowers are seen as the problem and the wrongdoers are protected by those in power.

Are the Garda and ministers untouchable?

The publics apathy will not help to address this and actually plays into hands of those who wishes this story disappears.

I'm just sitting here trying to digest it all.  It's such a  convoluted chain of events, and it's such a massive clusterf*** that it takes quite a bit of reading just to understand bits of it.  There's several narratives going on at once and each one is like a Watergate in itself. 

You've got the Boylan drugs business. 

You've got the McGrath case where he was up on charges in two violent cases, still left free to roam the streets and went on to murder that poor woman. 

You've got the penalty points saga (the INM part of that alone is that big I'm sure there's a book in it), the well-connected people getting the points thrown out, 1 in 5 people having points quashed, massive losses in revenue to the state, etc. etc..

You've got the defensiveness of Callinan and him trying to block the whistleblowers at every turn.

You've got the bugging of the GSOC HQ.

It just seems to go on and on and on in a massive trail of corruption and incompetence. It's mind-blowing.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 27, 2014, 03:08:28 AM

Whistle-blowers are seen as the problem and the wrongdoers are protected by those in power.

The publics apathy will not help to address this and actually plays into hands of those who wishes this story disappears.

I'm just sitting here trying to digest it all.  It's such a  convoluted chain of events, and it's such a massive clusterf*** that it takes quite a bit of reading just to understand bits of it.  There's several narratives going on at once and each one is like a Watergate in itself. 

You've got the McGrath case where he was up on charges in two violent cases, still left free to roam the streets and went on to murder that poor woman. 

You've got the penalty points saga (the INM part of that alone is that big I'm sure there's a book in it), the well-connected people getting the points thrown out, 1 in 5 people having points quashed, massive losses in revenue to the state, etc. etc..

You've got the defensiveness of Callinan and him trying to block the whistleblowers at every turn.

It just seems to go on and on and on in a massive trail of corruption and incompetence. It's mind-blowing.

Mind-blowing. Absolutely.

I think a lot of the lack of chat on here is due to the one-sidedness of any conversation. Nobody is going to argue about or stand up for any of the perpetrators.
So aside from the early sniping about "things down South", what else is there so say?
Hasta la victoria siempre

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on February 27, 2014, 04:26:48 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 27, 2014, 03:08:28 AM

Mind-blowing. Absolutely.

I think a lot of the lack of chat on here is due to the one-sidedness of any conversation. Nobody is going to argue about or stand up for any of the perpetrators.
So aside from the early sniping about "things down South", what else is there so say?

There are plenty of Fine Gael fan boys on here who love to talk about them, their silence on this subject is deafening  (have these posters no integrity?).
There are also plenty of SF fan boys who love having a pop at other parties and they are also saying nothing??

Hardy

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on February 27, 2014, 10:36:03 AM
There are plenty of Fine Gael fan boys on here

Who are they? I can only think of one.

What's your take on it, mayogodhelpus?

Rossfan

Quote from: Sidney on February 26, 2014, 11:44:49 PM
Independent News and Media's role in this hasn't got enough attention.

Stephen Rae, the group editor, is a former editor of the Garda Review and sacked journalist Gemma O'Doherty for doing her job properly.

Paul Williams has spread misinformation and downright lies throughout the course of this story in attempt to cover up for the Gardai and the Government. A mouthpiece for the establishment of the very worst kind. Paul Reynolds of RTE is now doing likewise.

This is serious journalistic malpractice.
That fcukin newspaper group have been a disgrace for nearly 20 years.
Their support for fcukbag Bertie including their infamous front page editorial in 1997 castigating the outgoing Govt for taxing the daylights out of people, their total support of the whole property/builder/banker bubble, their total anti Irish, anti anything remotely socially orientated and of course their whole spreading Garda (mis)information is appalling.
The change of control from O'Reilly to O'Brien just means replacing one egotistical powerful rich ba5tard for another.
Sadly they are the biggest selling newspapers in the State :-[
Just goes to show -control the media and you've got it sorted.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: Hardy on February 27, 2014, 10:59:17 AM

You could be right hardy, there may be only the one.
The reason I wrote that, is due to him being very vocal in the past (not on this topic though). This lead to me to think, that there are a lot of FG supporters on the board.
Also looking at percentage who vote for them, I'm sure there are plenty of other FG/FF/Green/Labour voters on the board.(FF/Greens were in power at the start of timeline of events) 

Main Street

Quote from: Hardy on February 27, 2014, 12:05:46 AM
Mick Clifford of De Paypur yesterday on the radio described some elements of the media as "the paramilitary wing of the Garda press office". An apPAULing comment!

I have to reluctantly concede that Shatter was brilliant in the Dáil today. Nobody could lay a glove on the arrogant little shit. It was irritating to watch him smirking at that embarrassing ape from Wexford. There's an almighty stink from this but the keystone cops combination of Martin, Wallace, Daly and GSOC are a sorry force to put up against Steve Silvermint.
I didn't see the Dail performances myself but accounts differ on the perceptions of the merits of Wallace and Shatter's contributions in the Dail.
Miriam Lord in the Irish Times http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/wallace-cuts-through-the-waffle-for-all-the-good-it-will-do-1.1705973?page=1

"Shatter was well prepared, mustering his rebuttal arguments well. The Government backbenchers relaxed."

"Mick Wallace. A squeeze of lemon to cut through the lardy speechifying and point-scoring of the past few weeks. He won the day in the Dáil – for all the good it'll do him".

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on February 27, 2014, 11:24:07 AM
Quote from: Hardy on February 27, 2014, 10:59:17 AM

You could be right hardy, there may be only the one.
The reason I wrote that, is due to him being very vocal in the past (not on this topic though). This lead to me to think, that there are a lot of FG supporters on the board.
Also looking at percentage who vote for them, I'm sure there are plenty of other FG/FF/Green/Labour voters on the board.(FF/Greens were in power at the start of timeline of events)

To be fair, it is pointless trying to discuss politics with anyone so entrenched in  a single party. They are not going to come into the discussion with anything like an open mind.

If your intention is to go around in circles asking questions, with him attempting to dodge while throwing out deflectory counter-accusations so you can accuse him of being hypocritical and using whataboutery, go ahead.

If you want a reasoned debate (on any aspect of politics), keep away from the fanboys.
Hasta la victoria siempre