Comprehensive timeline of the Garda/Sgt McCabe/Shatter affair

Started by muppet, February 24, 2014, 04:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

I have to admit I was very confused about what was really going on. The spying/no spying affair is all very odd and then there is the  allegations made to Connolly and then those about him and what he said. Then you have the distasteful scret taping of Connolly and Mick Wallace using Dáil privilege to read out a transcript of the tape. Then throw in the penalties points affair and the arrest of Claire Daly.

But here is a brilliant report outlining the facts, and leaving you to form your own opinion.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/02/24/the-thin-blue-timeline/

Reading between the lines there appears to be a serious attitude problem in certain areas, including high ones, of our police service. The system of allowing them to exclusively investigate themselves has to end, imho.
MWWSI 2017

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

heffo

seafoid

easytiger95

Thanks muppet - well worth reading - it looks like, at the very least, a terrible culture of complacency and cover-up in the Guards.

All of a Sludden

I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Itchy

Disgraceful. Similar to some of the stuff that went on in Donegal. Shatter is an arrogant git, seems like he just wants to shut all genuine concerns down. Ombudsman having meetings in a cafe so they won't be bugged and lunatics let loose on society.

Never beat the deeler

Jesus. Rotten to the core. Nobody clean enough to investigate properly.

Depressing stuff

Edit:
Forgot to mention - fair play to Sgt McCabe for his role in this and refusing to let it go. Takes serious balls to be a whistleblower and history has taught us that they rarely get treated well
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnneycool

And you expect some bankers to do time when drug dealers are swanning about with immunity?

Stall the Bailer

Very little talk on here about it.

I am taken aback at the lack of interest in this story.
Is this due to the general public being exhaust by all the corruption scandals?
Or do they not care about the corruption?

It feels very similar to the scandal in the Catholic church.
Whistle-blowers are seen as the problem and the wrongdoers are protected by those in power.

Are the Garda and ministers untouchable?

The publics apathy will not help to address this and actually plays into hands of those who wishes this story disappears.

magpie seanie

The fact that Shatter and the Garda Commissioner are still in their jobs tells you an awful lot about this country. Scandalous but unfortunately has become routine.

Denn Forever

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on February 25, 2014, 04:12:56 PM
Very little talk on here about it.

I am taken aback at the lack of interest in this story.
Is this due to the general public being exhaust by all the corruption scandals?
Or do they not care about the corruption?

It feels very similar to the scandal in the Catholic church.
Whistle-blowers are seen as the problem and the wrongdoers are protected by those in power.

Are the Garda and ministers untouchable?

The publics apathy will not help to address this and actually plays into hands of those who wishes this story disappears.

Can anyone provide Cliff notes for this scandal?

Trying to read that link leaves you gobsmacked and unable to believe that it keeps getting worse.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

johnneycool

You know what, Shatter and the two Garda Commissioners involved don't give a f**k as they're above all this and at the very worst will walk away with their big pensions into the sunset.

The ruling elite in the south get away with whatever f**k they want and are covered by their mates in the media, guards and judiciary.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnneycool on February 26, 2014, 10:02:56 AM
You know what, Shatter and the two Garda Commissioners involved don't give a f**k as they're above all this and at the very worst will walk away with their big pensions into the sunset.

The ruling elite in the south get away with whatever f**k they want and are covered by their mates in the media, guards and judiciary.
It is now part of the fabric of southern politics which appears to explain the general apathy towards these matters.

johnneycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 26, 2014, 01:38:48 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on February 26, 2014, 10:02:56 AM

It is now part of the fabric of southern politics which appears to explain the general apathy towards these matters.

I'm sure there's a certain level of skulduggery amongst the ruling classes in every country but in the south they don't even bother to cover it up that well, safe in the knowledge that nothing will ever come of it. Fill a few potholes for the locals and you'll get elected again.